FM3 VS Quad Cortex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed - if it was a paid vid I'm not sure it was $ well spent as Ola did not rave much about how great it is. Actually, most of the reviews I've seen have been kind of "luke warm". Yet to be seen I guess. To me it seems like a no brainer if you were considering Helix Floor at a higher price.
Its certainly some weird marketing campaign ,that as you said has gone from raves from Rebea to
its really cool but over hyped from
Ola

Its certainly some weird marketing campaign ,that as you said has gone from raves from Rebea to
its really cool but over hyped from
Ola
Rebea is a paid promoter of the product where Ola and Glenn for example were just given the units to demo. It seems like so far the paid promotions are obviously touting the product very highly and the people who were just sent units to demo are more critical but still somewhat positive leaning about the QC

Rebea is a paid promoter of the product where Ola and Glenn for example were just given the units to demo. It seems like so far the paid promotions are obviously touting the product very highly and the people who were just sent units to demo are more critical but still somewhat positive leaning about the QC

That's what I gather. Pete Thorn's was rather glowing as well. Then again, gear life is probably pretty great for Pete because he can just look at something and it starts sounding great.

I wouldn't describe reactions as lukewarm, none of them are saying it's light years ahead of the other name modeling options but that's a crazy bar to set. It seems pretty obvious that you can 'do the job' with a Fractal product, a Helix, a Kemper or now a QC and beyond that you're getting into personal preferences.

I wouldn't describe reactions as lukewarm, none of them are saying it's light years ahead of the other name modeling options but that's a crazy bar to set. It seems pretty obvious that you can 'do the job' with a Fractal product, a Helix, a Kemper or now a QC and beyond that you're getting into personal preferences.

I’m not totally sold on the QC yet. I’ve only heard a few of the models and still haven’t seen the UI for them all to see how tweakable they are. Doug has already said he’s not interested in the QC’s having as many tweakable options as some of it’s competitors. While that may be personal preference, for me, the jury is out until it makes it into the general public’s hands and we actually see them being used outside of gear demos. As of yet, I have not been blown away at all by the models I’ve heard and have heard better stuff coming from Line 6. Ola’s in particular, for someone who can dial in a high gain tone in minutes, I was really underwhelmed with what I heard in that vid. I’d think with Neural’s target group, they’d have the high gain thing down cold already.

For captures, I’ll certainly agree. There’s been a few where I just couldn’t tell the difference at all. It’s the modeling part I’m not sold on yet.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that even the guys that are sent the units to demo and are not paid promoters are still incentivized to push it though because of ad revenue and getting a cut when you buy through their affiliate links. Glenn was upfront about this in one of his videos. I agree though it does sound great capturing in relation to the real amp.

I researched the Quad Cortex a bit because a friend was interested.

Their blocks don't have "channels" or an equivalent. So if you want 3 different Reverb sounds, you have to use 3 blocks worth of CPU. Want to switch amp sounds? Have to use scenes for that (no way to do it in Stompbox mode). Or you could use presets instead and have your sound cut out for half a second while you switch. Also, unlike the Fractal where you can assign buttons to do whatever, on the QC all the buttons are either on Preset, Scene, or Stomp, and you can toggle between those three global modes. Have fun messing with that in a live gig.

I've been with Fractal so long I've forgotten what it was like to have gear that was just straight up incapable of meeting my basic setup/routing needs (have I told you lately how much I appreciate you, Cliff?). QC is quick to flaunt its "vulgar display of power," but as the saying goes, it's not about the size but how you use it.

Oh, also the FM3 + FC-12 is the same price right now as a Quad Cortex and is actually available in addition to being better.

Edit: Appears their scenes can have different amp settings so I have adjusted my post accordingly. Still no way to switch amps in Stompbox mode to my knowledge, which is a dealbreaker for me.
I hear you man.
I’m always researching Hookers for my buddies.

I was open to adding the QC alongside my other modelers until I found out Neural DSP isn't going to allow users to save or import individual captures and presets to a computer or USB stick. They have to be saved and/or imported from the cloud.

I've been toying with the QD just for GAS but I haven't really heard anything that's tempted me to part with my money

I haven't heard any demos of the modelling that impressed me partly cause all the videos are mainly focused on the capture side of things

I've been toying with the QD just for GAS but I haven't really heard anything that's tempted me to part with my money

I haven't heard any demos of the modelling that impressed me partly cause all the videos are mainly focused on the capture side of things
I have nothing to capture. I use the FM3 for everything, and only have one amp, a wah and a delay pedal as a backup. Also, the QC appears to be best suited for desktop work. TBD I suppose ...

I have nothing to capture. I use the FM3 for everything, and only have one amp, a wah and a delay pedal as a backup. Also, the QC appears to be best suited for desktop work. TBD I suppose ...
I really does not trust those QC footswitches/encoders combo.

It's a novel solution, but stomping on my encoders is not comfortable for me, because must have some sort of physical connection between the enconder and the board, I don't think it can be an optical one, but I'm not an engineer.

I don't even stomp on my FM3. I keep it on a drawer in my desk. :smile:

I really does not trust those QC footswitches/encoders combo.

It's a novel solution, but stomping on my encoders is not comfortable for me, because must have some sort of physical connection between the enconder and the board, I don't think it can be an optical one, but I'm not an engineer.

I don't even stomp on my FM3. I keep it on a drawer in my desk. :smile:
The whole idea of stepping on the controls you use to edit is kinda "grubby".

Sometimes you have to step back and realize just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

The whole idea of stepping on the controls you use to edit is kinda "grubby".

Sometimes you have to step back and realize just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
You step on the pedal...it gets dirty... then you need to use the knob... your hand gets dirty... then you decide it's better use the touch screen... and the screen?

Last edited:
You step on the pedal...it gets dirty... then you need to use the knob... your hand gets dirty... then you decide it's better use the touch screen... and the screen?
Y'all play with your faces, hair, ears etc, open doors, drive cars, then use your touch screen on your phone, yet your thinking a little dust off the ground is more gross lol.

I'm just wondering if people forgot it's possible to wipe down and wash hands, or is this now expected to be somehow included with a product purchase lol....

Y'all play with your faces, hair, ears etc, open doors, drive cars, then use your touch screen on your phone, yet your thinking a little dust off the ground is more gross lol.

I'm just wondering if people forgot it's possible to wipe down and wash hands, or is this now expected to be somehow included with a product purchase lol....
I was surprised to learn that 50% of the population admits to urinating in the shower.

To me this is disgusting, even though urine is sterile.

I will never agree with the people who pee in the shower, and I will never agree with the design to double footswitches with decoders. But thats just me. You do you.

I was open to adding the QC alongside my other modelers until I found out Neural DSP isn't going to allow users to save or import individual captures and presets to a computer or USB stick. They have to be saved and/or imported from the cloud.
This. After years of Apple shenanigans, I'm gun-shy about any product that insists on maintaining control over my purchased hardware from their servers. QC might be a great box, but I'm categorically ruling out anything that takes that approach.

Don't like the sound of that.

Sounds less likely I'll try the QC.

Been thinking it'd be nice to have something to compliment my Fractals but already tried a HX Stomp and didn't bond with it and the Atomic stuff is very good but limited, so I've been thinking about a second hand Kemper Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom