FM3 VS Quad Cortex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't like the sound of that.

Sounds less likely I'll try the QC.

Been thinking it'd be nice to have something to compliment my Fractals but already tried a HX Stomp and didn't bond with it and the Atomic stuff is very good but limited, so I've been thinking about a second hand Kemper Stage
The distinction being individual presets/captures. The whole unit can be backed up locally. Personally, being in the high tech industry, this is where the future is going. Of course, you still have the option of staying 100% analogue with amps and effects. Choice is good.

Has anyone else noticed that besides the captures, the amp models in demos so far all sound the same? Every time I've heard a demo of the QC it sounds like a bright hot rod Marshall.

so far I have not really seen many of
the models demod it been mostly
HBE and 5153 so far and both
are always into the same IR
also the 5153 models i believe again are the Gold (EL34) so more hot wired Marshall based

so far I have not really seen many of
the models demod it been mostly
HBE and 5153 so far and both
are always into the same IR
also the 5153 models i believe again are the Gold (EL34) so more hot wired Marshall based
Yes. Reviewers seem to be avoiding running through the amp models for some reason.

I think we have identified that the capture is good, so no point continually going over that. It simply depends on the source being good.

The distinction being individual presets/captures. The whole unit can be backed up locally. Personally, being in the high tech industry, this is where the future is going. Of course, you still have the option of staying 100% analogue with amps and effects. Choice is good.
Imagine if every plugin or device you owned had its seperate cloud and way of managing its files and could only do full local backup restores. The workflow to manage your sounds and restore a project would be a nightmare.

Yes. Reviewers seem to be avoiding running through the amp models for some reason.

I think we have identified that the capture is good, so no point continually going over that. It simply depends on the source being good.
Which is actually surprising for a company that rep is mostly hi gain modern you would figure they would come out of the gate
w Recto , Deizels. Etc

Imagine if every plugin or device you owned had its seperate cloud and way of managing its files and could only do full local backup restores. The workflow to manage your sounds and restore a project would be a nightmare.
Nah, you make it sound worse than it is. It's all automatic for the small number that I have. I do agree though that I'd like the option to deal with presets, captures and IRs individually. That may be a future option as it seems many are requesting this. All my DAW project files are automatically backed up to the cloud. Doing so with individual files is actually the opposite of your position. It's more work to manage each file on its own.

Which is actually surprising for a company that rep is mostly hi gain modern you would figure they would come out of the gate
w Recto , Deizels. Etc
Diezel is there. The Herbert for sure and VH4 is coming from what I recall. It's hard to keep track of all the changes.

Diezel is there. The Herbert for sure and VH4 is coming from what I recall. It's hard to keep track of all the changes.
oh yes they are in the box i think the question is why we have not seen a demo like Leon Todd
showcasing. 4 or 5 of the models
so far they have stayed to the same
Fender and Freidman in the clips mostly which is fine and they sound decent just wish they would do some drop D or C Recto /Tremoverb stuff
from what I have heard its probably not quite as good as the AXE but better than the Helix

It's not where the future is going, it's where some vendors want to take it. What's more, it has nothing to do with convenience and everything to do with control. I intend to vote against that trend with my wallet. That's not my brave new world.

It's not where the future is going, it's where some vendors want to take it. What's more, it has nothing to do with convenience and everything to do with control. I intend to vote against that trend with my wallet. That's not my brave new world.
Well said Electric Phase. I agree. I believe that "capturing" is a bridge between tube amps and modelling. As I've stated before, I have nothing to capture. I use the FM3 for everything and I have one amp on hand along with a delay pedal and a wah, as a backup if needed. As modelling continues to improve (can't wait for Cygnus, for example ;)), there's no reason to go to the trouble of "capturing" anything, IMHO. Fractal has done all that heavy lifting for us.

the cloud-only aspect of sharing IRs and Presets seems to be a way to create a sort of "social media" approach. this can be healthy for a brand, as you need to go to one place to interact, keeping their brand name in your view, among other things. it also allows them to control things if they choose, and in the future to monetize things if they choose. they've said they don't intend to do these things, yet it's still possible for it to happen.

i do prefer just sending things to people directly via Dropbox or IMs or email. i never upload to Axechange or use it, for example. i think there's many people who prefer the same.

no one knows why they chose that approach, or if it will change after the unit is released (May is the average guess i'm hearing for Vendor purchases). i don't see that as a reason to not buy the gear if you're interested in what it can do, but it can certainly limit the way customers interact.

i think it's too early to tell how this will affect the user experience. i think there are many things that are too early to tell about the unit actually. nothing is really set in stone until it's released.

What makes you say the only raison d’être is control? Is there not some of this in every modern product? You can’t update the firmware in your Fractal unless Fractal makes one. You can‘t upload a new preset unless you connect it to a PC? Is there something inherently nefarious in offering cloud as an option? Not trying to change your mind, I know that‘s not possible. Just interested.

What makes you say the only raison d’être is control? Is there not some of this in every modern product? You can’t update the firmware in your Fractal unless Fractal makes one. You can‘t upload a new preset unless you connect it to a PC? Is there something inherently nefarious in offering cloud as an option? Not trying to change your mind, I know that‘s not possible. Just interested.

As an option, the cloud sharing would be fine. Lovely, even.

If NDSP announces that you can send single profiles or presets freely between your computer and the hardware without passing through an internet connection and their cloud servers, I'll withdraw my complaint. I might even buy the hardware to try it out.

They won't, because it's about control.

There’s enough unanswered questions to keep me away from it for at least a year until it hits buyer’s hands. The main thing is with Doug stating “All files must go through the cloud”. Despite an NDSP employee saying the desktop editor could create an entirely cloudless situation, I’m still going with the owner’s own words. My biggest thing is IR’s. There’s no way I’m going to bother with uploading the IR’s I already have on my computer, to the cloud, just to re-download them again.

I’m already very, very stoked with my Axe III and the biggest selling factor of the QC, for me, is that I could capture some amps my buddies own. The lack of component based modeling and NDSP’s lack of interest in providing deeper parameter editing is certainly not a selling point as I spend most of my time in the deeper parameters.

I’m also turned off by the marketing aspect to a degree and I think they shot themselves in the foot by making some big claims at the start and even when it’s finally released, it won’t have some basic functions (no auto-engage for exp pedals), or functions that were supposed to be included up front (running NDSP’s plugins). This could entirely be the result of how things are done in my line of work; I get proposals from vendors all the time and even though they’re trying to sell me on their services, it’s not done by promising gold and giving silver. It’s exactly what the vendor can deliver and becomes a binding contract when I sign it. If there are any deficiencies after services rendered, I get on the phone and start getting my company’s money back.

As an option, the cloud sharing would be fine. Lovely, even.

If NDSP announces that you can send single profiles or presets freely between your computer and the hardware without passing through an internet connection and their cloud servers, I'll withdraw my complaint. I might even buy the hardware to try it out.

They won't, because it's about control.
Maybe someday. Like I think I mentioned, there's enough folks asking for this feature. It might be a good indicator of how well they listen. We'll see. Meanwhile, I've an FM3 to go play :)

There’s enough unanswered questions to keep me away from it for at least a year until it hits buyer’s hands. The main thing is with Doug stating “All files must go through the cloud”. Despite an NDSP employee saying the desktop editor could create an entirely cloudless situation, I’m still going with the owner’s own words. My biggest thing is IR’s. There’s no way I’m going to bother with uploading the IR’s I already have on my computer, to the cloud, just to re-download them again.

I’m already very, very stoked with my Axe III and the biggest selling factor of the QC, for me, is that I could capture some amps my buddies own. The lack of component based modeling and NDSP’s lack of interest in providing deeper parameter editing is certainly not a selling point as I spend most of my time in the deeper parameters.

I’m also turned off by the marketing aspect to a degree and I think they shot themselves in the foot by making some big claims at the start and even when it’s finally released, it won’t have some basic functions (no auto-engage for exp pedals), or functions that were supposed to be included up front (running NDSP’s plugins). This could entirely be the result of how things are done in my line of work; I get proposals from vendors all the time and even though they’re trying to sell me on their services, it’s not done by promising gold and giving silver. It’s exactly what the vendor can deliver and becomes a binding contract when I sign it. If there are any deficiencies after services rendered, I get on the phone and start getting my company’s money back.
Good observations. To me, they've spent so much time trying to get the cloud part to work that these other features have been left on the backburner.

As technology improves, reliability also improves. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had no internet access in the last 10 years. That number has been zero in the last 3 years.

I've read through the answers the QC guy Doug has provided on that gear page thread. I think people are over dramatizing the cloud thing because they are not knowing all the facts. It's not going to be apple/iTunes way of skimming profits and controlling content.

Further, they will expand to include redundancy and old ways of transfers, just won't be available in the beginning, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom