FM3 Firmware Version 3.02

I loaded 3.02 and noticed a drop in the Out 2 level as well, from where it was in 3.02b and previous firmware. My gig presets all have an Out 2 block in them to go to an FRFR or power amp. I have always put that Out 2 block level at +20 dB in order to get enough level with the physical knob at noon and room to go up if needed. This also matches Out 1 level at +4, both physical out level knobs at noon. I looked at the levels with a meter and the difference between 3.02 and 3.02b is very clear.

@teddis I don't use the Out 1 copy function but I tested it and it does now match Out 1 (when there's no Out 2 block in a preset)

I've gone back to the beta for now since I have a gig (ooh, remember those?) in a few days and need that level where it was.

I don't use a output 2 block , i used the output 2 global eq gain at +12.
That's another way to do it... But cranking up the level in the Out 2 block will also match the Out 1 level internally. You can see it on the meters in the Preset leveling tool. But even then, what comes out of the physical output into another device is actually quieter now than it was before at the same settings.

Hi @BryantP - First, thank you for the tireless work you all do. Second, here's my issue...

This is my primary preset for daily use. I know it's a bit CPU-heavy but ran without issue at the top of the threshold on previous fw. On 3.02 it flips the warning and won't emit a peep. Wondering if there's anything you (anyone) might suggest as a way to work with it. For context, I run this patch via the fx loop of a Victory VX100 with Two Notes Captor X handling the IR situation.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 468_Victory Amp Looped.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
I loaded 3.02 and noticed a drop in the Out 2 level as well, from where it was in 3.02b and previous firmware. My gig presets all have an Out 2 block in them to go to an FRFR or power amp. I have always put that Out 2 block level at +20 dB in order to get enough level with the physical knob at noon and room to go up if needed. This also matches Out 1 level at +4, both physical out level knobs at noon. I looked at the levels with a meter and the difference between 3.02 and 3.02b is very clear.

@teddis I don't use the Out 1 copy function but I tested it and it does now match Out 1 (when there's no Out 2 block in a preset)

I've gone back to the beta for now since I have a gig (ooh, remember those?) in a few days and need that level where it was.
Out 2 is meant to be unity level, so it should be easy to test if there's a level drop or not

I dont have a volume drop at out 2 - its set to 0db and all levels are optimized to that (out1 is around -15db) ... works like before 🤔
My output knobs: out 2 full (unity gain) and out 1 around 2-4 o clock

I have an RCF FRFR monitor that I use on stage. I've been using Copy Output 1 to Output 2 since my time with AX8. I can tell there is a drop in signal from past firmwares going to my monitor from Output 2 as done in the past. Now there is a chance I may be doing something incorrectly. In the past I have run both levels from about 2-4 o'clock. Once the signal is set to FOH (usually around 1 o'clock), I leave that. I'm sure I'm not the only one that needs a bit of a bump later in the show and I will bump my Output 2 level a bit for the third set?? MHO I'm open for suggestions on how to run my setup.

Out 2 is at unity gain if set to 100% (full clockwise) ... soooo - sounds reasonable if your out 2 level is dropped because your volume knob is at 2-3 o clock? ...

I have an RCF FRFR monitor that I use on stage. I've been using Copy Output 1 to Output 2 since my time with AX8. I can tell there is a drop in signal from past firmwares going to my monitor from Output 2 as done in the past. Now there is a chance I may be doing something incorrectly. In the past I have run both levels from about 2-4 o'clock. Once the signal is set to FOH (usually around 1 o'clock), I leave that. I'm sure I'm not the only one that needs a bit of a bump later in the show and I will bump my Output 2 level a bit for the third set?? MHO I'm open for suggestions on how to run my setup.

EXACT, same setup amd scenario here !

Not here to argue. I am not a Fractal expert.

My RCF NX 12-SMA use to be screaming. I now seem to be pushing it harder to get the same levels. Then again, I could be imagining it? It is gigable and life will be fine. I'm a happy Fractal camper for sure!

Why not just run both Out1/2 knobs at 100% and adjust levels via blocks? I leave both on 100% and never have any issue and this way I never have to worry about the physical knobs getting bumped/changed by accident.

Why not just run both Out1/2 knobs at 100% and adjust levels via blocks? I leave both on 100% and never have any issue and this way I never have to worry about the physical knobs getting bumped/changed by accident.
Not sure you understand my situation. I don't want to adjust blocks in the middle of a gig.

It is working fine as before, just thought I detected a bit a drop in the level of Output 2 the way I used it before. Plain and simple.
Life is good and Ill be fine.

Again - out 2 is at unity gain at 100% so maybe the volume before was not really quite right?
Manual page 5: "Output 2 is designed so that turning the OUT 2 knob all the way up produces a unity gain signal."
So i would say - just increase the out 2 knob and everything is fine? ..
Like i mentioned, i don't have a drop because i always play with out 2 at 100% ...

Awesome, thanks!
Oh man, the LiveGold pack, on 3.02?! Can't imagine. It's already a great pack...oh my...
FM3 Firmware Version 3.02 is now available for download:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/3p0/fm3_dsp_rel_3p02.zip

A new version of FM3-Edit is required for this release: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-03-02.170930/

NOTE: This release contains exciting new features and fixes, but does NOT include CYGNUS amp modeling, which will be delivered in a future FM3 update.

Release Notes:
• Added Per-Preset and Global Performance Pages. These provide a new means of intuitive hands-on control of FM3 sound parameters with no menu delving required. (A PDF overview is included with the zip file containing this firmware release.)
• Added “Downtune” and “Display Mode” parameters to the Tuner, and added the option “All” to Tuner Input Source so it can track both input 1 and/or input 2.
• Added Setup: Global: Config “Output 1 EQ Type” and “Output 2 EQ Type” options for graphic or parametric, including the option to turn each EQ off.
• Added “Footswitch Tuner Mode” (Setup: FC Controllers: Config) which uses the onboard LED rings on the FM3 to help you tune visually.
• Added “Detector Type” (RMS or Peak) to the downward expander effect (Gate Block).
• Added Diffusion Amount and Time parameters to Crystal Echoes effect (Pitch block).
• Added Multitap Master Chorus rate and depth parameters.
• Added LFO High Cut parameter and markers to ADSR graphs.
• External Controller “Initial Values” can now be set to any value from 0 to 100%.
• Improved the rate of communication with a connected FC controller (especially FC-12).
• Improved how the FM3 remains connected to FM3-Edit after certain USB “sleep” activity.
• The UI is now more responsive when a high CPU preset is loaded.
• FC: Preset/Select in Bank switches will now flash after a bank change until you make a selection. This will not happen if your Bank switch is set to automatically load the FIRST or CURRENT preset in the new bank.
• FC: You can now install the “OMG9” FC settings directly from the SETUP: FC Controllers: Reset page of the FM3, with no download required. The OMG9 Owner’s Manual can be found at: http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM3/FM3-OMG9-Manual.pdf
• FC Added: “2nd Press = Previous Scene” option to the Scene/Select function. When set to “ON” this allows you to press the footswitch for the current scene to return to the previous one.
• Fixed: Overlapping text when “Prompt on Edited Preset Change” is enabled.
• Fixed: Global Input and Output volumes now initialize correctly when an expression pedal is used. (These parameters are located on the “Setup: MIDI/Remote: Other” page.)
• Fixed: UI now updates when you disable Tuner “Use Offsets” in FM3-Edit while tuning.
• Fixed: “COPY SCENE” and “SWAP SCENE” now correctly copy or swap scene data in the Scene MIDI block and Control Switch “Per Scene” settings.
• Fixed zippering that occurred in some circumstances when using an external MIDI modifier.
• Fixed: Setting “Output 2 Copy” to anything other than “NONE” no longer overwrites the regular OUT2 signal.
• Fixed: Auto-engage now works consistently with modifiers on the amp and delay blocks.
• FC Fixed: the main LCD on a remote FC should now update correctly in all circumstances.
• Fixed: Activating the tuner with “hold” on a TEMPO switch will no longer affect the tempo.
• Fixed: the MIDI block UI now consistently displays the current scene.
• Fixed: Multiband Compressor now works as expected.
• Fixed: Global parameters under Midi/Remote now reset correctly to default values.
• Fixed: User Cab should no longer be able to accidentally overwrite Factory Cab 1.
• Fixed: Metronome OUT2 level should be correct in all cases.
Any news with horizon precision drive pedal?

If you are using Out2 to an FRFR or Poweramp - it should be up full - it says this in the manual....simple....

Why are people complaining about things not being right when they are not running stuff as it’s designed to be...

Any FRFR, Poweramp etc needs Unity Gain to run at full potential.

Unity gain by defautl is ok, We have -4db level as default. But if I change +10db level, I expect LINE level from out2, not guitar level (unity gain).
Previous firmware work well in the bank. Now I have to threat signal as mic/instrument, using external preamp gain (I use fm3 multiband & fx also for mastering).

If you are using Out2 to an FRFR or Poweramp - it should be up full - it says this in the manual....simple....

Why are people complaining about things not being right when they are not running stuff as it’s designed to be...

Any FRFR, Poweramp etc needs Unity Gain to run at full potential.

Not trying to be argumentative, I promise. I agree with you about running Out2 at Unity Gain - I have an older FM3 with no headphone jack and I use OUT2 to run out to headphones (using an OUT2 block in all my presets, Copy set to None, and running the knob all the way up). I use OUT1 to run to my Friedman ASM-12 via XLR, though, with the knob set around 1:30-2 o'clock (and send level set at +4dBu), and I'm wondering about the unity gain factor there. Just curious. This is me trying to learn, here, not pick a fight. :)

P.S. The main reason I go this route re: OUT2 is that I use AustinBuddy's Live Gold pack for just about everything, and all his patches are set up with an OUT2 block, so I do things this way. I also use other non-Live Gold patches, which I modify to include an OUT2 block so that "everybody plays nice in the sandbox" when I use my headphones. I learned this lesson the hard way after I damn near took my ears off with those non-Live Gold patches (before adding the OUT2 block) when I used to use Copy OUT1 to OUT2. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom