FM9 Firmware Version 3.00

Understand. Thanks for getting back with us.
I put my FM9 the Global Performance Page and changed scenes several times.

I had no issues with the display.

Initially I had only global Input Gain knob there but I added Drive 1 Gain as well to see if changing of knob values had any affect.

For me there was none. Every change was flawless.

Well mine is a turbo and it blinks on the performance page and in edit mode when I make changes with the footswitches. So based on the responses from some my unit might be faulty, well mine and @22 frets

Well mine is a turbo and it blinks on the performance page and in edit mode when I make changes with the footswitches. So based on the responses from some my unit might be faulty
What controls are on your Performance Pages?

It may be a specific control. As mentioned before, it seems that the SIC control does trigger this. Maybe others do as well.

Contact Fractal support... I don't think this is a hardware fault, but if you're concerned then that's the best place to check.

Well mine is a turbo and it blinks on the performance page and in edit mode when I make changes with the footswitches. So based on the responses from some my unit might be faulty, well mine and @22 frets
Scenes can change what channel is loaded, meaning the Perform Page may need to update the knobs displayed. This can account for the blink.

I put my FM9 the Global Performance Page and changed scenes several times.

I had no issues with the display.

Initially I had only global Input Gain knob there but I added Drive 1 Gain as well to see if changing of knob values had any affect.

For me there was none. Every change was flawless.

I can't really figure this out. Here is what I know do far.

1) It does not have anything to do with changing channels. I have seen it happen when channels are changed and I have seen it happen when channels are not changed.

2) As far as I can tell it only happens when the Perform Gbl or Perform PP pages are displayed and I switch Scenes or Effects. But not all, just certain ones.

3) The blanking is always preceded by the one line message that displays at the bottom of the screen briefly when the change is made. (I have looked everywhere for information on what this message line is and whether or not it can be turned off. I seem to remember seeing some place that this message has a time parameter that will let you select within a range how long it will display. But now I can't find any information on it. It is present on my FM9 but it does not display on my FM3 with an FC6 attached to it - and the FM3 does not blink with either the Perform Gbl or Perform PP pages displayed. The screen blanking only happens on the FM9 and only when a message is first displayed across the bottom of the screen). Very strange.

I don't really think this is a bug or a bad unit. I think I just need to figure out what the specific set of circumstances are that are causing the problem. I have a feeling that all units do it when configured as mine is. But I could be wrong. I will keep digging.

Thanks to Leon’s tip that the key to reproducing this behavior is to have the Perform screen displayed and then to switch Layouts. I tried to duplicate the problem on my FM3 and there is no screen blanking when switching Layouts with the Perform screens displayed, so it definitely looks like a bug in the FM9.

@Hackdog69 @unix-guy @2112
i get quick screen blanking in numerous areas and just assumed it was normal. for example, if I’m changing types in the multitap delay block from my fm9 the screen will quickly blank when selecting maybe half of them or more. it isn’t preceded by the notification label at the bottom of the screen, it’s just a quick redraw.

i get quick screen blanking in numerous areas and just assumed it was normal. for example, if I’m changing types in the multitap delay block from my fm9 the screen will quickly blank when selecting maybe half of them or more. it isn’t preceded by the notification label at the bottom of the screen, it’s just a quick redraw.
Do you mean you're editing from the front panel when this happens or from the editor?

I rarely edit the FM9 via front panel because, you know, bending over ;)

My guess is these are related...

Do you mean you're editing from the front panel when this happens or from the editor?

I rarely edit the FM9 via front panel because, you know, bending over ;)

My guess is these are related...
yes, this is when editing from the front panel. i apologize for the the lack of clarity. front panel editing is something i try not to do too often as well. really the screen blanking/redrawing isn’t a problem for me and up until checking this thread i just assumed it was normal.

For what it is worth, I am not complaining that this is in any way a problem. The momentary blanking does not affect my use of the FM9. I was just trying to help Hackdog69 determine if the problem was unique to his unit or if it was something common to all FM9‘s, which it appears to be (Turbo or not). Like just steve, I did not consider it a problem either and still don’t unless it somehow gets worse over time.

I installed this version along with everything that is available for updates at this point that are at full release versions. I was on V1 before that. It looks to me like they made some efficiency gains between V1 to V3. I was able to add the two additional blocks that I wanted in my main preset and am just under 77% CPU now. That was pushing me up too high in V1. I no longer feel like I may need the turbo model. I have everything in this preset that I wanted from the beginning. The two blocks I added are compressor and EQ.

Back
Top Bottom