FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you imagine this would work?

There are more possible blocks than switches.

What if there are effects you never turn off - why waste a switch on that?
If I'm understanding his original statement, he already had the switch assigned to the effect, and then changed the effect to a different type, and was expecting the scribble strip to change to reflect that. In which case, the fact that there are more blocks than switches shouldn't really matter.

The root of the confusion though, I think, is that a switch is tied to a specific block instance, and he changed from a phaser to a formant filter, so it's no longer the same block, despite being in the same place in the grid. I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to have the editor detect this situation and automatically offer to change the switch assignment, but it's also possible that the user still wants that switch to control the phaser and is planning to put it elsewhere on the grid, so doing it automatically would be a bad idea.

With all the talk about CPU, just how risky is it running this preset? It's been my go-to and hasn't crashed yet. I've sat there and stared at it to see if the "warning" message flashed but it hasn't as far as I've seen.
I've been having problems switching presets/scenes when I get over 80-81%. I've needed to simplify a few of my kitchen sink presets to make them work again.

With all the talk about CPU, just how risky is it running this preset? It's been my go-to and hasn't crashed yet. I've sat there and stared at it to see if the "warning" message flashed but it hasn't as far as I've seen.

View attachment 134488

I had a similar problem and tweaking the Plex-Delay on my Preset got the CPU usage below 80%. There might be something similar in your Preset that would just get it under that 80% mark. In my case I reduced the number of delays from 8 to 6 (or 4), and it actually didn't affect the overall Preset too badly. In your case with the gapless now, it might be easier to break this Preset into 2 separate Presets, although that would only really be possible (so that you retained everything as it is here), if there is never an occasion when everything is switched on.

Has anyone else had a situation where the FM9T has started up with a random preset loaded? I switch the unit off, come back a few hours later, or next day and the Preset it starts up on is something different (and not just the slot next to what was loaded previously, something completely random, even a Preset I haven't used for months on one occasion). It's happened 3 times now, so I don't think it's User error. I don't want to raise it as a Bug without good reason. If no-one else has seen the behaviour I'll leave it. If there are others that can confirm this, I'll raise it as a Bug.

View attachment 134488
“I’ve driven this mountain road with one wheel on the edge of the cliff for weeks, and I haven’t gone over the cliff yet. How risky is it to continue doing that?”

The fact that you’re still alive is not a good measure of the risk you’re taking. :). A single gust of wind — high signal level burst, new firmware —could change everything.

“I’ve driven this mountain road with one wheel on the edge of the cliff for weeks, and I haven’t gone over the cliff yet. How risky is it to continue doing that?”

The fact that you’re still alive is not a good measure of the risk you’re taking. :). A single gust of wind — high signal level burst, new firmware —could change everything.
Haha. Well it's not like the FM9 is gonna burn up on me. I guess the worst that could happen is it gets a spike and cuts out? I'm only playing at home so even that wouldn't be that bad.

200.gif

Haha. Well it's not like the FM9 is gonna burn up on me. I guess the worst that could happen is it gets a spike and cuts out? I'm only playing at home so even that wouldn't be that bad.

View attachment 134531
As long as there’s no danger of bringing the gig to a grinding halt, why not? But if you ever get invited to a jam in a friend’s basement, know that it will choose that time and venue to lock up on you. :)

As long as there’s no danger of bringing the gig to a grinding halt, why not? But if you ever get invited to a jam in a friend’s basement, know that it will choose that time and venue to lock up on you. :)
I have no doubt you are right lol. Now with gapless I can trim it down a touch though. I probably will just to be on the safe side.

Possible issue?

Please take a look at my presets. I set up a song to have separate Intro, Verse and Chorus presets. These are pared down from the original presets as I have some of Moke's stuff in there for acoustic and some 3rd party cab IR's so I don't want to post with that in there. If I combine everything into a single kitchen sink preset I go over the CPU limit, so I need to do separate presets.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but most of the time when I switch from Chorus back to Verse, I can hear something like 2 clicks or jumps (sorry guys, terrible description, I know). It happens when transitioning between all 3 at times. It might be a little hard to hear it, if I have the 3rd party stuff in there, the problem seems worse and easier to hear.

I'm running the latest FM9 Edit, 1.02.08. I'm using headphones. I tried disconnecting the USB cable, no difference. I'm using per preset and I had a previous issue where I had to take off all the Holds and set each foot switch Hold to Unassigned. Let me know if you need more info. TIA for any help you guys can provide.
When asking for help, it really helps us help you if you make sure that the Cab block points to legitimate cabs, not empty user IR slots. Also, when pulling blocks from the preset, when there's a resulting empty parallel path, if at all possible, please adjust the cabling so the sound is a reasonable facsimile of the sound you want.

We can't tell what the original preset looked or sounded like so we're flying blind making fix-ups. People who want to help shouldn't have to fix things so we can get sound to output because, if we do, we could actually, inadvertently, fix the problem you want help for.

Thanks.

That said, after removing the empty parallel paths and pointing the Cab block to Factory 2 #516, when using headphones I hear no clicks. There's a tiny gap probably because the Amp blocks are changing settings. Looking at the gaps in my DAW shows them to be between 0.03sec down to less than 0.01sec.

I saw that there are some scene controllers set, but didn't see where they were doing anything useful. Removing those when they're not in use should help because there's no reason to tell the CPU to do something that is going to be ignored.

Last edited:
When asking for help, it really helps us help you if you make sure that the Cab block points to legitimate cabs, not empty user IR slots. Also, when pulling blocks from the preset, when there's a resulting empty parallel path, if at all possible, please adjust the cabling so the sound is a reasonable facsimile of the sound you want.

We can't tell what the original preset looked or sounded like so we're flying blind making fix-ups. People who want to help shouldn't have to fix things so we can get sound to output because, if we do, we could actually, inadvertently, fix the problem you want help for.

Thanks.

That said, after removing the empty parallel paths and pointing the Cab block to Factory 2 #516, when using headphones I hear no clicks. There's a tiny gap probably because the Amp blocks are changing settings. Looking at the gaps in my DAW shows them to be between 0.03sec down to less than 0.01sec.

I saw that there are some scene controllers set, but didn't see where they were doing anything useful. Removing those when they're not in use should help because there's no reason to tell the CPU to do something that is going to be ignored.
Thanks for the heads up. So are you saying those presets change seamlessly for you? I’m still hearing something twice when I go from chorus back to verse. And there’s a lag as well. What could I have done to cause that?

Thanks for the heads up. So are you saying those presets change seamlessly for you?
I'll say that in a band situation, whether live or in the studio, the transitions would work really well for me.

There's a tiny bit of gap, barely into the 100ths/second, which in my reality would not be heard. I'd have loved that "gap" when I was using any other switching amp in my past, tube or digital.

I’m still hearing something twice when I go from chorus back to verse. And there’s a lag as well. What could I have done to cause that?
And you resaved your presets with the new firmware, and the global settings are set to "all"?

If so, contact support@fractalaudio.com directly, and, in the matter of course, submit the MINIMAL preset that duplicates the problem you're seeing. At that point you can submit the third-party blocks because the author of the block would want to know if they have a problem just as Fractal would. That means you'll need to strip the preset down, block by block, until it has the bare minimum blocks that still show the problem. We do that as a kindness to them and to the community, because the sooner they can fix the problem the sooner everyone benefits.

I’m still hearing something twice when I go from chorus back to verse.
I have tested a bit with your presets but ended up with two identical presets with just an IN and OUT block.
1707488432197.png

Listen to this... I'm switching between those two (identical) presets just before the 0:02. You hear a short 'fill-the-gap-sound'.

I'll make a few assumptions here based on what i hear/see: i think the fill-the-gap-sound is something you define as 'something twice'. I also think that 'fill-the-gap-sound' is not yet processed in the second preset (you're switching to) with all it's effects... That could cause you to hear a two-step transition from the first to the second preset.

(FWIW i'm still on beta 1 but i don't think that this is different in beta 2.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom