• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 Simulating a Classical Guitar sound (Nylon Strings) possible?

For a long time now I've been trying to find a way to use my electric guitar to simulate a classical guitar sound (Nylon strings).
I haven't been able to find any pedals to do that and I want to avoid having to put a midi pickup on my guitar.
As the FM3 is so powerful, has anyone been able to simulate a nylon string guitar with the FM3 or have any idea on how to do this?
Any ideas?

Rex

Legend!
I’ve heard acoustic guitar simulations that were useful, but I’ve never heard one that was convincing. To simulate the unique attack, voice and decay of a classical guitar would be even more difficult. I don’t see how it’s possible without going the MIDI/synth route.

ethomas1013

Fractal Fanatic
If you have an IR of a nylon string it can be simulated, but whether you find it convincing or not is another story.

Rex

Legend!
If you have an IR of a nylon string it can be simulated, but whether you find it convincing or not is another story.
That would get you closer to the sound, but the problem is that magnetic pickups don't have a smooth response. They act as comb filters, and you can't EQ that out. And you still haven't addressed the attack and decay of a classical guitar. Those are a big part of the unique classical sound.

ethomas1013

Fractal Fanatic
Agreed. That's why I said it may not be convincing. Personally, I hate acoustic sims using electric guitars. All of them sound terrible, IMO. The were some nylon string IRs floating around at one time. Playing an acoustic using a Nylon IR gets you closer.

sskkmm

Power User
You could also look around for a used nylon string. I grabbed a used Godin a few years back and it sounds great even direct to PA.

0B1EE126-AE52-4E60-B4B1-3A7E4859B8CB_1_105_c.jpeg

sskkmm

Power User
The guitar looks great..it'll probably cost a lot..I just need it for a couple of tracks I need to record so I don't want to spend too much :eek:/
It was $700, so not too much (compared to getting a roland and the midi pickup and so forth). Plus, I use it more than I though. The thick neck is great to practice on.

stdout

The guitar looks great..it'll probably cost a lot..I just need it for a couple of tracks I need to record so I don't want to spend too much :eek:/
Just a thought but depending where you live couldn’t you rent one for as long as you need. I imagine a lot of models come with on-board pickups in which case you could use an IR of a classical guitar to shape the sound if it was quacky.

Top Bottom