FM3 into tube amp or solid state power amp?

riffsordie

I just got a new FM3, but I haven't gotten to dive into it yet. I plan to still push air on stage with a real amp and 4x12 cabinet. I want to hear from experienced users about whether the Fractal gear sounds better when amplified by routing to the FX return of a tube amp VS into a clean solid state power amp. Which sounds better? Does anyone notice a difference that's worth mentioning?

If routing to the FX return of a tube amp, is it wise to send the signal without the Fractal amp block's "supply sag"? (I know not to use a cabinet block on the signal that's going to the real amp+cab).

Thanks for your help!

For my usage, I use a SS power amp and cab(s), as then I have total control over the SPL, and I'm not dependent on the real tube amp's "sweet spot" SPL, rather I get the "sweet spot" from the modeling.

YMMV?

I currently run my FM9 into a Mesa 2:Ninety tube power amp into a full stack. I want to love my Matrix SS power amp through the same cabs, but the Mesa just feels better. Recorded tone comparisons are like 99% between the two, but tubes hit the guitar cabs different IMO. Matrix does sound more clear and clean in my experience, if that makes sense.

In the end, I needed to try both to form my opinion. Forums are typically split 50/50

I currently run my FM9 into a Mesa 2:Ninety tube power amp into a full stack. I want to love my Matrix SS power amp through the same cabs, but the Mesa just feels better. Recorded tone comparisons are like 99% between the two, but tubes hit the guitar cabs different IMO. Matrix does sound more clear and clean in my experience, if that makes sense.

In the end, I needed to try both to form my opinion. Forums are typically split 50/50
I do agree, though you are then trapped by the tube amp's sweet spot SPL if you're using the tube amp as part of your distortion generation, but if you're not or have no SPL limitations, then the tube power amp is the way to go IMHO.

I use SS power amps for convenience sans SPL limitations, not for superior sonics or feel.

Last edited:
A FM3 and a well built solid state amp being run how it was designed can pretty much nail anything you want if you get the right one made with quality components.

There are pros and cons to either type of power amp choice.

Tube amp pros:
1. Perfect match of power amp to impedance curve to the speaker cabinet
2. A lot of stored energy to accurately reproduce high energy transients
3. If you use the effects return of a guitar amp, you probably don't need to buy anything to get up and running

Tube amp cons:
1. Poor portability: heavy, large
2. Expensive upkeep (tube prices are insane these days)
3. Stereo requires either two amp heads ($$$) or a dedicated stereo amp such as those from Synergy, Fryette, and Mesa ($$$)
4. Not truly flat response, so they impart their own sound signature onto the tone from your Fractal device
5. You'll have to compromise when deciding how to adjust the impedance curve in the amp block of the FM3 to avoid the additive effects of the amp modeling and the natural impedance curve response of the tube power amp / speaker cab.

SS amp pros:
1. Truly flat response; what your FM3 puts out is cleanly and accurately amplified with a quality SS amplifier
2. light weight and easily portable options are available
3. More durable and less expensive to upkeep than tube amplifiers
4. Stereo is commonly a standard feature
5. No concerns about additive reactive loading effects since solid state amplifiers are impervious to the effects of reactive speaker loads
6. Many high quality options can be purchased inexpensively on the used market

SS amp cons:
1. SS amplifiers will require you to match the FM3 speaker impedance curve to the cabinet manually for more authentic response and feel
2. SS amps vary in quality. Light weight and inexpensive options often do not have much stored energy to accurately reproduce high energy transients and don't sound good at higher SPL
3. There isn't currently a high quality SS power amp on the market that is made with guitarists in mind, so many of the best sounding options are 2 rack space PA oriented amplifiers which are heavy and are best suited to being transported in a rack case.

It all comes down to which compromises suit your use case better.

When I play through a power amp into guitar cabinets I use a QSC RMX2450 that I purchased used locally for $175 and it sounds awesome. I used the DATS V3 to measure the speaker impedance curves of my actual cabinets to better match the modeled speaker impedance curve in the amp block to the response of my cabs. The only real compromise with this setup is that it would be a major pain to transport for live use because the RMX2450 is an absolute boat anchor.

Back
Top Bottom