Focus of New Development

Where would you like to most see improvements?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnLutz

I applaud all the hard work the Cliff & team put into the beautiful black box. I'm thankful for ANY new features. Having said that though, I would like to get a sense of what others think is the most important area for future development. Personally, I think the Amps are amazing, and would like to see more development on the mod/delay side of things. What about you?

The improvements I would most like to see:

It needs a 6th option.
Cliff go on a hard earned vacation. That would get my vote.

To be honest I am now at the point where I most likely will miss a new feature.
There are still amps from FW9 I need to test. There are still so many features I need to try.
So many choises, so little time.

Last edited:
Other: User interface and simplification. Both the amp and cab list could be pruned of the old stuff (like models/cabs ported from Axe-Fx Standard) and many UI things in the wish list forum implemented. The sound is already fantastic, the user interface isn't.

I feel I'm almost at the point where once FW14 is solid and reliable, I'll stop keeping half an eye out for updates

The II is capable of far more than I ever use and the tones..? Well, since FW9 on the Ultra, I've never had a problem dialling up something I like. UltraRes was more of a "Yeah, I guess there's a bit of a difference" for me than the night and day phenomenon that some discovered. Swapping virtual tubes etc is a nice option, but not something I tend to be drawn to as a solution to achieving the 'final 5%', even if I do like the fact that it's there if I want

I liked the Dimension D when it was added, but do I personally hanker after more effects / emulations..? Nope, but I suspect that's largely because I've never got that hands on with many!

So yeah, the returns from continued development appear to be diminishing for me, but that's no big deal and certainly no complaint because I've always been perfectly cool with what it is / was anyway
thumbsup.gif

I love that Cliff keeps on striving for perfection and I believe that by our Fractalite nature we'll always be curious about what is contained within further updates should there be any beyond FW14, but I don't harbour any strong feelings about what form any further work should take
smile.gif

Paint me happy then I guess
guitar.gif

I would think "Other" would be "effects modeling" (e.g. Phase 90, EHX Freeze, Digitech Whammy, UniVibe, etc....), or is that implied?

Not sure what to make of the "Dirt" selection.

What does "dirt" mean?

A few more OD pedals would be nice.

Oh and a Korg SDD3000 preamp :)

Not particularly fussed though, happy with what we got right now.

It needs a 6th option.
Cliff go on a hard earned vacation. That would get my vote.

To be honest I am now at the point where I most likely will miss a new feature.
There are still amps from FW9 I need to test. There are still so many features I need to try.
So many choises, so little time.

Sounds like it's you who needs a vacation ;)

Until very few pros would choose not to use real tube amps in the studio I think there is still room for improvement in the amp/cab area and that is also my area of concern. I can still get a better tone from a mic'ed up Hughes & Kettner. So that is my desired area of focus. Besides the effects on the Axe-FX are already such high quality I don't feel like there is a deficiency there. As for dirt, that is interesting but again if the amp and cab are "perfected" that is of secondary concern. Why don't we just err on the conservative side and make everything perfect:)?

Last edited:
I'd love to see the ability to assign effects to a control group, then have that control group assignable to an IA (in Axe-mode) on the MFC. Example: assign all the delay blocks in a patch to "group 1" and be able to turn them all on/off with one button. Or another example: assign any flanger/phaser/chorus to a group for single-IA control. I use flange in some patches, phase in others, but rarely both in one patch, but I've had to tie up three IA buttons just so I have access to flange, phase and chorus. For my needs I might assign them all to a "modulation" group and control them with one button.

It's different than, but somewhat similar to scene controllers. We have scene controllers, x/y, and other advanced control; I think that assignable groups would be a really great functional addition.

(I know there are work-around to achieve this kind of thing, but it can get pretty messy.)

Modularity in the platform:
- Cards with new input/output panels that can be swapped like Metric Halo's products, allowing users to upgrade the same box for a long time.
- And ability to put those cards/panels into different kinds of boxes, a box for pedalboard, a box for shallow depth racks, a box for deep racks, or even hybrid boxes where 1/2 of it is on the floor, the rest in a 1 space rack unit, etc. etc. This could easily be the next physical iteration and evolution of the platform.

More bass amps and cabs would be nice too.

And my old favorite: Patch-assignable Inputs!

The only thing that I would improve upon is the UI. Give it a complete overhaul and more intuitive. I'd also like to see an "auto match" feature for when one loads a different amp. To have the cab block auto select the "ideal/usual" cab for the selected amp would be a God send for me.

I sincerely hope that whenever the AFX3 is developed, more attention is payed to the UI to make things less.... "daunting" for the new user. Perhaps have a switch that enables advanced parameter tweaking that newbies wouldn't necessarily concern themselves with. I think that a lot of people feel intimidated by the tweaking and want a more "plug and play" setup. This would achieve that and potentially attract the older generation of players who feel like that they couldn't get their heads around all the tweaks etc.

Or another example: assign any flanger/phaser/chorus to a group for single-IA control. I use flange in some patches, phase in others, but rarely both in one patch, but I've had to tie up three IA buttons just so I have access to flange, phase and chorus.

i don't understand why you haven't assigned your IA switch to one of the externals and then assigned that external to all the modulation fx in all your patches. one switch. not messy at all.

Odd. I am just the opposite: the amps and cabs are of such high quality, they are of no concern, but the looper, reverb and other effects are not up to snuff at times... different strokes...
Until very few pros would choose not to use Axe-FX in the studio I think there is still room for improvement in the amp/cab area and that is also my area of concern. I can still get a better tone from a mic'ed up Hughes & Kettner. So that is my desired area of focus. Besides the effects on the Axe-FX are already such high quality I don't feel like there is a deficiency there. As for dirt, that is interesting but again if the amp and cab are "perfected" that is of secondary concern. Why don't we just err on the conservative side and make everything perfect:)?

FAS seems to be on a roll... I vote to let FAS decide what to do next.
Well I believe it was FAS who started this thread, asking for our input. So I agree, let FAS decide what they want to do next, but part of what they want to do is focus on things users want.

i don't understand why you haven't assigned your IA switch to one of the externals and then assigned that external to all the modulation fx in all your patches. one switch. not messy at all.

Because you lose axe-mode that way, and control becomes unidirectional. In other words, that switch doesn't change states as scenes change.

I think there is a huge opportunity in the Synth department, being able to make the guitar not sound like a guitar will be a huge advantage over amps and traditional rigs. I think there is a lot of room here for growth and will differentiate Fractal from competitors even more. If you can make the guitar start to sound like a keyboard more and more, you begin to see that the uses for the unit will become endless.

I'm happy with what I got, but since you have brought up a pie in the sky question, that's my answer!

Back
Top Bottom