FM3 General Discussion Thread

Yes, I did this morning :-D

They hope to get a few units in February and March but that is just hoping....maybe G66-customers will get their units with a second batch when the customers on US and canada waitlist got their FM 3.

Thanks for asking, I figured it'd be the spring before they start appearing over here.

Looks like I'll have to suffer on with me III in the meantime......

Not sure if that info would tell you anything...
Don't forget that people from the AX8 waitlist were ported to the FM3 waitlist, so the waitlist has started months before FM3 was announced.
Also - No idea how long the waitlist is (What we do know is that it's humongous) or how many units Fractal can send in a day... I think some people are so eager for FM3 to start shipping, they even sold their current hardware, because they expect to get the invitation letter any day now, and they don't realize theirs might come in, like, half a year or so...

Yes yes, I know that, but it tells me how far away I am from the initial waitlist absolute beginning. That said, do you (or anyone) know the approximate time the actual FM3 waitlist was first made available on April 23 (EDT)? I assume it was April 23, I just don't know what time.

Thanks for asking, I figured it'd be the spring before they start appearing over here.

Looks like I'll have to suffer on with me III in the meantime......
Yes, but now we KNOW that the FM 3 is ready and the first lucky ones get them within the next days.
Now we are not talking of "when will FAS fix the issues with the unit" anymore :)

Yes yes, I know that, but it tells me how far away I am from the initial waitlist absolute beginning. That said, do you (or anyone) know the approximate time the actual FM3 waitlist was first made available on April 23 (EDT)? I assume it was April 23, I just don't know what time.
It was around 7 PM here (Central European Summer Time), don't know how that translates to american times.

View attachment 63591
How is everyone else dealing with the anticipation after this exciting news?
All I can do right now while I wait is twiddle my thumbs and pretend I can actually create presets in FM3 edit.

Well, I wake up, I go to work, I come home, I make supper, watch a bit of TV, play some guitar, then go to bed. Do it all the next day. Doubt that will change when I get an FM3.

I was reading the block guide for axe 3 and FM3. In the part about the Amp block I don't seem to have seen written about some missing controls in FM3 for the Amp block. Did I forget to read something? I remember that it was said that FM3 would have a few parameters less. Has something changed?

What, don't you trust my manual?? That's it! I'm now officially giving you the silent treatment until this thing is done.

Oh... wait, it's ready to ship. Yeah, the first invites are going out TOMORROW! (I'd do it now but I need a little support at the sales desk and those folks go home at 5PM.)

So, that's excellent news, right? I'm going to re-open the FM3 forum now.

PS: Please disregard any previous statements by Greg G. A lot of things changed since his departure. Please refer to the owner's manual and feel free to ask any questions.

Is the FM3 forum re-opening as stated above? Not showing up for me

I was reading the block guide for axe 3 and FM3. In the part about the Amp block I don't seem to have seen written about some missing controls in FM3 for the Amp block. Did I forget to read something? I remember that it was said that FM3 would have a few parameters less. Has something changed?

Seems like the only thing that is different to the Axe Fx III's amp block is that the FM3 does not have the Bias Tremolo. However, you can recreate ist sound in the Pan/Trem block according to the manual. Looks like all other controls are indeed there. As was mentioned before, since the original announcement it seems like they were able to add in several things they originally thought they couldn't (e.g. also the high quality modes on the reverb block when an amp block is already loaded).

What does it mean that Ultrares IR's are being "truncated" in the FM3s cab block? (Sorry, not a native English speaker and not that familiar with IR processing…)

Hmmmm... The Fractal Audio Blocks guide states that FM3 loads a truncated version of UltraRes IRs (page 20, note 1). Is this true? That would be quite a disappointment to me.

Doesn't surprise me at all... Axe-FX II and AX8 both use IRs that are truncated down to 170ms. Probably a necessary measure to conserve processing power.

UltraRes is 170 ms - This states that UltraRes IRs will be truncated (further)
seems odd to me. On the FAS wiki it states "UltraRes speaker IR processing is a Fractal Audio proprietary technique which enhances the spectral resolution of an IR without adding CPU burden or storage requirements"... if this is true, why the need to truncate?

Hahahaha its a little trick on Mac that allows you to sort of “fake” having an Axe-Fx connected. In the audio midi settings on the mac you can name the IAC bus by whatever FM3 or Axe Edit 3 say the device name will be in the preferences screen. It fakes out having one connected but only at the very first initial level. It allows you to see all the block library. Just a silly trick I figured out but of course you cant actually place blocks or create a preset without a real FM3 connected because it requires that Sysex midi data communication both ways.

Back
Top Bottom