FM3 Firmware Version 4.01

Man this post went completely past me! Glad to hear you didn't give up playing and are able to play today! Healthy body is definitely not to be taken for granted. Been dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome a bit lately and it's no fun!

Here's to years of playing yet to come! 🍻
That’s OK, I miss posts all the time. Thanks and cheers to you!👍
…oh and be careful with the Carpal Tunnel. Warming up more and believe it or not stretching and massage of the muscles and tendons of the upper forearm can help alleviate the tension build up down in the carpal area. I had to become a bit of an anatomy buff. It’s amazing how everything that controls the hands and wrists starts further up the arm. You’re correct, it’s so easy to take a healthy body for granted when we’re young and invincible.😉

Last edited:
I got it to reconnect to FM Edit once after rolling back to 4.0. Today nothing. Bought a new USB cable, changed USB ports, uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers, reinstalled FM Edit, rebooted computer and FM3 multiple times. I can't or don't know how to reinstall 4.01 w/o being connected to FM Edit.

Only other thing I can think of to try is roll back the FM Edit, but I can't find a link to the previous version. If anyone can point there, I'll give it a whirl.

The computer isn't seeing the FM3 at all.

I started a convo with FAS support, so, we'll see what happens

Sean Meredith-Jones
It seems like you did everything I can think to do. Let us know how things turn out.

really digging this update, preset switch seems slower but scene switching is still lightning fast which is wonderful

Did you try the following?

• Added “Presets” Utilities page to upgrade Presets stored in flash to the currently installed firmware version. When executed, all presets stored in flash with an older version of the firmware will be upgraded to the currently installed firmware version and automatically re-saved to flash. This process can take up to 20 minutes but will speed up preset changes. NOTE: backup your presets before using this utility.
This solved a slow preset switching issue for me after I upgraded.

It seems like you did everything I can think to do. Let us know how things turn out.
Mark at Fractal emailed back and gave me suggestions. One of which was make sure the USB cable is no longer than 6 feet. The new one I bought was 10 feet. I went back and exchanged it with BestBuy and brought a 2nd one home. I was skeptical that would have any effect, but it worked! Who knew? My other USB cable was certainly less than 6 feet and worked with other devices. Weird. Hopefully this lasts. Rolled back to 4.01.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Mark at Fractal emailed back and gave me suggestions. One of which was make sure the USB cable is no longer than 6 feet. The new one I bought was 10 feet. I went back and exchanged it with BestBuy and brought a 2nd one home. I was skeptical that would have any effect, but it worked! Who knew? My other USB cable was certainly less than 6 feet and worked with other devices. Weird. Hopefully this lasts. Rolled back to 4.01.

Sean Meredith-Jones
One of the things I did in a past life was R&D design and testing of high speed digital cabling and interconnects, USB being one. I always stayed out of the cable quality, cost and specification arguments that would erupt in the past 20 years because I knew cost and quality matters, but the conventional wisdom among the uneducated was it didn’t matter. Like all things as quality and costs rise there is a diminishing return aspect that is involved. Also, no doubt there were and are companies that hyped things to charge overly high prices.

The bottomline is signal transmission can be and is a sophisticated array of electrical, RFI, EMI and mechanical considerations. A simple example is all connectors are rated and designed for a specific amount of insertions and extractions. Thus the cost of a cable with a higher number will be higher. Another aspect is the shielding and its quality. When hooked to sophisticated test and analysis equipment you can see plain as day the differences in design and quality. Even a kink where the shielding is damaged slightly will result in degradation of transfer rates and errors. For instances that older cable you had could have been worn just enough to cause enough errors or improper connection for certain applications that made be a fail. Not all contacts and signal lines are used on every USB connector based on the applications. For instance, they have become simple power cables for a multitude of products and the data transmission aspect isn’t even used. Or if one of the very fine wires are causing an open circuit it may appear to work for some things and not others. Although problems are more likely to become an issue down the road. This is why it would be good to throw that suspect cable away or label it as being questionable.

Most of all I‘m glad you’re up and running.

Edit:
one thing I wanted to add was that the same electrical and mechanical issues apply to analog applications too. They just have a different “pass/fail“ threshold and tolerance to quality and defect issues. Meaning high quality audio cables are not as discernible from low quality based on application and the one doing the discerning. Again, connect to the proper test and analysis equipment and it can be seen and the diminishing returns thing applies here also.

Last edited:
So for a noob, this is incredibly confusing. I got an FM3 before 4.0 / 4.01. Life got in the way and I’ve barely used it. I want to upgrade it so every amp / block / preset I might select is the latest and greatest now. I’m reading about soft resets vs hard resets vs global etc etc etc. I just want everything on the latest versions, and it seems simply loading the new firmware does not take you to Cignus, etc. I’ve read all the posts / threads. Most of it loses me quickly. Once again, I don’t care about any current settings getting overwritten. I just want it all updated globally and not touch blocks / presets / settings one by one. Thoughts? Thanks.

So for a noob, this is incredibly confusing. I got an FM3 before 4.0 / 4.01. Life got in the way and I’ve barely used it. I want to upgrade it so every amp / block / preset I might select is the latest and greatest now. I’m reading about soft resets vs hard resets vs global etc etc etc. I just want everything on the latest versions, and it seems simply loading the new firmware does not take you to Cignus, etc. I’ve read all the posts / threads. Most of it loses me quickly. Once again, I don’t care about any current settings getting overwritten. I just want it all updated globally and not touch blocks / presets / settings one by one. Thoughts? Thanks.
Loading the firmware does upgrade you to Cygnus. You can optionally choose to soft reset amp blocks to get new default values. You can optionally load new factory presets if you want updated factory presets.

Update to the latest firmware. Download the updated factory presets and load them into the unit. Done.

Loading the firmware does upgrade you to Cygnus. You can optionally choose to soft reset amp blocks to get new default values. You can optionally load new factory presets if you want updated factory presets.
But how do I automatically have all the new default values / algorithms for everything - new patches I create, presets I’ve already made, factory presets? What I don’t want is to pull up one factory preset and have it be all the new stuff, then pull up a custom preset and then have to manually do something to also have that preset / scene upgraded. I just want all new upgrades for anything I touch in the unit. Is there a way?

Update to the latest firmware. Download the updated factory presets and load them into the unit. Done.
But under this scenario, don’t I also have to manually perform block resets to update any custom presets I already made? I just want everything to be upgraded.

But under this scenario, don’t I also have to manually perform block resets to update any custom presets I already made? I just want everything to be upgraded.
If you have your own presets then it's advisable to reset the Amp block... And maybe Drive blocks.

The Fractal team went through all the factory presets to dial them in for Cygnus for you, so install the latest factory presets.

Any presets you created will need to be tweaked, but that's an easy process if you're the average user.

If you make minor adjustments to a model then it's a minor change. If you make a lot of adjustments, then you might want to do a soft reset. If you tweaked it all to h-e-double-toothpicks, then you might want to do a hard reset on the block and start readjusting that block.

I worked my way through the beta cycle and was incrementally tweaking my own presets, but, once we got the final release, I reloaded my saved presets from before the beta, and did soft resets, then tweaked, and was really surprised how many sounded amazing and how little work they needed to conform to my idea of their perfection.

Just loaded the latest FW...to my big surprise all my presets kept running even at 86pct and I even an run the reverb at normal level. Looking forward to dive into the new delay features.

Did you try the following?

• Added “Presets” Utilities page to upgrade Presets stored in flash to the currently installed firmware version. When executed, all presets stored in flash with an older version of the firmware will be upgraded to the currently installed firmware version and automatically re-saved to flash. This process can take up to 20 minutes but will speed up preset changes. NOTE: backup your presets before using this utility.
This solved a slow preset switching issue for me after I upgraded.

Blackmore - Can you explain how you did this? How you got there? I read your post and went into FM3-Edit and couldn't find Preset Utilities Page. Is it "Upgrade all Presets" on there FM3 itself? (Set-up > Utilities > Preset > Upgrade all Presets)

Trying to understand what you meant by this and where it is located. Let me know if I have it correct. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom