Football/Soccer - Your bets here ;)

My prediction is that almost no one in the United States will give a crap.
Soccer is kind of the metric system of sports. There's the world and then there's the US.

map_of_countries_that_dont_use_metric_system.jpg

I wonder why so many americans don't give a damn about soccer. I mean, the US isn't even that bad at soccer.

Nevertheless, my bets are on brazil this time. Because, you know, home-team.

My hopes are on germany, though. Because after the two last minute failures on previous world cups, I think they deserve it.

Mexico played very well last night.

Netherlands is on again, tonight. :)

Well, the Dutch have this nasty habit of shining hot like the sun and fading fast... Beating Brazil and then losing to Belarus...
There really is no telling.

For the record, I know nothing of soccer and care even less. Just about the only names I recognize are Ronaldo, Robben, Van Persie and Dirk Kuijt. Last three obviously because they're from my country.
Dirk actually comes from my village and lives almost next to my dad, although both have and will sell their houses shortly. Too bad he's on the bench again, really hard worker and an extremely nice guy, no ego that I've noticed.

Soccer is kind of the metric system of sports. There's the world and then there's the US.

map_of_countries_that_dont_use_metric_system.jpg

I wonder why so many americans don't give a damn about soccer. I mean, the US isn't even that bad at soccer.

Nevertheless, my bets are on brazil this time. Because, you know, home-team.

My hopes are on germany, though. Because after the two last minute failures on previous world cups, I think they deserve it.

That's because they're up to their eyeballs in baseball, basketball and what they call football, a game where the ball is not a ball and it gets carried in the arms for most of the duration. Hardly any feet ever touch that... thing. Still. I get that those sports are more dynamic in that there's more scoring in usually less time going on. Easier on the attention span.

Nothing to do with old national feelings, I like and admire Germans a lot. But I never liked their soccer. They always seem to be so... tense. Technical. Very on the defense with outbursts, usually on counters when the other team hasn't reassembled yet, that produce the goals. And Schwalbe is most obviously a German word.

Then again. What do I know.

And Schwalbe is most obviously a German word.
Kind of ironic, if you ask me, as they pretty much never do it (compared to some other nations that is).
But I see how some people might dislike the german playing style. After all, 4-5-1 is a pretty defensive formation.

Betting: Brazil
Hoping: Spain lose their match today and the national team is sent back, thus saving billions of dollars to us, tax-payers. In an ideal world FIFA disappears

what they call football, a game where the ball is not a ball and it gets carried in the arms for most of the duration. Hardly any feet ever touch that... thing.

Hehe, this reminds me of an old thread, it might have been even on the old setbb forum. It all boiled down to the notion that this sport would be more aptly named "egghand" :lol

I like the german so called machine. I find it speedy, technical and creative. Being kind of bored of spain and their domination football (though I still get chills when Iniesta is at the ball). Wouldn't mind a more minor well playing nation to get far and even to win. Go Bosnia & Herzegovina, Chile, Belgium, Costa Rica...

Kind of ironic, if you ask me, as they pretty much never do it (compared to some other nations that is).
But I see how some people might dislike the german playing style. After all, 4-5-1 is a pretty defensive formation.
I knew that would get you. ;)

That said, I'm just voicing a general impression from years of only sideways looking at some key games which we obviously lost.

There was one time we actually deserved a world championship win...

wow. Those Australians are not really living up to their relaxed reputation. They keep falling down! Highly unsportsmanlike.

Dutch got lucky today. Chile were impressive. Spain's tiki taka, whatever, is finally killed off. I still think Germany will win it, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom