FM3 General Discussion Thread

So the FM3 main outputs are XLR ONLY. On the AX8 there were also unbalanced 1/4" jacks for Output 1. I am using a FRFR solid state power amp (Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170) into a GUITAR cabinet / speaker (V30). My power amp only accepts 1/4" input. I don't like using XLR to 1/4" cables because they are not readily available most places and I sometimes forget a cable when loading for a gig (I try not to, but inevitably it happens). So I was going to use Output 2 to connect to the power amp instead of Output 1 since I can then use standard 1/4" to 1/4" TS guitar cables. In the FM3, I will turn off the speakers cabs globally, copy Outoput 1 to Output 2, and sum the stereo output to mono.

Is there any disadvantage to using Output 2 instead of Output 1 in this scenario?

Nope. In fact there's a huge advantage - Output 1 is freed up to go direct to FR PA (post cab IR):

1581524414671.png
1581524620829.png

Choosing IRs that don't have honk or boxiness in the first place works pretty good too. :)

Sure, but having the ability to salvage IR's with them opens up a heck of a lot more options. And it's virtually impossible to find a steady source of reflection free IR's.

Last edited:
Regarding the XLR vs 1/4" Out 1/2, here's my solution: I've got a Mackie stereo DI box attached to the underside of my board. I'll run XLR->1/4" cables from the FM3 to it, then use it as a splitter with the XLR outs for FOH and the 1/4" pass-through outs for my FRFR cabs.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDB2P--mackie-mdb-2p-stereo-passive-direct-box

I've got it mounted to the underside of my Pedaltrain Novo board with the XLR outs facing outward for easy FOH access. The 1/4" outs run to the other side of the board where I have a Bestronics patch bay with Powercon and Out L/R jacks.

Nope. In fact there's a huge advantage - Output 1 is freed up to go direct to FR PA (post cab IR):

View attachment 63609
View attachment 63610

Thanks. If I wanted to JUST use Output 2 into an FRFR power amp and guitar speaker cabinet and not have to insert an Output 2 block in every preset I use, I assume I can just bypass the Cabinet GLOBALLY and have this affect BOTH Output 1 and Output 2 - correct?
I further assume there is no way GLOBALLY bypass the Cabinet independently for Output 1 and 2? It seems like this would be a common set-up to have cabinets in Output 1 and no cabinets in Output 2. I know Kemper can do this but i don't see how it can be done in the FM3 globally, only per preset. Putting an Output 2 block in every preset I use would be a total pain.

Question on Views
Normally you can use a tap per scene and hold for something else
Is Tap-hold a 3rd way the switch functions

What would be the difference from say
Using layout links on the 3 buttons HOLD function to get your preset
Fx , scene layout

Thanks. If I wanted to JUST use Output 2 into an FRFR power amp and guitar speaker cabinet and not have to insert an Output 2 block in every preset I use, I assume I can just bypass the Cabinet GLOBALLY and have this affect BOTH Output 1 and Output 2 - correct?
I further assume there is no way GLOBALLY bypass the Cabinet independently for Output 1 and 2? It seems like this would be a common set-up to have cabinets in Output 1 and no cabinets in Output 2. I know Kemper can do this but i don't see how it can be done in the FM3 globally, only per preset. Putting an Output 2 block in every preset I use would be a total pain.

Yes, you can global bypass the cab block. Great way to try all the factory presets with your PS170/cab.

Haven't you guys memorized the manual yet? (page 95) It's been out almost a full day! :)

(edit) Wait, I wasn't thorough/clear... actually we can't globally bypass the cab block independently for Out1 or Out2.. we can only Global Bypass - period. If a cab is present in the preset, it will by bypassed in Out1 and Out2. Bypassing only for Out2 required per-preset routing as depicted above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom