Focus of New Development

Where would you like to most see improvements?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i posted a massive list of fx ideas ages ago now and one of those ideas was for FM synthesis...which is basically modulating the frequency of of one synth voice with another. it would really open up the available sounds you could get. i'm gonna bump that list again :)

i posted a massive list of fx ideas ages ago now and one of those ideas was for FM synthesis...which is basically modulating the frequency of of one synth voice with another. it would really open up the available sounds you could get. i'm gonna bump that list again :)

I never really "got" the DX7, but I would love to hear what some forum synth gurus such as yourself and the chef would cook up! :)

Yeah. It makes for kind of messy work-arounds. You can drop a block on the grid and leave it unattached to the signal chain, assign an IA to it, then assign the same control as that block to other blocks you want to control. Then you'll get axe-mode bi-directional control.

I think there is nothing wrong with the UI it is totally functional. Also also think ppl get hung up with so many options. It must be a guy thing, if it is there we want to mess with it. There is no reason why someone can not just choose any amp and cab. Tweak drive, level, pres, depth, BMT and be off and running with good tone. The advance parameters can all be ignored, they don't need to be bypassed just because someone is scared of them but does not hold the self discipline to not touch then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never really "got" the DX7, but I would love to hear what some forum synth gurus such as yourself and the chef would cook up! :)

well the object is not to model the DX7 and it's by no means the pinnacle of synthesis, but we have three synth voices in each synth block, so it seems to me that with a bit of tweaking on the internal routing of the block, we could massively expand the possible number of sounds. the simple "operator" synth in ableton live works on this very principle of modulating voices with other voices, which you may or may not hear and may or may not be pitched and it makes some incredible noises.

well the object is not to model the DX7 and it's by no means the pinnacle of synthesis, but we have three synth voices in each synth block, so it seems to me that with a bit of tweaking on the internal routing of the block, we could massively expand the possible number of sounds. the simple "operator" synth in ableton live works on this very principle of modulating voices with other voices, which you may or may not hear and may or may not be pitched and it makes some incredible noises.

I still own a Casio CZ-101. PD synthesis also makes some great noises.

Well in my opinion Cliff and FAS have done a pretty damn good job of determining the path for development for about 7 years or so now. I don't think that we've ever come to a point where we were clammering for longstanding bug fixes like happens with many products and we're now waiting for v14 of the firmware which is not 14 releases, but many more than that. My point is that there is a constant development going on even when we don't ask for it or even think about it. I'd wager that whatever is suggested in this thread has already been taken into consideration many times and Cliff is working on what is possible, what is important, and what he feels inspired to do at the moment. I doubt that anything we can come up with here is going to be news to the man.

The only suggested change that I would probably argue against as being impractical is the user interface overhaul. It's been the same UI since the first generation and changing it up would probably create more confusion for the users than improvement IMHO. Plus we're talking about that little green screen; it's not like it can become a full color touch sensitive pad or something. Plus what changes would be made that improve the user experience? Perhaps something like wraparound for cabs and stuff, but with the limited real estate and the level of patch creation available I don't see how you can come up with something more intuitive that what we have.

I don't think that we've ever come to a point where we were clammering for longstanding bug fixes

Good point... but this one has rendered my Tuner un-useable for the last year

Kinda resigned to a clip-on Snark now, but it seems a shame. Also odd that no one else is coming across the same problem - am I really the only user who has one hooked up to Sequencer sending PC, CC and MIDI Clock messages..?
unsure.gif

In order:

Modulation
Verb/Delay (a very close 2nd)
Dirt
Synth/Wah/Pitch (pitch #1)
Amp/Cab (I'm sure there are minimal developments still possible, but I'm blown away by the current FW's modeling, and IRs are now the primary improvement... I think... although Cliff continues to prove that he has more up his sleeves)

I would like to see further refinements on the effects as a whole in the Axe FX. There isn't a pole for this option so I am casting my vote to other. Given where the percentages are at the time of this post I would say the an effects option would be valid.

Not voting here, but just to throw this out, to demonstrate how much of a MONSTER the AxeFxII is, and further could be, if FAS decided to create feature-specific firmwares for the AxeFxII, that concentrate on heavily expanded/detailed aspects of groups of blocks and their functions:

- reverb/delay firmware (TRUE STEREO, one processor for delay/reverb, one processor for true spillover across presets...oooh....ahhhh)
- amp/cab firmware (imagine multiple mic placement on cabinets with a virtual 3D interface? woooo...)
- effects only firmware (concentration on specific rack effect and stomp effect emulations)
- EQ/compressor/mic pre firmware (vintage and current)
- looper/delay firmware (put that boomerang to shame, please)
- footpedal drive/stomp & amp model firmware ($10,000 worth of the most desirable vintage/boutique drive pedals in one rack box? Yup)
- *my favorite* bass guitar version firmware
- hyper-routing version firmware (true morphing of sounds via modifiers, expanded Scene functions, more scene controllers, more parameters exposed to modifiers - ahem, bass/mid/treble/presence - & more modifier iterations!)
- pitch/whammy/synth firmware
...etc, etc, etc...

of course, token iterations of some effect blocks could be included to make each firmware version more broadly usable, but stripping down the "low focus" fx blocks to accommodate the higher priority focus of the firmware version.

Could you imagine the damage you could do in a recording project with this one machine? The end user could decide which firmware to use depending on how they implement it into their performance situation, taking the specific block functions to an entirely new level...sort of the opposite of being "all things to everyone" in a SINGLE firmware version, but rather, focusing on individual functions and allowing the user to decide where they want the focus to be.

I would PAY for these options. I understand this goes against FAS philosophy, but ...

IMO, this would also attract new users who have more specific high-end needs (perhaps cutting the tech staff some cpu processing slack to implement some of the features that power users feel are "missing"), as well as existing fanboi users who would consider buying a second unit....for example, especially in the EQ/Mic Pre/Vintage tube compressor department, in order to replace finicky, quirky hardware. Redundancy of hardware/firmware architecture would mean you'd have a backup as a by-product (with 2 units). Would I pay another $2k+ so I could get rid of just about every other piece of rack gear I own for live and studio? Absolutely! I've got a pair of EL8s that would fit that bill perfectly.

Pretty much anything and everything Simeon ever posted:) ie...SYNTH block!! Fm synthesis would be a must...it would offer an incredible palette for sound design!!!

I chose amp\cab. We are constantly seeing Cliff come up with amazing leaps in these areas and after all, that's the primary purpose of this box. All of the other features are just amazing gravy.

Back
Top Bottom