FM3 Firmware Version 9.00 public beta 1

Adjust brightness side to side, low end close and distance (for cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and figure eight polar pattered mics anyway...). It's common to mic guitar cabs way over on the edge of the cone to tame the high end, then closer in for more bottom end. Most guitar cabs roll-off their high end starting around 4.5K - 5.5K, at around 12db per octave or more, so don't forget your HPF and LPF.

Dyna-Cabs give you all the tools needed to craft any desired tone within the limitations of mic and cab choices available (and their 1024 point length in the FM3, vs their 2048 length for the FM9/AFX3, though longer is not always better depending on the quality of the IR capture).
I appreciate this tutorial, but I’m not a new guitarist.

I've been considering downgrading back down to 8.0, but we all I know the moment I do that the next release will come out 😂
The next release won't be coming out until the new preamp changes on Axe FX III get out of beta then ported and private beta tested on the FM3. I assume it's those changes that are the extra goodies Matt said are being included preventing this beta from being released.

Have you tried DC’s with high gain? Most of the time I’ve heard others mention struggling with it, it’s been with high gain. I don’t think I struggle as much with clean tones, I’ll have to mess around with that tomorrow.

No I’m more of a classic rock gain player. I’ve read those complaints too. Using Dynacabs just means you’ve selected 1 or more mixed IR’s through the interface which is excellent imo. As far as I know the actual captures aren’t any different than what York and OH do. More precise for sure and more captures across the cone. Up till now I never found a Dynacab that I put into rotation. I bought the TV pack when it came out and got some nice IR’s out of it but don’t actually use them. I bought some IR packs that just take up space. Use whatever works for you. Dynacabs are optional in the same way of having 100’s of amps and pedals but only using a few of them. I’m happy to have the DC but using it is not mandatory or necessary to get good tone.
Meanwhile I’m just hoping Cliff will code the Mutron pedal for the next release.

I appreciate this tutorial, but I’m not a new guitarist.
Well, being a guitarist isn't the same as being an audio engineer, and many guitarists simply have no clue how to get good guitar sounds in the studio via mic'ing their cabs (which is essentially what the Dyna-Cabs feature is providing), which of course is also much different than a local live venue sound guy hurriedly tossing a SM57 in front of a speaker on stage during a sound check.

Hopefully the basics noted can help some folks here etc.

Well, being a guitarist isn't the same as being an audio engineer, and many guitarists simply have no clue how to get good guitar sounds in the studio via mic'ing their cabs (which is essentially what the Dyna-Cabs feature is providing), which of course is also much different than a local live venue sound guy hurriedly tossing a SM57 in front of a speaker on stage during a sound check.

Hopefully the basics noted can help some folks here etc.

Totally! You nailed all the essential info for dealing with movable mics. The one opinion I take issue with is that DynaCabs is inherently perfect and can do no wrong for anyone. It's not working for me personally, and no amount of HP/LP filters, cab combos or mic positioning is fixing that right now. But I'm perfectly happy with my tones and the other gajillion IRs I love the sound of, so it's not at all a detriment to my FM3 experience.

Totally! You nailed all the essential info for dealing with movable mics. The one opinion I take issue with is that DynaCabs is inherently perfect and can do no wrong for anyone. It's not working for me personally, and no amount of HP/LP filters, cab combos or mic positioning is fixing that right now. But I'm perfectly happy with my tones and the other gajillion IRs I love the sound of, so it's not at all a detriment to my FM3 experience.
No, I didn't mean to imply that the Dyna-Cabs are perfect, especially in the FM3 which uses truncated IR's in it's Dyna-Cabs vs the FM9/AFX3. I use an old Two Notes Torpedo CAB with my FM3 instead, though mostly due to the CPU savings while using it's cab, mics, room sim/reverb, and EQ.

If it sounds good, it is good!

When changing the display mode of the Input block gate from Advanced to Easy, the CPU usage drops by ~1%, but the behavior of the gate doesn't change in a way I can reliably perceive. It is consistent with Classic and Intelligent modes assuming the Threshold is above "off".

Is this how it is supposed to be? Which Attack and Ratio are used when the block is in Easy mode? I'm normally using 1ms in the Attack and I feel like in Easy mode it goes to some higher value, probably the default 2? Pretty sure I'm hearing this with my eyes though.

I keep finding myself writing responses and then choosing to not post them because of concern I will ruffle feathers explaining the truth and reality of things. Anyone else find themselves having this reaction? Oh well I suppose, “such is life” these days.

When changing the display mode of the Input block gate from Advanced to Easy, the CPU usage drops by ~1%, but the behavior of the gate doesn't change in a way I can reliably perceive. It is consistent with Classic and Intelligent modes assuming the Threshold is above "off".

Is this how it is supposed to be? Which Attack and Ratio are used when the block is in Easy mode? I'm normally using 1ms in the Attack and I feel like in Easy mode it goes to some higher value, probably the default 2? Pretty sure I'm hearing this with my eyes though.
I would be inclined to not put much energy into wondering what’s going on with the CPU when the change is in the 1% range. Not an answer to your specific question, but a little experience. Maybe @Admin M@ can shed some light.

That all depends how it's implemented under the surface. Maybe by having the values be fixed in place instead of editable, there are some optimizations it can apply when it's running. The editable values might behave the same when set to the same range, but since they could be set to different values the math has to run each time.

Hey,
It would be very difficult for me to prove since I can't compare it with FW 8.0, but in some presets I had a Rat Distortion in the drive block with the distortion knob at 0.66 and they sound totally funny (the same thing happens with the Fat Rat).
I wonder if there has been some revision of these pedals and therefore they are more realistic and need to be reset considering this, or if it's some kind of bug.
Could someone who has access to both firmware 8.0 and 9.0 beta make a comparison? Thx

Hey,
It would be very difficult for me to prove since I can't compare it with FW 8.0, but in some presets I had a Rat Distortion in the drive block with the distortion knob at 0.66 and they sound totally funny (the same thing happens with the Fat Rat).
I wonder if there has been some revision of these pedals and therefore they are more realistic and need to be reset considering this, or if it's some kind of bug.
Could someone who has access to both firmware 8.0 and 9.0 beta make a comparison? Thx
There is an issue with some of the Drive models. I’m not sure all that are affected, but could be what you’re experiencing. See link below

Post in thread 'FM3 Firmware Version 9.00 public beta 1'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-9-00-public-beta-1.206430/post-2576078

Apologies, but was the occasional issue with fonts already reported for this FW? It happens randomly and goes away after the restart. FM3T.
1723200352366.png

Cliff also said the engineering team is stretched thin due to the new mystery product. Means we're on our own, gentlemen. There's no escape, no rescue. Just us against nature. We should start to gather supplies for a camp and find a pot to boil some potable water, I think I heard a river nearby here. Anyone know how to fish?

Back
Top Bottom