FM3 Firmware Version 7.00 beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may depend on what order you install.

I install firmware first and then FM edit. Once I launch FM edit for the first time it automatically refreshes block definitions.
You can usually install the firmware first, but the advent of Dyna-Cabs changed how it works because the cabs can’t be loaded unless the Dyna-Cabs-aware Fractal-Bot is used, either the embedded or stand-alone version.

There are technical reasons why we have to refresh manually, Edit can’t always tell when it should do it automatically.

But switching between betas, maybe to find where a bug occurs, it's not needed, and the automation would be only a huge waste of time of the real testers, who help devs in the troubleshooting process.
That’s overlooking the fact that often, during beta, changes occur inside models, and Edit has to re-scan the firmware to find what changed. Without the scan essential changes can be missed.

I rescan manually, and often, to ensure that Edit has an up-to-date idea of what is in the modeler, especially when bouncing between different versions of the firmware to track down problems. It’s just part of the process.

Who let all the Karens in the thread? :rolleyes:

Missi Pyle Karen GIF by MOODMAN

I noticed the switches had to be reassigned. The screens went blank and lights turned off a few times while editing.

You can usually install the firmware first, but the advent of Dyna-Cabs changed how it works because the cabs can’t be loaded unless the Dyna-Cabs-aware Fractal-Bot is used, either the embedded or stand-alone version.

There are technical reasons why we have to refresh manually, Edit can’t always tell when it should do it automatically.
Yup - when I installed the beta 3 I did have to refresh manually - so always good practice to do it after an install

At least.
I'm thinking the "Refresh After Firmware" needs to be in BIG red letters on each release just as a reminder. We all have missed that step I'm sure. :)

Depends on the firmware. Not every release requires it.

This might be a question for the FM3-Edit devs, but couldn't they just save the firmware version that was last connected somewhere, and if an FM3 is connected with a different version suggest to refresh automatically?

This might be a question for the FM3-Edit devs, but couldn't they just save the firmware version that was last connected somewhere, and if an FM3 is connected with a different version suggest to refresh automatically?
They already do. The problem is much deeper than that. It’s one of those things that seems easy on the surface until you get into it, then we go… “Ohhh. Never mind.” Version numbering is a tough problem for all sorts of software.

IMHO much of this upset with “refresh after” discussion is indicative of the latest generations of tech users. I come from the “Murphy’s Law” approach to electronics and digital electronics relying on software/firmware. Part of this is because I have spent many years in the field in R&D testing. Where the rubber first begins to hit the road. The consumer market has made huge strides in making products fool proof, but nothing is and I approach all of this with the “whatever can go wrong, eventually will”. So as a tech person and as an end user “regular Joe” I have developed a very methodical approach to every aspect of the modern age of technology. To be specific when installing/changing software code to a device especially one that uses a UI I leave nothing to chance. I read all instructions until I thoroughly understand them and then I do whatever I can to eliminate variables. If I stated most of these steps many here (even the more knowledgeable) would say they’re unnecessary. One example is I remove all I/O connections except obviously the USB and then I have a whole set of mojo when it comes to using MS Windows.😉

Basically, I have been doing all the betas since the first Cygnus release and have never had any problems and they have always gone as expected. Like many aspects of modern life there’s a good bit of entitlement presumed that is just hard for some of us to relate.

The bold red text was a good step, but I think they need to go full Alice's Restaurant on 'em, and put it in the middle of the post, away from everything else on the post, in parentheses, capital letters, quotated.... :D
Notes must make sure to have all sit on the "Group W" bench . . . just sayin'

Idiot-proofing is wasted effort, as anything you idiot-proof simply puts evolutionary pressure on them, and they become idioter....

One of my early programming mentors told me one day…
"It's possible to make something fool-proof but not damn-fool-proof because damn-fools are so creative."

Sometimes there's a point of diminishing returns where fixing something in code is not worth it and it becomes a documentation and training problem. It depends on what it is and what relies on it being that way.

Calling the 100's of people who were tripped up by the undocumented need to refresh "idiots" and "fools" is unnecessarily demeaning. When you have that many people reporting a problem, you can't wish it away as user error.

Anyway, rglr seems to have acknowledged the problem and added a comment about refreshing to the OP. That brief note will probably go a long way towards solving the problem. It's water under the bridge at this point, but the deluge of people reporting problems with this in the Axe-FX III public betas probably could have been avoided with a similar simple note in the announcements and/or readme files.

Calling the 100's of people who were tripped up by the undocumented need to refresh "idiots" and "fools" is unnecessarily demeaning. When you have that many people reporting a problem, you can't wish it away as user error.

Anyway, rglr seems to have acknowledged the problem and added a comment about refreshing to the OP. That brief note will probably go a long way towards solving the problem. It's water under the bridge at this point, but the deluge of people reporting problems with this in the Axe-FX III public betas probably could have been avoided with a similar simple note in the announcements and/or readme files.
Oh man C’mon…these are well known idioms and I for one was not demeaning anyone. I was empathizing because I/we have all been there. But to have an attitude that there should be no proactive approach by the end user and it should all be served on a silver platter is BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom