FM3 Simulating a Classical Guitar sound (Nylon Strings) possible?

Cool. Well, share whatever you come up with?
I said up above that I think it's a tough task to emulate a nylon (much more so than a steel string acoustic). I'm actually waiting on delivery of a Kiesel which is midi capable and am going to test drive a Roland synth.

There's just some quality about the nylon strings that (I believe) will be very difficult to emulate with only effects (at least at this point). The IR only gets you so far. What you have though is still very usable for certain applications. Nice job.

I said up above that I think it's a tough task to emulate a nylon (much more so than a steel string acoustic). I'm actually waiting on delivery of a Kiesel which is midi capable and am going to test drive a Roland synth.

There's just some quality about the nylon strings that (I believe) will be very difficult to emulate with only effects (at least at this point). The IR only gets you so far. What you have though is still very usable for certain applications. Nice job.
Simulating an acoustic guitar on an electric guitar is a pretty much insurmountable task. There are some brilliant acoustic sims out there, but I haven’t heard any that sound truly convincing.

The problem is the electric pickups themselves. Because of their placement, they act like comb filters. And you can’t get rid of that comb filtering. Your best bet is to find a guitar with a piezo pickup. Piezos are placed right at the bridge, and they don’t exhibit comb filtering.

As you said, nylon strings bring an additional challenge. Their attack is very different from the attack of steel strings, and you can’t change the attack with EQ. And just like steel strings, their voicing varies depending on what string you’re playing and where you’re fretting. A divided pickup feeding a synthesizer will provide the most realistic-sounding results.

Simulating an acoustic guitar on an electric guitar is a pretty much insurmountable task. There are some brilliant acoustic sims out there, but I haven’t heard any that sound truly convincing.

The problem is the electric pickups themselves. Because of their placement, they act like comb filters. And you can’t get rid of that comb filtering. Your best bet is to find a guitar with a piezo pickup. Piezos are placed right at the bridge, and they don’t exhibit comb filtering.

As you said, nylon strings bring an additional challenge. Their attack is very different from the attack of steel strings, and you can’t change the attack with EQ. And just like steel strings, their voicing varies depending on what string you’re playing and where you’re fretting. A divided pickup feeding a synthesizer will provide the most realistic-sounding results.
Yeah, you're right about the attack and it's also the sustain. It's very different from a steel string. Actually the guitar I have on order is also Piezo equipped so I'm hoping to get alot of versatility out of it.

Yeah, you're right about the attack and it's also the sustain. It's very different from a steel string. Actually the guitar I have on order is also Piezo equipped so I'm hoping to get alot of versatility out of it.
+1. The decay of a nylon string is very different from a steel one. Sort of halfway between a steel string and a violin string.

I tried one of these but I had issues with the high action and neck dive. Is that your experience and, if so, how did you fix it?
Mine has very nice action - so prob just a setup needed?
As for neck dive - I didn't really have this either - the body of mine is pretty heavy though. I also uses straps that tend to be more grippy on the shoulder, so perhaps that helps. I never had the need to "hold" the neck up when playing - was able to use a more classical position style with it.

Agreed. That's why I said it may not be convincing. Personally, I hate acoustic sims using electric guitars. All of them sound terrible, IMO. The were some nylon string IRs floating around at one time. Playing an acoustic using a Nylon IR gets you closer.
I agree regarding acoustic sims. I don't even like plugging in an acoustic, I've heard a lot of people playing like that, and it has an artificial quality to it. I use a MIMS microphone, and I bet there are better ones on the market, but it is so much better (if you can't sit in front of mics). I'm sure really high end pickups are available that work better. My Taylor was about $1800 range, and I wish they'd had a model without the electronics.

Back
Top Bottom