FM3 Switches Duplicated on FC-6

JD_

Inspired
Trying out my FC-6 with my FM3 for the first time at rehearsal tonight, and I can't seem to figure out the config. The button functions on the FM3 are duplicated on the bottom row of the FC-6. I suspect this is something simple, but I've looked through config menus, and the manuals and don't see it. Anyone know how to fix this so I have 9 different functions instead of 6? Thanks in advance.

Change layouts on the FC6. All layouts are shared so Layout 1 has the same 3 switches on both devices because both are using Layout 1.

Change layouts on the FC6. All layouts are shared so Layout 1 has the same 3 switches on both devices because both are using Layout 1.
Ok, I see how I can do that. I guess that didn't make sense since there are 12 switches per layout; I figured I could map some of those switches to the FC-6. Thanks Chris!

Ok, I see how I can do that. I guess that didn't make sense since there are 12 switches per layout; I figured I could map some of those switches to the FC-6. Thanks Chris!
You can. You'll have to edit the layouts to make that happen.

You can. You'll have to edit the layouts to make that happen.

Hi Rex. I am struggling with this and I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting here. I'm after a several layouts each made up of 9 switches of the FM3 and the FC6 and be able to switch from layout to layout. Is that what you are suggesting, that you can edit layouts in response to JD_'s query? Appreciate some pointers. Cheers, Allan

Last edited:
If you select the same layout and/or view on both units, you will see the same switches on both units. For example, Layout 1 View 1 on the FM3 will show you switches 1, 2, & 3 from Layout 1. Layout 1 View 1 on the FC6 will show you switches 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 from Layout 1. That means switches 1, 2, & 3 will show the same thing on both units since they are in the same layout. You'll have to edit your layouts, layout select switches and Layout Links so each unit selects non-overlapping layouts and views. Simplest way is to dedicate specific layouts to each unit and don't use that layout on the other unit. That's how the OMG9 layouts work. The FM3 uses layout 8 and the FC6 uses layouts 1, 2, 3, & 5.

Last edited:
You can think of it this way:

ALL DEVICES SHARE THE SAME 9 LAYOUTS.

Each layout is like a page. On each page (layout) you have 12 switches. It matches the physical layout of the FC12.
Each device can access all 12 switches using Views. A view is like a window that allows you to see only part of the layout below. Like a platen or a stencil cut-out.
On the FM3, you can access 4 views of 3 switches. It's like moving the opening of your stencil across the page.
On the FC6, you only have 2 views of 6 switches.

Yep this throws a lot of folks and the manuals do not explicitly state that the layouts are all shared when using multiple units together. If you daisy chain 4 FC-12's together, you'll still only have the same 9 layouts (108 switch positions) total.

Thanks mr_fender and Patzag. So, I cannot 'edit' or 're-map' layouts in such a way as to have switches 1-3 on the FM3 and switches 4-9 on the FC6 in the same layout, and then change layouts with the press on a single switch. I can only have switches 1-3 on the FM3 in one layout and 1-6 on the FC6 in another. To change to another layout of 9 switches will require changing layouts on both the FM3 and the FC6. Is that correct?

Thanks mr_fender and Patzag. So, I cannot 'edit' or 're-map' layouts in such a way as to have switches 1-3 on the FM3 and switches 4-9 on the FC6 in the same layout, and then change layouts with the press on a single switch. I can only have switches 1-3 on the FM3 in one layout and 1-6 on the FC6 in another. To change to another layout of 9 switches will require changing layouts on both the FM3 and the FC6. Is that correct?
No. It is not correct.
You can have Layout 1 displayed on the FM3 and Layout 2 (For example) on the FC 6. To do this, use the Layout Link function.
Best to read the manual. ;)

:) Yes, I am looking at both the FM3 and FC6 manuals, but perhaps too much Christmas cheer as it is not sinking in. I just can't see that I can achieve what I am after. The example you give Patzag is not it. I have a bunch of song and miscellaneous presets, about 20 or so. Each with 4 scenes. I don't switch effects in and out or use a looper or do anything fancy, I just want to use 7 switches to activate presets with the other two to toggle between scenes (press) and increment/decrement layouts (hold). What I am hoping for is 3 layouts of 9 switches - all 1-9 switches available in each of the 3 layouts, not 6 layouts, 3 with 3 switches (FM3) and 3 with 6 switches (FC6). I was hoping the FM3+FC6 would operate like the FM9 - as the wait list for the FM9 may extend into the next century being able to do this was the only reason I flipped my MC6 controller for the FC6.

The links function seems to be a workaround but I am reluctant to go down that rabbit hole if there is a way to do precisely what I am after without doubling the number of layouts needed.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Allan

You can split layouts between devices as well as long as you mind the view split points between devices. The FC6 has 2 views per layout with 6 switches per view, so you'd need to use one of those two for the FC6 and then the other 6 switches could be split into two views for the FM3. So for example, switches 1,2,3 would be Layout 1 View 1, switches 4,5,6 would be Layout 1 View 2 (both for the FM3) and switches 7,8,9,10,11,12 would be Layout 1 View 2 for the FC6.

Have you tried the OMG9 factory layouts? They are specifically designed for FM3+FC6 usage.

Ah. That's clear. Just the example I need. Thanks mr_fender. I'll give that a try today. I did look at the OMG setup but it seems focused on switching effects in and out, the looper rather than my more prosaic "just give me some presets" needs. :D Thanks again. Will report back.

Nailed it!!:D:D:D I ended up using Switches 1, 2 and 3 in Layout 'n' View 1 (FM3) and View 2 (FC6) switches 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12. Switches 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 and 11 to select generic or song based presets, and switches 6 and 12 on the FC6 to toggle between scenes (press) and increment/decrement layouts (hold). 6 and 12 perform the same function in each Layout. I have added a Layout Link to switches 6 and 12 to keep the FM3 in sync - so as I increment or decrement Layouts on the FC6 the FM3 goes to the next one, between Layouts 1-4 (no-wrap). Thanks all.

Now to back it up!! :D

Back
Top Bottom