FM3 Firmware Version 5.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you updated
Yes, yes and yes, the latest FW and presets, directly from the site. I also developed a habit of mandatory "full reset" procedure after each FW update. Takes no time to get my settings back if needed, so why not. I run Win8.1 on this computer with 3m USB cable, will test on W11 later with a very short USB cable.

I can't duplicate the problem using the #17 AC-20 Deluxe from the preset archive for June 3, 2022, on my FM3 running v5.03. That preset runs at 62-64%
This morning it runs just fine, below 1 sec update of GUI after pressing a switch on device. So I don't have a clear reproducing steps, unfortunately. If I figure out how to make it "slow" again, I'll report. So far it is "Gendalf_smoking.gif" all over again!

How long is your USB cable?
3m, no hubs. While I was typing this, I decided to check if DAW has any effect on this - but before I even started DAW, I noticed that enabling/disabling DRV results in 3 sec GUI lag. I swear it was les then 1 sec just a few minutes ago, and I did NOTHING except for typing in this comment. I am so confused. Windows task manager shows 2% CPU and 50% RAM usage, it's FM3-Edit and Chrome only.
Also, it was better on previous FW, that's why I'm raising it here.

Anyhow, the unit itself switches quickly, so not worth worrying about in my opinion
I agree! Nothing critical here, just reporting observations. No delays in sound switching, it's very fast.

this happens to me as well if using Win 11 and other apps are running. Try it without other apps running in the background and see if that doesn't fix the problem.
That would make sense if FM3-Edit was a very CPU-demanding software, but even if it is, my CPU consumption is so low, that this shouldn't really be a problem even if I run browser, DAW, player, AV software, etc.
Before posting this comment, I decided to check GUI lag once again - less then 1s delay :) Nothing changed!

Take your time. Ain’t nobody got time for bugs. 5.03 is stellar!
Exactly. FAS is constantly updating these units. My Axe-fx 3 turbo sounds incredible with the new 20.03 release features. Honestly, my FM3 sounds killer with 5.03. I am eager for thump and the new SICs, but it is so good already. I would rather updates come out more stabile that more quickly. Personal opinion, of course.

Have you updated your factory presets to the current version? Which version of FM3-Edit and the firmware are you using? Are you on Windows or macOS? If you're on Windows, what version of the USB driver are you using?

I can't duplicate the problem using the #17 AC-20 Deluxe from the preset archive for June 3, 2022, on my FM3 running v5.03. That preset runs at 62-64% CPU with Reverb Quality at Economy. Enabling/disabling the Drive block from the front panel with the Amp block results in an update of the editor in ~0.5 seconds. Using the built-in OMG9 layout with my FC6 seems to be as fast. Switching the saturation and amp boost on and changing to ultra-high quality in the Reverb raised CPU to 73-75% and switching on/off bypass for the Drive hasn't changed the editor update speed at all.

I never run my Reverb above Economy because in a live situation the difference is impossible for me to hear. Even at my desk with good headphones on it's really hard to hear, to the point that after trying a couple of times I decided it wasn't worth raising the quality. The same is true with the Cab block, which I leave at Standard. The differences aren't significant enough for me, or anyone in the audience, to notice in the thick of a song.

How long is your USB cable? The spec says it's 5 meters if I remember right. Anything beyond that can cause problems. Have you tried a different USB cable? Is there other software running that'd be listening to or intercepting the USB, like a DAW?

PS - Are you using a USB hub? Unpowered hubs are trouble. I use a dedicated Thunderbolt (USB-C) powered hub for my Fractal units.
Would you mind giving a link to what you use, or even just the make & model?

Another data point: I'm running 5.03 along with an M1 Macbook Air, macOS Monterey 12.4 with a 6ft USB cable and no USB hub. It's been rock solid with quick UI switching and updates in the FM3-Edit UI.

Where @Randalljax :) How is the new Thump on FM9 ?
I am here , have not have a Lot of time with it honestly , all the new speaker stuff is cool , it definitely feels a bit different more spongy maybe ??
The thump is cool but fairly subtle , they all interact w the Speaker Curves and impedance , and again I would say it mostly affects the feel
but I have not cranked it

Hey I just want to say that although I didn't understand what the Scene Ignore feature was all about at first, now that I have gotten to use it it is super useful and a much needed feature that I didn't even know I needed lol. Thanks FAS!

Hey I just want to say that although I didn't understand what the Scene Ignore feature was all about at first, now that I have gotten to use it it is super useful and a much needed feature that I didn't even know I needed lol. Thanks FAS!
Instill
Don’t understand what it does….where can I get a simple explananation?

Just go to page 1 and read the release notes.
Did that….makes no sense to me, not sure what this means
‘This allows turning Scene Ignore to OFF on one or more channels which will then allow a scene change to set the block to a desired state if the block is on that channel.’
That seems to say if you turn it ‘off’ scenes work as normal. What does it do if it’s ‘on’
I will wait til someone puts a video up on YouTube. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom