FM9 into Fender FR-12 video clip and initial impression

Cainer

Experienced
Overall very impressed with this thing! Just had a short time where I was able to crank it up and give it a good go. This was the Super Verb model, with some drive on in a couple clips. Compared to the EV wedge I've been using it sounds quite a bit more "realistic" for lack of a better term, fuller - really nice sparkle like a real Super has. Plenty loud too - I had it up about 2 o'clock and the FM9 about noon - I think it'll hang with the band live, we shall find out tomorrow night!

The only thing it lacked to me was the extreme bottom end, which I only noticed when I tried an octave down effect - didn't have as much as the EV did. But unless you're using pitch-down effects or tuning way low, this probably isn't a huge issue. Still, would be nice if it had just a wee bit more extension into the lower frequencies for those times when you want it. Also, a sandwich dispenser and draught beer on tap.

I ended up running it with the bass rolled down a touch and the cut knob up to maybe 8 o'clock. Just to tame some of those highs. That may be in my preset though. As far as being 'amp in the room' well this is probably as close as I've heard anything do it. My house isn't the ideal acoustic environment, but it's all I had today. Will get some rehearsal space booked at some point to keep honing.

As far as the infamous hiss, I forgot it was a thing - so I guess I didn't notice it lol

Have started using modified version of the OFM9G layout setup and it's made things far easier - that'll also get it's maiden voyage tomorrow night in Houston.

Just ran some typical SRV stuff for reference since he's the Super Reverb GOAT, and some twangy stuff too. If all works out I may try to save up my duckets to get a second one of these.

Great tone and great playing! Are you using it as a backline and running another out to the PA? It sounds like you could keep up with a band and it could be your amp in the room without any PA help, like in a rehearsal room or small stage.

Sounds good Gary. Looking forward to hearing how it held up with the band. I'm thinking of grabbing one to give my brother for Christmas to go with an FM3 for a portable live rig he can use for guitar or bass.

Great tone and great playing! Are you using it as a backline and running another out to the PA? It sounds like you could keep up with a band and it could be your amp in the room without any PA help, like in a rehearsal room or small stage.
thanks! Yes, I'm using it right behind me tilted up at me for my 'backline' and then running Out 2 of the FM9 to the FOH so I can control both levels independently, although I ended up just adjusting the volume on the FR-12 on stage, which was pretty handy. It worked well on Friday night- I had to turn it up a bit at one point, but then actually turned it down to split the difference as it ended up being too loud, so good to know it has the horsepower if needed. I still want to tweak my FM9 presets a bit based on hearing them in another room - I don't have an ideal acoustic environment at home to tweak.

thanks! Yes, I'm using it right behind me tilted up at me for my 'backline' and then running Out 2 of the FM9 to the FOH so I can control both levels independently, although I ended up just adjusting the volume on the FR-12 on stage, which was pretty handy. It worked well on Friday night- I had to turn it up a bit at one point, but then actually turned it down to split the difference as it ended up being too loud, so good to know it has the horsepower if needed. I still want to tweak my FM9 presets a bit based on hearing them in another room - I don't have an ideal acoustic environment at home to tweak.
This is why I like FRFR combos which include at least a bass/medium/treble correction. It's always simpler even if the FM9 offers quick access with "Perform"

This is why I like FRFR combos which include at least a bass/medium/treble correction. It's always simpler even if the FM9 offers quick access with "Perform"
yeah it was really handy - I did have the FM9 set up with some quick controls on the perform tab to tweak EQ at some key (in my mind) frequencies), but once we got going in the heat of battle (and I'm wearing earplugs) it's kind of shooting in the dark to get too surgical with EQ moves. I was overall happy with the tone - just want to take another crack at my fuzz settings as they were a little less wooly than I would have liked. Also might make some adjustments to the input gain on the amp model itself - at lower volumes I tend to want that higher, and as the volume goes up, I find I need less.

In any case, here's a quick clip recorded side-stage on my phone to give you an idea of what went down:

yeah it was really handy - I did have the FM9 set up with some quick controls on the perform tab to tweak EQ at some key (in my mind) frequencies), but once we got going in the heat of battle (and I'm wearing earplugs) it's kind of shooting in the dark to get too surgical with EQ moves. I was overall happy with the tone - just want to take another crack at my fuzz settings as they were a little less wooly than I would have liked. Also might make some adjustments to the input gain on the amp model itself - at lower volumes I tend to want that higher, and as the volume goes up, I find I need less.

In any case, here's a quick clip recorded side-stage on my phone to give you an idea of what went down:

It’s got a bit more gutsy sound that compliments your Strat’s sound. Very nice!

The input gain changes needed as the volume increases is what Cliff talked about in The "Modelers Don't Clean Up with the Volume Knob" Myth, especially the few paragraphs. I like having enough volume and gain that the guitar is just below the threshold of feedback, where the strings begin to whine and I can turn the guitar towards the amp to trigger it and then adjust the angle to control it.

The Rotary block would sound killer with another cab. Maybe get the 10” to get a bit more punch and have the option of using a smaller cab when the situation calls for it.

PS- the gain/volume changes and feedback work really well with my Strats. I don’t know if it’s because they’re solid body or the scale length or single coils or the string gauge or a combination of all of them, but they really respond well and are fun when riding that edge.

Last edited:
It’s got a bit more gutsy sound that compliments your Strat’s sound. Very nice!

The input gain changes needed as the volume increases is what Cliff talked about in The "Modelers Don't Clean Up with the Volume Knob" Myth, especially the few paragraphs. I like having enough volume and gain that the guitar is just below the threshold of feedback, where the strings begin to whine and I can turn the guitar towards the amp to trigger it and then adjust the angle to control it.

The Rotary block would sound killer with another cab. Maybe get the 10” to get a bit more punch and have the option of using a smaller cab when the situation calls for it.

PS- the gain/volume changes and feedback work really well with my Strats. I don’t know if it’s because they’re solid body or the scale length or single coils or the string gauge or a combination of all of them, but they really respond well and are fun when riding that edge.
yeah I like the idea of having a second cab and maybe running stereo, though not sure how much of that effect will get through to the audience or whether it'd be mostly noticeable to me. Right now I gotta save the $$ though - bein' a musician don't pay for $%# :/

yeah I like the idea of having a second cab and maybe running stereo, though not sure how much of that effect will get through to the audience or whether it'd be mostly noticeable to me. Right now I gotta save the $$ though - bein' a musician don't pay for $%# :/
Don't you still have the EV? Or are you using that as your monitor/mix?

I picked up an FR-12 today to give to my brother for Christmas along with my FM3 that has about 25 hours on it. Since they only had an open box FR-12 in stock, I feel I had a moral obligation to test it a little bit. I grabbed him the 12 because he plays guitar and bass and I figured the extra bit of bass extension might pay dividends there.

It sounds great at low-med volumes. I could see the hiss being an issue for people that are full on modeller raised and aren't used to hearing background hiss through their interfaces, but it's nothing compared to most actual tube amps I've used.

Now I just need my wife to step out of the house so I can do some proper 'rattle tests'. Love the built in tilt stands too they work great. I might grab an FR-10 for myself just for jamming with friends and such, but my Bose S1 Pro's are sooo light and the battery makes hooking up a breeze because I just need one plug for my FM and I'm golden.

My new FM9 came yesterday and I spent the day exploring it and watching a few of Cooper Carters training videos on it, worth the money!
Day 2 the FR12 arrived.

I am pretty blown away by how good it sounds. Nice low end and plenty of volume. I think it is a great value for the money. I don't really care for using headphones for practice and did really want to hassle with plugging it in to start into an effects return of one of my ams.

The hiss is slow low it is a non issue for me. Not as loud as some of the overdrive pedals are when turned on with my amps. I can barely hear it. Glad I saw this post and heard the demo playing.

Next I will start playing around with running this into my PS-100 and 2x12 in my music room when we play Saturday. If I don't like this another FR-12 may be the ticket.

Just gigged with the FM9 into FR12 combo again last night - really happy with it - that fender is putting out plenty of volume, keeping up with my hard-hitting drummer no prob (FM9 was about 1 o'clock, FR 12 was maybe 2 o'clock).
Probably the most "amp-like" feel I've been able to get live - will be interesting to see how the FR-12 sounds as it breaks in a bit - that was just gig #2.
I'm also still tweaking the FM9 - can't wait until the blackface amp updates they rolled out on the Axe III make their way to the FM9! The Superverb and Plexi models are all I'm really getting into at this point for live use - they just do everything I need at this point!

I feel like the FR-12 pumps out more volume than my EV ELX112p but it's pretty long in the tooth so that might be a factor.

Last night I ran the FR-12 with everything at noon and the cut knob at about 8 o'clock. I don't mind a little bass bump lol

Back
Top Bottom