FM9 Firmware Version 3.00

I installed this version along with everything that is available for updates at this point that are at full release versions. I was on V1 before that. It looks to me like they made some efficiency gains between V1 to V3. I was able to add the two additional blocks that I wanted in my main preset and am just under 77% CPU now. That was pushing me up too high in V1. I no longer feel like I may need the turbo model. I have everything in this preset that I wanted from the beginning. The two blocks I added are compressor and EQ.
They're always looking for ways to optimize the efficiency of the code, so, over time we've seen reductions in the CPU % overall. Occasionally they'll have to do something that adds a bit more CPU usage, so the rule of thumb is to keep the CPU % of a preset below 80%. I try to keep mine below 78%, and if I go over it I start looking for ways to adjust and tweak blocks otherwise I look for one to remove.

Isn't that expected? I always have to make my Axe the master clock when recording via spdif.
Not if you have them synced to each other. I have it so my interface is my master clock so I don't have to have my fm9 when I'm not using it. That's one of the main reasons to have a spdif in/out. Popping goes away when I go from spdif -> internal -> spdif. This has been a bug for a few releases now. It's just starting to become more annoying.

They're always looking for ways to optimize the efficiency of the code, so, over time we've seen reductions in the CPU % overall. Occasionally they'll have to do something that adds a bit more CPU usage, so the rule of thumb is to keep the CPU % of a preset below 80%. I try to keep mine below 78%, and if I go over it I start looking for ways to adjust and tweak blocks otherwise I look for one to remove.
Been working on my 'kitchen sink' preset to do it all within the FM9, so that I could theoretically use it alone and get all the stuff I want happening.
It's working pretty well with 3.0 - all my stuff fits well enough at about 74.5% if I pre-mix my IR pairs down to a single IR. I can use one cab block and two amp blocks, and pan the amps so that the individual IRs in each slot give me different cabs if I want that for the preset....

Been working on my 'kitchen sink' preset to do it all within the FM9, so that I could theoretically use it alone and get all the stuff I want happening.
It's working pretty well with 3.0 - all my stuff fits well enough at about 74.5% if I pre-mix my IR pairs down to a single IR. I can use one cab block and two amp blocks, and pan the amps so that the individual IRs in each slot give me different cabs if I want that for the preset....
Joe,

if you're interested in some nice tones, John Nathan Cordy from YT has a couple FM9 vids describing his gig rig and a Dumble - Bassman dual amp rig. The D-Bass comes in just about 78%, his gig rig less than that. I just thought you might like to take a look at his FM9 rigs. He kind of flies through his front panel setup, so best to pause and copy it pen/paper...I pared down his gig rig to exclude some of his extra delay and chorus, but season to taste, as always...

Joe,

if you're interested in some nice tones, John Nathan Cordy from YT has a couple FM9 vids describing his gig rig and a Dumble - Bassman dual amp rig. The D-Bass comes in just about 78%, his gig rig less than that. I just thought you might like to take a look at his FM9 rigs. He kind of flies through his front panel setup, so best to pause and copy it pen/paper...I pared down his gig rig to exclude some of his extra delay and chorus, but season to taste, as always...
Will look him up and see what he has going on.... Thanks!

Not if you have them synced to each other. I have it so my interface is my master clock so I don't have to have my fm9 when I'm not using it. That's one of the main reasons to have a spdif in/out. Popping goes away when I go from spdif -> internal -> spdif. This has been a bug for a few releases now. It's just starting to become more annoying.
Ah got it - I wasn't thinking of the SPDIF IN as well :-D

You're welcome! Both of Cordy's presets IMHO have real merit...see what you can do with some minor tweaks to his gig rig...the D-Bass preset just about trips the CPU usage bar, but my estimate is about 78.4%

Joe,
Upon additional research with Cordy, I discovered that his Dumble-Bassman preset imitates the tones of the 1987X Normal. My thought is it is possible to delete the D-Bass preset (which requires higher CPU usage anyway) and simply utilize a 1987X Normal amp.

I’ve updated the editor, fractalbot but once I update to fw3 all my presets max out the cpu that had previously worked fine in all previous firmware versions including 3 beta. I have literally no idea why performance should be downgraded like that or how to fix it without deleting the majority of my blocks. Even downgrading reverb quality does nothing. Just muting or deleting to get under cpu. Seems ridiculous since I’ve used these presets all the time with no issues. What to try?

My experience is the opposite! And also a buddy who has the fm9. Both of us can’t use the presets we previously made and used with previous firmware versions. It’s all maxed now.

My experience is the opposite! And also a buddy who has the fm9. Both of us can’t use the presets we previously made and used with previous firmware versions. It’s all maxed now.
It's not the opposite, it's the same situation that everyone runs into until they learn that the CPU limit is like an electric fence, and, like our parents said, "Don't touch the electric fence", unlike our older siblings who dared us to.

I’ve updated the editor, fractalbot but once I update to fw3 all my presets max out the cpu that had previously worked fine in all previous firmware versions including 3 beta. I have literally no idea why performance should be downgraded like that or how to fix it without deleting the majority of my blocks. Even downgrading reverb quality does nothing. Just muting or deleting to get under cpu. Seems ridiculous since I’ve used these presets all the time with no issues. What to try?
There's a guy on one of the Facebook groups reporting the same - is that you?

Same experience: goes from 3.0 beta to 3.0 and maxed CPU. Reverted back to beta and problem gone.

There's a guy on one of the Facebook groups reporting the same - is that you?

Same experience: goes from 3.0 beta to 3.0 and maxed CPU. Reverted back to beta and problem gone.
I’ve stayed on the beta because I’ve heard this a couple times now. Waiting to hear more…

Apologies if this has been asked already - but how can I down-grade back to the previous firmware?
I've had too many "OVERLOAD" error messages in addition to clicks and pops between presets.
The "OVERLOAD" message is on a preset I've been using for a long time and nothing has changed regarding the settings, etc.
Last time this happened was this past weekend (twice) during a performance.
Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom