FM3 General Discussion Thread

Rublalup

Inspired
Hope I'm not breaking any rule by making this thread about the product that must not be named :p. The idea is to solve some doubts with the information available while we wait.

Hopefully this one doesn't goes over the top... I know it's been a frustrating wait for customers and also the company.

I'm planning to use XLR to FOH and to my Power Engine 60 that I use as a monitor in my actual set-up... but I've see there's a Humbuster OUT on the FX loop. I'm not clear about how that works... anybody could point me in the right direction to understand this?

You can place a send block where you want to take the signal to the Power Engine and use output 2 for that. I don't think you necessarily need a humbuster cable for that setup. Then volume 2 will control the volume to the Power Engine and you won't have to touch volume 1 that you send to FOH.

Out 1 is XLR. Out 2 is 1/4" with Humbuster™.
The labels "FX SEND" and "FX Return" are merely suggestive.
Either output can be used for anything you want, just like on the Axe-Fx III.
The available blocks are "OUT 1" and "OUT 2". Note to @TravisG406 : the "send block" is for creating internal feedback loops or send and return architectures and is not used in this case.

As for how Humbuster works, it senses and removes hum from a ground loop. It requires a special cable. The wiki covers it nicely:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Humbuster_cables

The available blocks are "OUT 1" and "OUT 2". Note to @TravisG406 : the "send block" is for creating internal feedback loops or send and return architectures and is not used in this case.

As for how Humbuster works, it senses and removes hum from a ground loop. It requires a special cable. The wiki covers it nicely:

Thanks. So I understand correctly as well, the only way to get a stereo out is to have either right or left as XLR, and the other as Humbuster TRS?

Thanks, I have bought the humbuster cable in anticipation... but it would be of any benefit using it to the amp versus using the XLR to foh and to amp (I will send mono to FOH so I assume I could assign summed mono to both XLR outs)?

Ah yes, I defaulted back to my AX8 memory lol

Thanks. So I understand correctly as well, the only way to get a stereo out is to have either right or left as XLR, and the other as Humbuster TRS?
To get stereo, send both XLR or both 1/4" to a stereo set of speakers or a board and pan the speakers to left and right.

Thanks, I have bought the humbuster cable in anticipation... but it would be of any benefit using it to the amp versus using the XLR to foh and to amp (I will send mono to FOH so I assume I could assign summed mono to both XLR outs)?
I prefer XLR to FOH and 1/4" to my monitor FRFR speaker because it doesn't require a DI to go to the mixing desk usually. Tying both FOH and your monitor to output 1 leaves you to adjust your stage volume only on the speaker itself because if you adjust output 1 volume at that point it is messing with FOH volume as well.

About the footswitch configuration the web states: " The new “Views” feature multiplies the power of layouts, in effect creating a virtual 12-button controller with a 3-button footprint."

Any idea how would that work? is available on the other FC?

About the footswitch configuration the web states: " The new “Views” feature multiplies the power of layouts, in effect creating a virtual 12-button controller with a 3-button footprint."

No idea yet and it's not on the fc's

I am curious about this as well. However, I think that we won't get any information until units start shipping.... ;)

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to using fractal products live. I have an axe fx 2 that I've only used I'm my bedroom studio.

I plan on using the FM3 for live purposes. If I go FOH, can I use IR's or does that mess up the sound

If you go direct to FOH you practically have to use IRs, otherwise it won't sound like a guitar through a speaker cabinet.

Thank you so much iaresee, I've never used any fractal products live and want to get the best sound possible. I love how portable the FM3 is. My presets are basic too so I doubt I'll be able to use it's full capabilities.

I'm pretty excited to use this live. I hope Cooper or Leon make a class for noobs like me lol

I'm thinking of FM configurations where I can sometimes use the 2 external pedal inputs with 2 dedicated switches in one of them and the other EITHER an expression pedal or two more switches in the other depending on the song (I would manually switch the physical cord in the input from one to the other between songs). Is there any way to program this per preset or would I have to switch it globally on the screen as well as the physical connection?

I'm thinking of FM configurations where I can sometimes use the 2 external pedal inputs with 2 dedicated switches in one of them and the other EITHER an expression pedal or two more switches in the other depending on the song (I would manually switch the physical cord in the input from one to the other between songs). Is there any way to program this per preset or would I have to switch it globally on the screen as well as the physical connection?
Yes. I switch my main expression pedal from wah to whammy in different presets all the time. There are ways to do this even within the same preset.

Yes. I switch my main expression pedal from wah to whammy in different presets all the time. There are ways to do this even within the same preset.

I'm actually talking about physically switching one of the pedal inputs from expression pedal to a 2 switch box on the fly (i.e. not changing what the expression pedal controls). Do you ever do this?

Question on the XLR vs 1/4
Humbuster

So if you are going out to monitors
Should you use XLR first
And if you have a noisy environment and interference then switch to the
1/4 humbuster

Question on the XLR vs 1/4
Humbuster

So if you are going out to monitors
Should you use XLR first
And if you have a noisy environment and interference then switch to the
1/4 humbuster
XLR already "busts hum" because of its design.

Humbuster was designed to give a similar "busting hum" design to standard 1/4" connections.

Back
Top Bottom