FM3 Firmware Version 4.00

I'm finding with version 4.0 that my amp sounds have more gain and overall it seems like I'm clipping. Is there a setting or somewhere I can check to see what is going on?

Also it seems like some of my presets are darker sounding/muddy now. Not sure what is happening.
Same issue, fizzy gain, muddy lows and less sustain over all. Can't correct it easily with tweaking parameters. Sounds like some digital artifacting going on, less natural than before. Running out OUTPUT 1 @ -10dbV into passive mixing board to powered desktop near reference monitors.

I reset everything, FM3 Edit, Firmware and new presets. I had the "fm3_dsp_rel_4p00_beta_1" & "FM3-Edit-OSX-v1p04p00" loaded prior and everything sounded great! I'm wondering if the FM3 Edit 4.00 is causing the issue as it's drastically different than the beta. I'll try reverting back to the 4.00 Beta.

Same issue, fizzy gain, muddy lows and less sustain over all. Can't correct it easily with tweaking parameters. Sounds like some digital artifacting going on, less natural than before. Running out OUTPUT 1 @ -10dbV into passive mixing board to powered desktop near reference monitors.
I've got to say that I agree with this. I've never had any issues with previous FW updates but I updated last night and after tweaking for most of the morning none of my main presets sounded as good as before on FW v3.02, even after soft resets. My main, daily Dumble preset sounded exactly as you described and was certainly less touch sensitive. I've since now gone back to FW v3.02 and I'm a very happy camper again. The difference is night and day for me. If I was happy to start from scratch it would probably be fine but I've got a couple of patches in particular that are just perfect for what I need.

That's why it's always a good idea to have full, regular backups!

First of all -- thank you for the great Cygnus update! I've been throwing likes all over comments on this thread.

Second, the "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE" control is missing from the FM3-Edit software.

I looked for "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE" in the new FM3-Edit app and was unable to find it on the "Power Amp" page -- or any page in either the Amp block or the Cab block. However, I could still access "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE," on the "Power Amp" page -- from the front panel of the FM3 unit itself.
I am running the latest 4.00 non-beta firmware. And, I am also using the latest 1.05.00 version of FM3-Edit. I have also loaded all the latest 4p0 factory presets. I have also done the FW refresh. I didn't see anything in the firmware release notes regarding "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE." So, I thought it was worthwhile to mention this. However, I am still new here. So, I am not sure if i am bringing this up in the right way, or in the proper thread.

Once again, thank you for a remarkable firmware update.

First of all -- thank you for the great Cygnus update! I've been throwing likes all over comments on this thread.

Second, the "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE" control is missing from the FM3-Edit software.

I looked for "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE" in the new FM3-Edit app and was unable to find it on the "Power Amp" page -- or any page in either the Amp block or the Cab block. However, I could still access "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE," on the "Power Amp" page -- from the front panel of the FM3 unit itself.
I am running the latest 4.00 non-beta firmware. And, I am also using the latest 1.05.00 version of FM3-Edit. I have also loaded all the latest 4p0 factory presets. I have also done the FW refresh. I didn't see anything in the firmware release notes regarding "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE." So, I thought it was worthwhile to mention this. However, I am still new here. So, I am not sure if i am bringing this up in the right way, or in the proper thread.

Once again, thank you for a remarkable firmware update.
Just look into speaker page. It's all now nicely together, as you tweak those params together anyways.

Just look into speaker page. It's all now nicely together, as you tweak those params together anyways.
I did check the "Speaker" page, and every other page on the Amp block and the Cab block. I did see that they had moved and grouped several of the speaker params on the speaker page. However, "Speaker Impedance" is not in that new grouping of params. That is referring to the latest 1.05.00 FM3-Edit application. And yet, "Speaker Impedance" is still on the "Power Amp" page in the latest 4.00 firmware -- when accessed by the controls on the front panel of the FM3 hardware unit itself. I do appreciate your concern though.

So far I've made it to preset 027, the 5153
comparing scene 4, Blue 50W to my 2018 5153 6L6 50 watt....

uhhm yea,
thanks for doing the work for me.
I don't need to tweak a thing in the amp block

who did this preset?
through a pair of original non-neo CLR active wedges at gig volumes.... holy shitballs.
I have the same amp as you and jumped to this preset after reading your post. Yes, holy shitballs indeed.

Same issue, fizzy gain, muddy lows and less sustain over all. Can't correct it easily with tweaking parameters.

While I am sure you have probably already tried lowering the various Bias excursion params. I thought it was still worth a mention. Reducing bias excursion should make the amp less fizzy. With Cygnus, more bias excursion can be used. Previously, on the more recent Cygnus updates for the FXIII, some models didn't receive the correct bias excursion for those particular amp models. It might help if they which amp models gave you trouble.

Well, I just tried out my own advice on the 090 Bludojai preset with the Bludojai Lead. And, I got nowhere -- even after reducing the preamp, PI and power tube bias excursions to zero. I am not sure if my little experiment is meaningful or not.

But, in any case, let Fractal know which amp models you wanted to use and were unable tweak into an acceptable sound. It will help them figure things out sooner. I have to say. My experience with the Bludojai Lead in preset 090 was pretty dismal in comparison to the other amps and presets I have been trying out. All my other experiences have been pretty great. It may be that this is only a problem for a few amp models. But, as always the more details you can tell them the better.

A very real upgrade imo. I've had to tweak some things differently with Cygnus but overall more pleased with the end result. The percussiveness of JCM 800 sim definitely makes a meaningful difference in feel and the way I play. It's one of those things where people could show you a blind test with random switching, and the difference may not be massive or even obvious, depending on the tone, transitions, what is played...

And yet when you play through tone A and tone B.. you know what's up.

After the transition from 4.00 to 5 beta to release , did not hear those pronounced changes in the previously tuned tone, in contrast to the transition from ares to beta cygnus. Do I understand correctly that resetting the amp block after switching from 4.00 5 beta to the release version is not necessary? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Tubes driven into clipping make a lot of noise. Fizz, crackling, weird harmonics and oscillations. I have built my own amps for years, and the fizz especially used to drive me nuts. One day I could be playing and hardly notice it, and the next it seemed that was all I could hear. There are ways to reduce the fizz, mostly by dumping high end in some areas and low in others. All of these can be seen by studying amp designs. But all those artifacts are still there, merely attenuated or masked to a degree. In my opinion the Cygnus engine is pretty accurate as far as these effects go. And that's not always a good thing, but mostly it is. I had to rework all of my presets and most I'm happy with now but some amps I used to like I don't like anymore. The Cygnus models tube guitar amps in a very realistic way, and it may take some getting used to. It's not spit shined and polished, it's a very close representation of actual tube amps.

Was there changes sound wise from beta 1 to beta 5 and again in 4.00 final ?
i really liked the tones in beta 1 installed 4 beta 5 and things got very blanket over the speaker and the feel changed and almost seemed too soft .
i am wondering if it was the bias excursion , perhaps there were errors .
just curious will install later

Back
Top Bottom