FM9 Firmware Version 8.00 public beta 2

You know that the release notes mention specifically only 2 amp models requiring a reset, right?

There's no need to reset the Amp block in all presets...
Pardon my ignorance, but for these amps that need to be "soft" reset... Does this mean we have to manually add back the custom settings we had before the update?

Pardon my ignorance, but for these amps that need to be "soft" reset... Does this mean we have to manually add back the custom settings we had before the update?
Also still confused on this.

Let's say I have a preset that was designed by Cooper Carter that I downloaded. We are now on a new firmware with new amp tones (yay!). If i reset the amp block, I am basically losing the settings that were chosen for the preset by the author?

I really like how the amps take drives now. I'd always been a bit embarrassed to say that I couldn't tell many of the drive blocks apart. Sure, I could pick out a fuzz/metal zone/TS but beyond that, I just heard the amp being pushed with a tiny bit of flavor from the drive. Now it seems a lot more apparent that, e.g., the TS really slams the mids, and I can still hear it within the amp's response to it.

I had the same concern (not hearing adequate variance between different drive block models) and actually started a topic about it at one point. Thought I might be setting something up incorrectly in my signal chain, such as gain staging or input settings, or have a bum cable or a failing FRFR. I suppose the fault could still easily have been with something in my setup. Anyway, made some tweaks and it got better, but the drive models still seemed a little homogenous compared to some of my other modelers; particularly if I introduced relatively moderate amounts of gain in the amp model. Knowing full well that increasing the drive parameter in an amp model tends to mask some of the subtleties of a drive model that differentiate one from another. Looking forward to rolling through the drives in the new beta software.

So is that to say that final FW releases do automatically refresh?
No. If the version number changes, then RANF will happen automatically. Firmware 12.3.4 Beta 3 and 12.3.4 Release both have the same version number. So if you’ve already loaded Beta 3, installing the final release version will not automatically kick off a RANF.

Last edited:
What I do is as follows:

0) Make sure that you have made a backup ;-)
1) Make sure on the FM9 itself you check: Setup -> Global Settings -> ToneControlDisplay = IDEAL
2) In FM9Edit go to Tools -> Manage Presets -> Press CTRL+A to select all presets
3) Click Right Mouse Button
4) Select 'Reset Amp Blocks'
5) Grab a coffee, tea, beer or fine bottle of whiskey and wait patiently for the process to finish
6) Look passionately, with love and respect at your FM9 and start listening to even more glorifying tones.

Hope this helps ;)
Thank you, Maurice! Once you do these steps, it changes the sounds of your existing presets, correct? I'm wondering if you load your backup again to make sure your presets aren't affected much.

Back
Top Bottom