FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you skip beta 1? Just curious... Since the tuner changes were in that one as well. It's nice and zippy!

I loaded both and had no issues with scene switch assignments.
Yeah, curious if those of us who already fixed the Scene 2 thing in 2.01b1 will have to do it again (Not that it’s a big deal, just wondering)

Same here. With the 8% CPU savings, I'm able to use higher quality reverbs and more voices in my Chorus block.
Yep - I did a little playing around to prove it to myself - the image is not a useable preset really, just a test. Both Reverbs are set to highest quality, 2 amps, 5 delays - 42% CPU... :). Add a Cab block with 2 UltraRes, Exciter preamp on High Quality goes to 62%, add Room goes to 65%. Very impressive

1649531268211.png

Did you skip beta 1? Just curious... Since the tuner changes were in that one as well. It's nice and zippy!

I loaded both and had no issues with scene switch assignments.
Yes. I skipped 2.01 beta 1. There were too many issues reported. I went from 2.00 beta to 2.01 beta 2.

Yep - I did a little playing around to prove it to myself - the image is not a useable preset really, just a test. Both Reverbs are set to highest quality, 2 amps, 5 delays - 42% CPU... :). Add a Cab block with 2 UltraRes, Exciter preamp on High Quality goes to 62%, add Room goes to 65%. Very impressive

View attachment 99708
Just a note that only the normal Delay blocks run on a dedicated core. That means that MultiDelay and I think Ten Tap count against your CPU.

I double checked and the firmware info in the utilities menu says it is 2.01 beta2 released April 8 2022.

My favorite improvement is that the tuner display is much smoother like it is on the Axe-FX III.

Did you come from Beta 1, or Released 1.0?
Yeah, curious if those of us who already fixed the Scene 2 thing in 2.01b1 will have to do it again (Not that it’s a big deal, just wondering)

I am one of those, and I checked that, and all is right... I did not have to redo that correction.

I’m on the most recent release, and I’m having the issue scenes 1 and 2 both lit on the FS. At least I think it was scenes but may have been presets.

No other issues

I’m on the most recent release, and I’m having the issue scenes 1 and 2 both lit on the FS. At least I think it was scenes but may have been presets.

No other issues
That happened with 2.01 beta 1 also. It put Scene 1 in the first two slots. Just change the 2nd one back to Scene 2. Should be a one-time fix.

I've noticed that Cab 2 uses significantly more CPU than Cab 1.

I reset my system (Knob E Setup>Utilities>Reset System Parameters) as well as each channel of the Cab 2 block to the default Factory 1 Standard 1x4 Pig 57.

Cab 1 uses ~3.6% CPU and Cab 2 uses ~8.2% CPU.

They both use the same additional CPU for added features; Ultra IR(3%), Tape Preamp (2%), High Quality Preamp(8%), Room with level, Size, Reflections, and Diffusion up all the way (6%).

However the ~4.5% increase in Cab 2 over Cab 1 remains even when changing out on various presets.

Replicate by taking the default preset 1: 59 Bassguy, copy the Cab 1 block. Paste the block into an empty block below Cab 1, this creates Cab 2. Delete Cab 1 and link Cab 2 into the preset. Default it's 52.7% CPU; with Cab 2 it's 57% CPU.

Is this just part of the implementation of that core or a bug? Just curious and wanting to point it out in case we can steal 4-5% CPU :)

Cheers!

I've noticed that Cab 2 uses significantly more CPU than Cab 1.

I reset my system (Knob E Setup>Utilities>Reset System Parameters) as well as each channel of the Cab 2 block to the default Factory 1 Standard 1x4 Pig 57.

Cab 1 uses ~3.6% CPU and Cab 2 uses ~8.2% CPU.

They both use the same additional CPU for added features; Ultra IR(3%), Tape Preamp (2%), High Quality Preamp(8%), Room with level, Size, Reflections, and Diffusion up all the way (6%).

However the ~4.5% increase in Cab 2 over Cab 1 remains even when changing out on various presets.

Replicate by taking the default preset 1: 59 Bassguy, copy the Cab 1 block. Paste the block into an empty block below Cab 1, this creates Cab 2. Delete Cab 1 and link Cab 2 into the preset. Default it's 52.7% CPU; with Cab 2 it's 57% CPU.

Is this just part of the implementation of that core or a bug? Just curious and wanting to point it out in case we can steal 4-5% CPU :)

Cheers!
I’m guessing that’s to do with the way the cores are implemented. I wonder if adding a 2nd amp creates similar numbers.

I’m guessing that’s to do with the way the cores are implemented. I wonder if adding a 2nd amp creates similar numbers.
It does not; both Amp 1 and Amp 2 add ~ 1% CPU each and are identical using the same method above to swap out, or simply making an empty preset and adding each Amp block individually or together in any combination that I have tried.

EDIT: Delay 1, Delay 2, Reverb 1, and Reverb 2 all add ~1.5% CPU each, along with Amp 1 and Amp 2 adding ~1% each. However, this anomaly of Cab 2 adding more than Cab 1 seemed unintended and got me to thinking.

EDIT 2: Conjecture; Cab 2 is necessarily and or unintentionally instancing Amp 1 and Cab 1 adding their 1% and 3.5% CPU to its own 3.5% CPU for a displayed total of ~8% CPU, +- 0.5% CPU. Perhaps a display error? Shunting several blocks it does "OVERLOAD" at 85%, so if it is a display error I don't know that I could see that.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The Amp block runs on a dedicated core. The Cab block doesn't.

@dejoblue - are you sure when you copy/paste the block that it's on the same channel?

If both blocks are using identical settings in the active channel then I'd suspect this is a bug.

The Amp block runs on a dedicated core. The Cab block doesn't.

@dejoblue - are you sure when you copy/paste the block that it's on the same channel?

If both blocks are using identical settings in the active channel then I'd suspect this is a bug.
I am pretty sure; I've copied channels, reset all 4 channels, ABCD, changed default presets, new presets, etc, etc. I hope I am not wasting anyone's time with something simple I forgot.

Here is a video showing it, sorry for the length and rambling, after the demonstration past 6:30 I trouble shoot a bit, towards the end after I show what global settings I can think of as well as, after 9:00, what appears to be CPU step ups as it instances Amp 1 and Cab 1 to serve Cab 2; but that is my conjecture and maybe confirmation bias.

I ran it for a bit last night. Thankfully, my Wet reverb block is back to sounding how it should. Haven’t run into any issues yet.

My FM9 with the latest beta froze twice this morning. Had to reboot to get it going again. Very frustrating - it has been fine at home.
Mine froze once this morning. I wasn't doing anything (wasn't playing), did have USB plugged in and Edit was up - Froze with Midi In light solid (not blinking) and two lights on Input 1 (not blinking) (but again I was not playing)

My FM9 with the latest beta froze twice this morning. Had to reboot to get it going again. Very frustrating - it has been fine at home.
Mine froze once this morning. I wasn't doing anything (wasn't playing), did have USB plugged in and Edit was up - Froze with Midi In light solid (not blinking) and two lights on Input 1 (not blinking) (but again I was not playing)

Just curious if any of these presets/blocks are fresh, new instances, or ones carried/converted over from another platform, downloaded, etc.?

FWIW I've not had any freezing on my FM3 and FM9 through the various firmwares, betas...connected to the editors, standalone, and used for several hours at a time.

Last edited:

Not startup froze, but froze while already booted up?! Dang.

Out of curiosity, do either have the “Tuner @ heel down” option enabled?

Very interesting. Were you sending any midi commands to it? The reason I ask is because I was using an Airstep pedal to change Presets over midi. I suspected that may have had something to do with it, so I disconnected the Airstep for second service and I had no further issues. It had been fine at home prior to that though and I'm trying to reproduce the issue now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom