FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic update....as always, worth the wait indeed ...aside from the many impressive new additions, and fixes, anytime the amp modeling gets a tweak I go crazy...most excellent. Thanks everyone there at FAS....!

I'm still seeing slow/late refreshing in the editor, even after updating to the beta 1 and the updated editor. Is this in the unit, the editor, USB?

I just loaded up the new firmware and editor and am finding the newest FM9-Edit updates and overall response to have slowed to a crawl.

Initiating any command in FM9-Edit (Scene change, Preset change, etc.) takes about a minute to actually execute the command.

After that FM9-Edit becomes more responsive but is still laggy.

Switching to a new preset, or doing a preset revert, slows FM9-Edit back to a crawl once again. Changes made in FM9-Edit will take another minute or so to execute.

Block status (bypassed/unbypassed), types (amp/cab/fx types in all channels), and settings are not updating upon switching to a new preset, reverting a preset, etc. The amp block Headroom, compressor block gain, LFO controls of parameters, etc. are all very sluggish to update.

The FM9 itself is responding ok to changes via the unit itself, but changes made on the FM9 are not reflected back to FM9-Edit for a long time (if they even do).

In short, my FM9-Edit is lagging and pretty much unresponsive.

I hard rebooted everything with no improvement. I played the FM9 used FM9-Edit for a couple of hours earlier today (before upgrading to the latest beta firmware/FM9-Edit) and it was running fine.

Windows 10

EDIT:

This seems CPU (and/or Pitch block) related; my main preset was running ~78% (which wasn't a problem before); I copied it to another slot, shunted the Drive block, and with the CPU at ~72% upon arriving on that preset FM9-Edit is quicker but still a bit laggy (scene changes slow, control edits are choppy and have audio glitches, etc.) as compared to the previous firmware/FM9-Edit.

However, if I remove the Pitch block to get the CPU down to the same ~%72 FM9-Edit responds noticeably faster, with scenes switching quicker and the control edits respond smoothly with less, or no, audio glitching.

FWIW I just tried changing USB ports with no improvement.

EDIT EDIT:

This seems to be definitely related to the Pitch block; the only way I can get FM9-Edit to respond and update in real time is by removing the Pitch block. Intializing the Pitch block channels doesn't help. I've been removing other blocks, etc. and it's only when I delete the Pitch block that things go back to normal.

Last edited:
[…]
Windows 10
That sounds much like what I was seeing.

I'm on MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559) on an iMac Pro and am currently running a backup from the FM9, and as soon as it completes I'm doing shutdowns on both systems then restarting them both to see if the responsiveness returns.

I have my FX3, FM9 and FM3 on the built-in USB-A ports.

More than five minutes later…

I can still outrun the editor. Several minutes after opening a preset it's still clearing and then redrawing blocks.

Last edited:
Win 10x64 wih very speedy nvme. m.2 drives. I run mostly simplistic presets, 60% average. But FM9 EDIT definitely is laggy. Not a game changer at all-just kind of slow. Mine is nothing like unresponsive at all. Like I said, my PC is pretty powerful and I haven't even added the new stuff I bought this week. Asus Prime X590 A MB, Intel i7 11700, Corsair RMX 850watt PSU, 32gb of 3600 DDR4. No Sata in my house-well when I'm done this weekend.
But the ever popular read\scan of the presets by the hardware is still very, very fast.
So , I'm ok. I am kind of laggy myself. As mentioned by Stratoblaster, post#86, the FM9 itself does not seem to be effected by this at all-still speedy....................I love it.

Last edited:
It’s much improved imo. I’ve tuned down as many as 5 steps (just for testing) using virtual capo and it’s still tracking tightly. Dirty and clean, no real artifacts or warble going up or down 2 steps. Certainly none a crowd would notice. Octave effects track very solid. No real latency. It sounds great and is fun to play. Win.
Would you say it stacks well against the Digitech Drop? I'm on the FM3 - holding my breath for this update coming to that unit too.

Any reports on pitch block performance for drop tuning?
I don't have a DigiTech peddle to compare but I can say I just checked out strums, picking and finger style on the virtual capo and its tight, 0 artifacts even at -4+ steps, cant imagine it not being better than DT peddle, there is a hair of delay in lower range but I'm guessing thats normal for effect like this. btw I'm using a instrument cable so no additional lag in the chain. Its cool and its much better than it was in my FM3 thats for sure.

Installed Beta 2.0.

After rebooting, there was no sound. Input signal and the grid meters were all okay, but no main output at all from Out 1. And none from the Phones jack either.

I installed Beta 2.0 again, rebooted and now all is well.

Installed Beta 2.0.

After rebooting, there was no sound. Input signal and the grid meters were all okay, but no main output at all from Out 1. And none from the Phones jack either.

I installed Beta 2.0 again, rebooted and now all is well.

Same issue I ran into. I didn’t try the other outs, which I maybe should have done just to lend some extra info. One of the times I tried loading 2.0 it would work sometimes I turned it on and then stop again when restarting, but the final time I got it working I turned it on/off 4-5 times to see if I could recreate it and it worked fine each time.

First What I heard sounded great its a huge release , so thank you FAS

same issues as others reported w outputs

and FM9 editor is definitely slow and not responsive as well as other GUI issues like disappearing blocks , might go back for now and wait for new editor release

Possible Bug:

Input Boost in FM9-Edit shows no type when "On." However, the screen on the FM9 correctly shows the Boost type as RCB Boost.

1639756570861.png

If I turn the Boost "Off" the RCB Boost is clearly disengaged.

Problem is, if I select RCB Boost Type again, so it shows in FM9-Edit the gain appears to hit maximum value (24 db) even though the Boost Level still show 4.5 db.

Tried saving, exiting, and returning. No change. Tried restarting the unit, no change.

Preset attached.

Attachments

• Wrecker.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Possible Bug:

Input Boost in FM9-Edit shows no type when "On." However, the screen on the FM9 correctly shows the Boost type as RCB Boost.

View attachment 92991

If I turn the Boost "Off" the RCB Boost is clearly disengaged.

Problem is, if I select RCB Boost Type again, so it shows in FM9-Edit the gain appears to hit maximum value (24 db) even though the Boost Level still show 4.5 db.

Tried saving, exiting, and returning. No change. Tried restarting the unit, no change.

Preset attached.

Make sure to use the latest FM9-Edit version.
Refresh the effect definitions (use the menu command).

I don't have a DigiTech peddle to compare but I can say I just checked out strums, picking and finger style on the virtual capo and its tight, 0 artifacts even at -4+ steps, cant imagine it not being better than DT peddle, there is a hair of delay in lower range but I'm guessing thats normal for effect like this. btw I'm using a instrument cable so no additional lag in the chain. Its cool and its much better than it was in my FM3 thats for sure.
That’s encouraging, thank you! I’ll probably wait a little bit longer to install, but I’ll A/B it with my FM3 when I do. Would be great for that one to trickle down to the FM3!

upgraded both edit and the unit. I'm getting intermittent issues when trying to select a new preset on Edit. Sometimes changes presets. Sometimes doesn't. If I restart Edit it seems to work then stops. Huge latency regardless

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom