FM3 Firmware Version 4.01

Hi
Haven't upgraded yet but just wondered from anybody that has and done the “Upgrade Presets” does this change any of the preset settings on the amp block for example like resetting the amp block does after a normal major firmware .
Haven't seen any mention of this in the thread, sorry for a dumb question.
Cheers
G \../
It makes no changes to settings, it only updates some firmware version stuff inside the memory for the preset to speed up the switching time.

It's been covered including in the original posting... https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-4-01.175659/ and https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-4-01.175659/post-2131049 and https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-4-01.175659/post-2131160

Last edited:
This timing is torture! I went out of town yesterday for a week long vacation! I wanna go back home but the wife says no :sweatsmile:

Can't wait to try the updated delays when I get back! Happy playing, folks!

Same we went out of town for a week on Sunday. Everyone can thank us for the firmware release timing I suppose!

I have to double check how this ”presets saved in the flash memory” works.

1. I have done it already
2. Does this make Preset changes quicker?
3. When new firmware with major changes comes, are all of my presets automaticly updated? i.e. No need for amp resets?

I have to double check how this ”presets saved in the flash memory” works.

1. I have done it already
2. Does this make Preset changes quicker?
3. When new firmware with major changes comes, are all of my presets automaticly updated? i.e. No need for amp resets?
Admin M@ stated above that he sees this as being a one-time event for now (he had to double check though). In reality I expect this might be occasionally needed in the future and you can glean that from previous posts as well. Bottom line, if the unit seems sluggish (after presumably a firmware update), then run the utility (just be sure to back up first).

Yes, it should make preset switching faster.

As I stated above, I believe the phrase "loaded in flash memory" might be causing confusion...it applies to all presets loaded into the unit.

No, it does not update presets (in the traditional sense).

Reactions: DTS
Hi all. Looking for some help. I upgraded to 4.01, updated to the latest version of FM3 Edit, and updated my presets as directed. Prior to updating, I had no problems connecting to FM3 Edit/FractalBot on my iMac via USB. Now, whenever I plug in a USB cable (tried several cables) my FM3 fan starts spinning up high and the temp goes to 188+ and it is not recognized by my computer. The fan continues running high and temp is hot until I turn off the FM3, remove the USB cable and restart. I can repeat this over and over again. Any suggestions?

Hi all. Looking for some help. I upgraded to 4.01, updated to the latest version of FM3 Edit, and updated my presets as directed. Prior to updating, I had no problems connecting to FM3 Edit/FractalBot on my iMac via USB. Now, whenever I plug in a USB cable (tried several cables) my FM3 fan starts spinning up high and the temp goes to 188+ and it is not recognized by my computer. The fan continues running high and temp is hot until I turn off the FM3, remove the USB cable and restart. I can repeat this over and over again. Any suggestions?
I suggest that you reinstall 4.0 and see how it behaves. If all is good, do a reinstall of 4.01. Basically you want to go back to the last known "good" state and move forward from there. Also it wouldn't hurt to reinstall FM3 Edit. I also use a Mac and have had zero problems.

I installed the update with no problems. When I went to update the presets …at about 50% my screen did this. Can I shut the unit off while the presets are updating? I can’t tell what’s happening.

Attachments

• 3C2B85F4-3F91-4C38-96B4-F722E41C07CA.jpeg
    3C2B85F4-3F91-4C38-96B4-F722E41C07CA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
I installed the update with no problems. When I went to update the presets …at about 50% my screen did this. Can I shut the unit off while the presets are updating? I can’t tell what’s happening.
Yes. If it's obvious it's not progressing, then you can shut it down and repeat. That's why they suggest that you back up your presets before executing. It should really only be a concern for any presets you've made yourself as you should already have files for anything purchased. BTW, the screen def should not do that. Mine maintained the typical progress bar the whole time. If it repeats, you may want to reinstall firmware and try again (possibly first revert to 4.00, check things out, then retry 4.01).

I suggest that you reinstall 4.0 and see how it behaves. If all is good, do a reinstall of 4.01. Basically you want to go back to the last known "good" state and move forward from there. Also it wouldn't hurt to reinstall FM3 Edit. I also use a Mac and have had zero problems.
Thanks, but I'm not sure how to reinstall 4.0 because I can no longer get my FM3 to connect to Fractalbot.

No worries. I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried it on two different computers. Same results.
Ok, so it's probably not FM3 Edit or FracBot (FracBot is stand alone, but is also integrated with FM3 Edit). Unix-guy is pretty savvy (there are others also), he'll probably answer once he see's he's tagged. It's a Friday evening, so you may have to be patient.

While you're waiting for more answers, it wouldn't hurt to periodically reboot the unit. More than once people have posted of problems which eventually went away after further reboots (can't hurt).

Last edited:
No worries. I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried it on two different computers. Same results.
Are you using the standalone FractalBot or the one built in to FM3-EDIT?

If using the standalone version make sure to close FM3-EDIT...

I don't have an FM3 but you can try disconnecting the USB, powering off both the computer and FM3, power on the computer, connect the USB then power on the FM3.

If you have not, also try different USB cables and ports on your computer.

Are you using the standalone FractalBot or the one built in to FM3-EDIT?

If using the standalone version make sure to close FM3-EDIT...

I don't have an FM3 but you can try disconnecting the USB, powering off both the computer and FM3, power on the computer, connect the USB then power on the FM3.

If you have not, also try different USB cables and ports on your computer.
Thanks. I got an email reply from Fractal (after hours on a Friday night = amazing customer service). Tried these suggestions and a few more things. Not fixed yet (might be hardware), but on a path towards resolution. Appreciate the help @unix-guy and @fcs101 :)

Thanks. I got an email reply from Fractal (after hours on a Friday night = amazing customer service). Tried these suggestions and a few more things. Not fixed yet (might be hardware), but on a path towards resolution. Appreciate the help @unix-guy and @fcs101 :)
Thanks for letting us know. That's got to be so frustrating to not be able to use your 3 for now. Hope you get it up and running quickly!

Kids, I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not, but I moved to an empty preset when using the Update Presets utility. It only took 6-7 minutes. YMMV.

*sigh. I'm starting to lose hope that the FM3 will actually get it at all. The current one is serviceable, just not great, like the Axe III's.

I'm new to Fractal, what is the difference between the Fm3 and Axe 3 when it comes to the pitch block?

Also, does anyone know if the increased cpu usage in the new version is a bug waiting to be fixed? I keep hitting the cpu limit on 4.0 and I was hoping that newer firmware would optimize its usage instead of the other way around.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know if the increased cpu usage in the new version is a bug waiting to be fixed? I keep hitting the cpu limit on 4.0 and I was hoping that newer firmware would optimize its usage instead of the other way around.

Thanks!
I‘ll take a shot at your second question. First, I’m assuming you’re referring to your custom presets becoming unusable due to cpu usage with the new firmware. This may not sound fair, but you have to realize we were basically given a whole new product with Cygnus and now with the latest F/W update and Fractal Edit improvements. I feel pretty confident in saying most other companies would be wanting a grand for the “FM3 mkII“ or something like that. This technology is 99.9% happening in the digital domain. It’s not very logical to expect major improvements without CPU usage increasing. It’s the compromise that‘s made instead of just having one amp and some pedals to play through. I would probably bite the bullet and go through your presets and see how you can tweak them to bring them inline.

I know I don’t sound very empathetic and in full disclosure I only bought the FM3 right before the release of Cygnus. So I had no presets made. I had no idea these improvements were coming down until the unit was in shipping. I had been a anti-modeler until now. The FM3 is the coolest thing I bought in years for guitar. Along with Cliff’s almost transcendent ability to make this stuff function the way I had always hoped it would is quite the achievement. I have an electronic engineering background and am able to understand much of the technology, but probably would never have had the patience or gift to bring it all together.

There‘s always going back to the previous F/W. It’s not like you will have nothing.
Edit:
If you do need the extra overhead then the Axe III may be what you need. It does have much more CPU ability. In some ways I believe Fractal has done some crazy code and algorithm backflips to squeeze as much in the FM3 as they can to come close to matching the basic abilities of the Axe III.

Last edited:
I‘ll take a shot at your second question. First, I’m assuming you’re referring to your custom presets becoming unusable due to cpu usage with the new firmware. This may not sound fair, but you have to realize we were basically given a whole new product with Cygnus and now with the latest F/W update and Fractal Edit improvements. I feel pretty confident in saying most other companies would be wanting a grand for the “FM3 mkII“ or something like that. This technology is 99.9% happening in the digital domain. It’s not very logical to expect major improvements without CPU usage increasing. It’s the compromise that‘s made instead of just having one amp and some pedals to play through. I would probably bite the bullet and go through your presets and see how you can tweak them to bring them inline.

I know I don’t sound very empathetic and in full disclosure I only bought the FM3 right before the release of Cygnus. So I had no presets made. I had no idea these improvements were coming down until the unit was in shipping. I had been a anti-modeler until now. The FM3 is the coolest thing I bought in years for guitar. Along with Cliff’s almost transcendent ability to make this stuff function the way I had always hoped it would is quite the achievement. I have an electronic engineering background and am able to understand much of the technology, but probably would never have had the patience or gift to bring it all together.

There‘s always going back to the previous F/W. It’s not like you will have nothing.
Edit:
If you do need the extra overhead then the Axe III may be what you need. It does have much more CPU ability. In some ways I believe Fractal has done some crazy code and algorithm backflips to squeeze as much in the FM3 as they can to come close to matching the basic abilities of the Axe III.

I just got my fm3 about a month ago so I'm only familiar with Cygnus. I am coming from Helix where I'm used to free updates. The fact you think most other companies would be wanting a grand for the updates definitely confirms you were an "anti-modeler" guy until now :)

I'm not trying to sound entitled though and I really appreciate the consistent updates and upgrades the Fractal team puts out. It's part of the appeal. I'm just asking if the cpu usage increase might be a bug, because it does feel like backwards progress. Usually blocks/effects are optimized for lower cpu usage in updates. But maybe the quality was increased for some blocks?

I haven't updated to 4.1 yet but I will when I get back home tomorrow as I'm eager to try the new delays. I was just a little worried as I know many of my presets are around the 79-80% mark. But what made me think it might be a bug is the fact that the admins in this thread have been asking about the increased usage and asking users to upload the presets in question.

The Fm3 is the coolest guitar related thing I've bought in years as well.

Back
Top Bottom