FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

First 10 minutes opinion:

The sound signature really has changed, it’s now focused on more pleasing frequencies, no more of that “Shit Shit” that made playing songs like Crazy Train and Bark at The Moon a “shitty” mess.

The notes are more focused and round, I can play better as the notes are more defined.

Cygnus is really not one of that pedestrian updates, I could immediately notice the change.

For me it was a long wait, millions of F5 pressing, but it worth every second.

I've got lower-than-used-to-be OUT2 volume as well

OUT2 set to copy OUT1
OUT2 set to sum L+R
OUT1 set to stereo
no OUT2 pad (makes no difference since it's set to copy)
OUT1 pad set to +4db
phase normal
cabling: 1/4-to-XLR going from OUT2 (L) into an FRFR (will test with another cable as soon as I've got a few minutes)

BUT... the weird thing here is that if I pull the cable partway out of OUT2, it bumps back up to full volume (although is pretty unstable and prone to popping out)

EDIT: Ran a system parameter reset. set out2 to copy out1 again, no change.

(also WOW it sounds great - thanks Team Fractal!)

Don't pull the cable halfway out like that. You're exploiting the humbuster jack function and I'm not sure it's a good idea.
We are aware of the Out 2 level issue and are already working on a fix.

Don't pull the cable halfway out like that. You're exploiting the humbuster jack function and I'm not sure it's a good idea.
We are aware of the Out 2 level issue and are already working on a fix.

Yeah, I was a little worried about it too. Pushed back in and I’ll behave. Thank you for the quick reply!

OKAY! I'm so so stupid. I forgot that my Musicman Valentine has a boost pot and has a battery in the back. The battery went completely dead. Grabbed my other MusicMan Axis and everything is fine. SMH. I need a beer!
I've done that a couple times with a Luke III I used to have. You trouble-shoot "everything" ........then realize what it actually is and feel about 2 inches tall. Uuuuuugh. I feel your pain. Lol.

The new Cygnus firmware sounds totally awesome on the FM3!!!

Have A/B'd multiple LiveGold presets (Bank 1, Marshall styles) to the identical Cygnus firmware 16.x on my Axe- Fx III, and the presets virtually sound the same!!! Wow!

My FM3 and an FC-6 will be going to future gigs instead of my Axe-Fx III now! Hat's off/great job to the Cliff and the Fractal engineers porting this Axe-Fx III Cygnus firmware over to the FM3, well done team Fractal!

Thanks FAS! I am enjoying playing with Cygnus! I can't make much of a comparison because I'm traveling and away from my studio monitors, so everything sounds different.

I had a bug though:
Unit not connected to PC
after a few minutes of using the foot switches to go through different presets, and editing some blocks I had the right scribble strip go blank. Everything still works, but it's blank.

I had the pedal compressor 2 on a preset basically cut out the sound when I played hard. I changed the compressor type and it was fine

I had an amp (non refreshed USA clean) that was super loud compared to the rest of the scenes and caused the output to clip

Thanks!

The new Cygnus firmware sounds totally awesome on the FM3!!!

Have A/B'd multiple LiveGold presets (Bank 1, Marshall styles) to the identical Cygnus firmware 16.x on my Axe- Fx III, and the presets virtually sound the same!!! Wow!

My FM3 and an FC-6 will be going to future gigs instead of my Axe-Fx III now! Hat's off/great job to the Cliff and the Fractal engineers porting this Axe-Fx III Cygnus firmware over to the FM3, well done team Fractal!
Did you have to reset your amp blocks once you downloaded with your pack? I didn’t and they sound amazing, just wondering if you suggest us doing that?

after a few minutes of using the foot switches to go through different presets, and editing some blocks I had the right scribble strip go blank. Everything still works, but it's blank.
is this a Default Layout? or did you make it? any more clues as to when it went blank can help. i haven't experienced this yet.

I had the pedal compressor 2 on a preset basically cut out the sound when I played hard. I changed the compressor type and it was fine
this may just be how that compressor works. i'll take a look.

I had an amp (non refreshed USA clean) that was super loud compared to the rest of the scenes and caused the output to clip
this could definitely just be due to not being adjusted to the new Cygnus parameters. i use USA Clean personally 80% of the time and had no issues with it along the way.

Brit 800#34 issue? There is a crackling noise everytime I use this Amp type. I am a relative noob, but it is so far the only one that doesn't sound right. Can anyone confirm? Using Austin Buddy's new 4.0 Cygnus pack, but even on other presets, as soon as I change to that AMP, crackling.
Thank you, so excited Cygnus has arrived.

Brit 800#34 issue? There is a crackling noise everytime I use this Amp type. I am a relative noob, but it is so far the only one that doesn't sound right. Can anyone confirm? Using Austin Buddy's new 4.0 Cygnus pack, but even on other presets, as soon as I change to that AMP, crackling.
Thank you, so excited Cygnus has arrived.
Crackling almost always means you are clipping. Try turning the volume down in the amp block.

FYI ,from watching the Ax3 threads the 3 things that are going to make major impact , the Bias exc, The Negative feedback
and most important the master volumes , these are very different depending on models , use the headroom meter in axe edit
and for the high gainers or a lot of them , don't be afraid to bring it down

Back
Top Bottom