FM3 Firmware Version 3.02 Beta 1

I’m running the beta firmware and wanted to try using different power tubes in the Marshall 2204 preset. I couldn’t hear any audible difference as I clicked through the different tube options. Is it just that subtle or not working correctly?

I’m running the beta firmware and wanted to try using different power tubes in the Marshall 2204 preset. I couldn’t hear any audible difference as I clicked through the different tube options. Is it just that subtle or not working correctly?
this is a good amount to read, but explains why there is no tone change. it's suggested to instead use Transformer Match and Speaker Impedance parameters for different tube sounds, or increasing or decreasing the LF and HF resonance values.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_block#POWER_TUBE_TYPE

Suggestion/complaint 😬 :

I am used to hitting the PAGE >> button once to get to the Presets page and then navigate around to select presets. This is a similar spacial/visualization headspace reference to the layout of the FM3-Edit which I spend a lot of time using. This makes using the < NAV > buttons or the VALUE wheel far less viable as a preset navigation tool when one has the visual layout of the FM3-Edit in their head.

With this beta I now have to press the PAGE >> button three times to get to the Presets page. This impedes quick navigation and makes searching for presets tedious.

I am not one to complain and not offer solutions, so here are some:
  • Place the Presets page after the Meters page so one can simply hold down the PAGE >> button to get to the end, restoring the one button press quick navigation into the Presets page, albeit a held press.
  • Allow the use of wraparound so one could use the << PAGE button to go back two presses instead of three to get to the Presets page. This would also allow faster navigation to the Meters page and any pages future updates may bring
  • Combining both solutions above. This would allow faster navigation to the Meters page and any pages future updates may bring, and if the Presets page is at the end one would only have to press the << PAGE button once to get there, restoring the one button press quick navigation into the Presets page.
Thank you for your consideration, and thank you for the constant updates.

Cheers!

this is a good amount to read, but explains why there is no tone change. it's suggested to instead use Transformer Match and Speaker Impedance parameters for different tube sounds, or increasing or decreasing the LF and HF resonance values.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_block#POWER_TUBE_TYPE
Thank you. A little above my head though, lol. In a practical situation, let’s say I want to change from EL-34 tubes to KT-88’s. How would I begin to know where to set the LF and HD resonance values to achieve the sound a real tube amp would have with a tube swap?

I noticed the following problem three times in this beta: FM3 started to change presets all of a sudden on its own. The phenomenon comes by itself, during normal play, I didn't press anything on FM3 or in FM3-Edit. I do not know what triggers them, it starts spontaneously, lasts a few or a dozen seconds (maybe 10-15 seconds maximum), so short that I did not always have the opportunity to start recording on my smartphone (it surprised me the first time). After these preset jumps, he stays on the last one he draws and continues to work stably.
Three times (once on Saturday, twice yesterday), always with FM3-Edit attached. Without FM3-Edit, I have not noticed this problem so far

Here is the end of the last case (I tried to record as early as possible, but I still lost a few seconds, because I had to stop playing, tap the phone and start recording)

I noticed the following problem three times in this beta: FM3 started to change presets all of a sudden on its own. The phenomenon comes by itself, during normal play, I didn't press anything on FM3 or in FM3-Edit. I do not know what triggers them, it starts spontaneously, lasts a few or a dozen seconds (maybe 10-15 seconds maximum), so short that I did not always have the opportunity to start recording on my smartphone (it surprised me the first time). After these preset jumps, he stays on the last one he draws and continues to work stably.
Three times (once on Saturday, twice yesterday), always with FM3-Edit attached. Without FM3-Edit, I have not noticed this problem so far

Here is the end of the last case (I tried to record as early as possible, but I still lost a few seconds, because I had to stop playing, tap the phone and start recording)

do you have any program open that uses MIDI like a DAW?

do you have any program open that uses MIDI like a DAW?
No, nothing. FM3 is connect to PC via USB, on PC ther was opened only FM3-Edit (and Firefox, but its not importand i hope ;D).

Thank you. A little above my head though, lol. In a practical situation, let’s say I want to change from EL-34 tubes to KT-88’s. How would I begin to know where to set the LF and HD resonance values to achieve the sound a real tube amp would have with a tube swap?
Go to speaker page, increase the low resonance (ex. 5.25 -> 8), change tubes and see the reaction to that change (it's going to be subtle). Now the second thing to do is to increase the master volume, so you're getting power amp distortion, then change the tubes. Don't expect any a change night & day! There is just too much hype, but the difference is not thaaaaat big. Just similar to the preamp tubes brand difference. A 12ax7 is a 12ax7. If the tubes are ok, not worn out, 99% of the people are not gonna notice which brand you are using.

This h

This happen to me on a AX8 firmware update while connected to editor. I reloaded the firmware again and it fixed the issue.

I am used to hitting the PAGE >> button once to get to the Presets page and then navigate around to select presets. This is a similar spacial/visualization headspace reference to the layout of the FM3-Edit which I spend a lot of time using. This makes using the < NAV > buttons or the VALUE wheel far less viable as a preset navigation tool when one has the visual layout of the FM3-Edit in their head.
Sorry but the FM3 is catching up to the Axe-Fx III in this regard and will not be changed. The fact that they are intended for quick access gives the performance control pages priority here.

The bias excursions on all (preamp, power amp, PI) are set to 100% in the Cygnus Beta of the AXE FX-III. But this very same model in the FM3 still has the old values, despite resetting the block and even the whole FM3. A bug maybe? According to the FM3 beta release notes, it should be at 100%, but isn't.

P.S: Screenshots taken from the latest video of a guy with a green PRS :D (thx for the content @2112)

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 15.18.56.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 15.19.05.png

The bias excursions on all (preamp, power amp, PI) are set to 100% in the Cygnus Beta of the AXE FX-III. But this very same model in the FM3 still has the old values, despite resetting the block and even the whole FM3. A bug maybe? According to the FM3 beta release notes, it should be at 100%, but isn't.

P.S: Screenshots taken from the latest video of a guy with a green PRS :D (thx for the content @2112)
Thanks @milan.pohancenik . This is currently being worked on

No, nothing. FM3 is connect to PC via USB, on PC ther was opened only FM3-Edit (and Firefox, but its not importand i hope ;D).
If you play without the USB connected, does the random preset switching still occur?

Back
Top Bottom