FM3 Firmware Version 9.00 public beta 1

After playing with this update since it’s release I feel like the DynaCabs match even better with the amp models. I find I have to do a lot less tweaking to get a natural sound and feel. Amazing how Fractal keeps getting better.

Have patience... it will come, and it will be bigger/worth it when it does arrive.

Check out what has happened with the Axe FX recently - if all of that makes it to the next FM3 FW (um, plus my recent Wishlist suggestion for Songs and Setlists!), it will be awesome 😀

Finally got around to trying this update. Sounds good of course, but I'm still struggling to make DynaCabs work long term. They all sound so ... thin to me, compared to other stock IRs. Any presets I've made with DynaCab feel very "small" in comparison. Anyone else have the same experience?

Finally got around to trying this update. Sounds good of course, but I'm still struggling to make DynaCabs work long term. They all sound so ... thin to me, compared to other stock IRs. Any presets I've made with DynaCab feel very "small" in comparison. Anyone else have the same experience?
What mics are you using? What are you listening with? I liked the sound of condenser and dynamic 1 combo in my headphones but it sounded hollow live onstage through FRFR (Fender FR10 or Yamaha DXR10MKII). I switched the condenser to ribbon and played around with positioning and it sounds great to me in both situations now. I’m not using high gain amps. Fenders, Marshalls, some Vox with matching DynaCabs.

What mics are you using? What are you listening with? I liked the sound of condenser and dynamic 1 combo in my headphones but it sounded hollow live onstage through FRFR (Fender FR10 or Yamaha DXR10MKII). I switched the condenser to ribbon and played around with positioning and it sounds great to me in both situations now. I’m not using high gain amps. Fenders, Marshalls, some Vox with matching DynaCabs.

I play through some pretty balanced headphones. But I play high gain, usually with a 57/121 combo, so dynamic 1 and ribbon on DynaCabs. I can make it sound good, but DynaCabs have always just been a more ... petite tone.

I play through some pretty balanced headphones. But I play high gain, usually with a 57/121 combo, so dynamic 1 and ribbon on DynaCabs. I can make it sound good, but DynaCabs have always just been a more ... petite tone.
Is the output level from the CAB block in both cases the same? If not, turn up the output level when using the Dyna-Cabs.

Is the output level from the CAB block in both cases the same? If not, turn up the output level when using the Dyna-Cabs.
I don't adjust the cab output level, I'm just switching between Legacy and DynaCab and comparing the same mic combos with no other changes. I think Dynacabs is just quite bright to my ears, so that makes it sound thinner to me. I have to move the mics much further away from the cap than I would elsewhere.

I don't adjust the cab output level, I'm just switching between Legacy and DynaCab and comparing the same mic combos with no other changes. I think Dynacabs is just quite bright to my ears, so that makes it sound thinner to me. I have to move the mics much further away from the cap than I would elsewhere.
The DynaCabs in my experience seem to be about 1-2dB quieter than legacy. You will want to bump the level for A/B comparison.

Additionally many people have suddenly discovered they really like them after realizing they didn't remove the High Cut and Low Cut settings from their legacy settings when using the DynaCabs.

The DynaCabs in my experience seem to be about 1-2dB quieter than legacy. You will want to bump the level for A/B comparison.

Additionally many people have suddenly discovered they really like them after realizing they didn't remove the High Cut and Low Cut settings from their legacy settings when using the DynaCabs.

I'll keep playing around with them. I much prefer the moveable mic system, so I'm definitely hoping to figure out what's holding me back with them.

come on I'm stuck at home with COVID i need a new release to play with :)
really fractal want you to buy an axe fx (but the form factor for me is not feasible)

all_work.jpg

I’ve had luck with the Stealth Dynacabs and this is the only one to stick for me so far. DC does seem a little thin to me overall and part of that may be the missing proximity parameter and lack of Ultrares. With the Stealth cabs I am getting tones I enjoy. I bought the pack and mixed a few export Ultrares IR’s that are nice. But my favorite DC is just the onboard cabs with a dynamic/ condenser mix. I boost the lows in the amp block output eq and there it is.

I’ve had luck with the Stealth Dynacabs and this is the only one to stick for me so far. DC does seem a little thin to me overall and part of that may be the missing proximity parameter and lack of Ultrares. With the Stealth cabs I am getting tones I enjoy. I bought the pack and mixed a few export Ultrares IR’s that are nice. But my favorite DC is just the onboard cabs with a dynamic/ condenser mix. I boost the lows in the amp block output eq and there it is.

Weird, I’ve found the dynamic 1 mic on just about any dyna cab to be unbearably bright and thin, despite using that mic in every other IR I’ve ever used. But the condenser has been quite usable.

In any case, I’m perfectly happy with other IRs, and I don’t expect DynaCab to drastically change so if I don’t like it now I don’t imagine I ever will.

Weird, I’ve found the dynamic 1 mic on just about any dyna cab to be unbearably bright and thin, despite using that mic in every other IR I’ve ever used. But the condenser has been quite usable.

In any case, I’m perfectly happy with other IRs, and I don’t expect DynaCab to drastically change so if I don’t like it now I don’t imagine I ever will.

I run the dynamic at a low mix with the condenser being the main mic because yeah it’s bright. Last weekend I spent several hours playing with my main preset and the Stealth cab. I’ve not been on board with the DC’s since they were released. But last weekend it was sounding great, as good as the same amp block with my regular IR’s. I won’t say better but just as good. I’m running through a Fender FR-10 so it has a lot of thump. I’ll try it out on my F12 cab and see if I still like it.

Adjust brightness side to side, low end close and far (for cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and figure eight polar pattered mics anyway...). It's common to mic guitar cabs way over on the edge of the cone to tame the high end, then closer in for more bottom end. Most guitar cabs roll-off their high end starting around 4.5K - 5.5K, at around 12db per octave or more, so don't forget your HPF and LPF.

Dyna-Cabs give you all the tools needed to craft any desired tone within the limitations of mic and cab choices available (and their 1024 point length in the FM3, vs their 2048 point length for the FM9/AFX3, though longer is not always better depending on the quality of the IR capture).

Last edited:
I run the dynamic at a low mix with the condenser being the main mic because yeah it’s bright. Last weekend I spent several hours playing with my main preset and the Stealth cab. I’ve not been on board with the DC’s since they were released. But last weekend it was sounding great, as good as the same amp block with my regular IR’s. I won’t say better but just as good. I’m running through a Fender FR-10 so it has a lot of thump. I’ll try it out on my F12 cab and see if I still like it.

Have you tried DC’s with high gain? Most of the time I’ve heard others mention struggling with it, it’s been with high gain. I don’t think I struggle as much with clean tones, I’ll have to mess around with that tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom