FM3 Firmware Version 4.00

@BryantP
Just a moment ago my fan started sounding loud like having something stuck on it and making a laser beam sound... I guess this was reported on beta 3 or 4, I had experienced this only once during beta 1. Through all other betas this never happened again... Until now.
I've had my FM3 on for like 8 continues hours today... Don't know if that could be what caused it but I thought I should let you know.

Thanks

Ok... perhaps it's me but I might have come across a (very) small glitch. Appears to be on FM3 Edit... 1.05 and the last beta one.

Small issue with using the mouse tracking wheel on the level control in the amp block. If I use it to bring the level all the way down and back to the original setting, it's too soft. If I bring it all the way up and then back to original setting, it's too loud.

Retyping the original value corrects it. Seems somehow FM3 edit gets misaligned doing large jumps like that. Not sure how I stumbled onto that... and doesn't affect regular use of that parameter.

Gates are off and compressors are off.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I need some help.

Even with the speaker compression on 10 and time constant on 100ms the gain reduction is less than 2dbs. I'm using non master volume amps.

Manual says that default is around 3dbs gain reduction (speaker compression 1 and time 2000ms). If I keep it default the GR is less than 0.5db.

Before Cygnus I could reach more than 3db GR easily.

What am I missing here?

Thanks FAS team for the great Cygnus update!

I see some having issues, sorry to see that for those individuals..... but,

There is some Fractal Cygnus Goodness happening here! Totally Stoked, and it is dreamy.
- found an issue with my Tweed Deluxe preset, adjusted the IR's and Viola! Exactly how it should be.

I love that the feedback I am getting when holding out long notes is so much more "tube amp like" it is uncanny!

Great job everyone, Fractal Team, Beta Testers and Forum Members! Looking forward to playing a show tomorrow!!

I need some help.

Even with the speaker compression on 10 and time constant on 100ms the gain reduction is less than 2dbs. I'm using non master volume amps.

Manual says that default is around 3dbs gain reduction (speaker compression 1 and time 2000ms). If I keep it default the GR is less than 0.5db.

Before Cygnus I could reach more than 3db GR easily.

What am I missing here?

Thanks FAS team for the great Cygnus update!
Increase the input trim a bit???

Sean Meredith-Jones

I will test, hoping not to have the sound cut as with the beta versions
I started tweaking my patches with firmware 4.0, doing comparative listening between Friedman HBE 2010 and the HBE C45. I see freeze with Friedman HBE C45. other have people noticed this problem ? does not give too much confidence in the stability of firmware 4.0

Yes no problems here and loving Cygnus. In fact I’ve never had a problem with my FM3 since I received it last July. Maybe it’s my KISS principle or dumb luck. Sorry to hear others are having issues.

1st gig completed with 4.0 . I've only used Friedman BE for dirty and Shiva Clean for clean. It sounds great but there's something not right with the sustain compared to the past 7 years using FAS.
Noise gate threshold at .65 and Ratio at 2.0 as always. Felt like my guitar volume wasn't at max , the Friedman input gain went from 5.50 to 7.0 to get the saturation. Tone sounds gritty with a treble enhancer on the single notes.
Cabs used by OH GNR M25/M75 pack. Same cab mix as the last few years. Anyone?
The fullness felt and sounded a little lost in the mix as with previous firmware, seems like beta 1 or 2 was very full according to some gigs a few weeks ago.
Weird.
As far as functionality, everything worked as it's supposed to.
Thanks FAS for making life easier on stage and studio.

Last edited:
New firmware works fine thank you FAS 🙂 No issues, just pure amp modeling magic, it sounds and feels just right 😎 I just had to turn of bright switch of on JTM 45 and Vibroking preset as it was a bit too much high end with my maple neck Telecaster but the amp modeling is soooo good that it feels like having purchased a new modeling unit 🙂 Greetings from Germany

I guess that many users who have issues with the new firmware tweaked their presets too much so that it was in way "unhealthy" and extreme. Factory presets and Austin Buddy Goldpack Banks 1 and 2 sound great so I recommend to use them as a starting point to create new presets to your liking. Cygnus is a whole new ballpark and as FAS made the work to create it without asking for any additional money you should work to have great presets, too 🤗
It was often written that Cygnus is completely different so that individual presets may behave not as expected.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot FAS team - Amazing new fimware and incredible integration of the users in the beta testing. That´s rare in the industry.

So I chose to sit the beta test out as I had only just purchased the unit recently. I updated my firmware yesterday from 3.02 to 4. and then installed all the new banks. Only now everything seems broken. The sound is very thin, harsh, and crackling. Often there is no sound at all. As im describing it it sounds like a short, but its not. I have to turn output 1 knob up to like 8/9 before I can barely hear anything, and its super garbled and horrible sounding. My input levels look fine. What happened? I'm simply going: guitar --> fm3 --> studio monitors via xlr. My headphones respond the same way.
I had this issue yesterday, as I was going back from 4.00 to 3.02 to check something (had a problem with my stand-in switches).
Presets saved at 4.00 sounded like garbage, but that’s okay, since I think they are only maintaining the update path (also, that’s why you should have backups :D ).

Anyway, I would recommend to reset the system parameters (don‘t forget to save your layouts beforehand), since there were some changes making it necessary.
If that does not work, I would kick out the amp block and see if the problem persists. If so, it’s not the amp ;)
Then adding the block again and perform a reset of one channel (you can do that on the unit in the amp-block edit view; you have to push button A; not sure if it’s only available on the „amp select“-page).
If that doesn’t work out, feel free to post the preset, so others could take a look. :)

I've had mine for a week, and installed each beta as they came. Now on the official version. I didn't have any problems along the way, and spent the time learning the unit. Now that I have all of that out of the way I can go to town.
And that's why it's strange. It's great that it's working for you, there are certainly users that haven't had a single issue, but if you follow the threads from the betas you can see that there are indeed others that do have some problems. I'm sure they have been working hard to solve them all.

As I have stated before I'm really happy with the sounds (3.02 and Cygnus beta) but yeah I'll wait just a little bit, no rush.

I guess that many users who have issues with the new firmware tweaked their presets too much so that it was in way "unhealthy" and extreme. Factory presets and Austin Buddy Goldpack Banks 1 and 2 sound great so I recommend to use them as a starting point to create new presets to your liking. Cygnus is a whole new ballpark and as FAS made the work to create it without any additional money you should work to have great presets, again 🤗
It was often written that Cygnus is completely different so that individual presets may behave not as expected.

In 3.0.2, i really spent weeks after weeks to build my main amp tones.
With Cygnus, this process was done in no time - freaky as hell :D

I put aside some time and updated, no issues at all now , at first I had a problem recording through USB but I see they have included in the I/O menu the USB Buffer Size parameter, I adjusted that and it's working great now. Sounds fantastic!

Great job, looking forward to trying all the new presets.

From an FM3 owner who was overwhelmed and over the moon with the FM3 at v1.03 to where the FM3 is now with virtually all blocks and same modelling as the flagship AxeFx III is an achievement I certainly didn't see coming when I first decided to purchase an FM3.
All I can say is thank you to FAS and all the beta testers who invested so much time and effort getting this product to where it is now ❤️

Back
Top Bottom