FM3 Firmware Version 3.02 Beta 1

BryantP

Administrator
FM3 firmware version 3.02 beta 1 can be found here:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/3p0/fm3_dsp_rel_3p02_beta_1.zip

NOTE: This release contains exciting new features as well as fixes, but does NOT include CYGNUS amp modeling, which will follow in a future FM3 update.

There is a new FM3-Edit for this version: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-03-00-supports-fw-3-02-public-beta.170221/

Release Notes:
  • Added Per-Preset and Global Performance Pages. (A PDF overview will be included with public release of this FW)
  • Added “Downtune” and “Display Mode” parameters to the Tuner, and added the option “All” to Tuner Input Source so it can track both input 1 and/or input 2.
  • Added Setup: Global: Config “Output 1 EQ Type” and “Output 2 EQ Type” options for graphic or parametric.
  • Added “Footswitch Tuner Mode” (Setup: FC Controllers: Config) which uses the onboard LED rings to help you tune visually.
  • Added “Detector Type” (RMS or Peak) to the downward expander effect (Gate Block).
  • Added Diffusion amount and Time parameters to Crystal Echoes effect (Pitch type).
  • FC Added: “2nd Press = Previous Scene” option the Scene/Select function. When set to “ON” this allows you to press the footswitch for the current scene again to return to the previous scene.
  • External Controller “Initial Values” can now be set to any value from 0 to 100%.
  • Improved Bias Excursion algorithms. Bias Excursion values now default to 100%. Existing presets are automatically updated.
  • Improved the rate of communication with a connected FC controller (especially FC-12).
  • Improved how the FM3 remains connected to FM3-Edit after certain USB “sleep” activity.
  • The UI is now more responsive when a high CPU preset is loaded.
  • FC: Preset/Select in Bank switches will now flash after a bank change while they wait for you to make a selection. This will not happen if your Bank switch is set to automatically load the FIRST or CURRENT preset in the new bank.
  • Fixed: Overlapping text when “Prompt on Edited Preset Change” is enabled.
  • Fixed: Global Input and Output volumes now initialize correctly when an expression pedal is used. (These parameters are located on the “Setup: MIDI/Remote: Other” page.)
  • Fixed: UI now updates when you disable Tuner “Use Offsets” in FM3-Edit while tuning.
  • Fixed: “COPY SCENE” and “SWAP SCENE” now correctly copy or swap scene data in the Scene MIDI block and Control Switch “Per Scene” settings.
  • Fixed zippering that occurred in some circumstances when using an external MIDI modifier.
  • Fixed: Setting “Output 2 Copy” to anything other than “NONE” no longer overwrites the regular OUT2 signal.
  • Fixed: Auto-engage now works consistently with modifiers on the amp and delay blocks.
  • FC Fixed: the main LCD on a remote FC should now update correctly in all circumstances.
  • Fixed: Activating the tuner with “hold” on a TEMPO switch will no longer affect the tempo.
  • FC: You can now install the “OMG9” FC settings directly from the SETUP: FC Controllers: Reset page of the FM3, with no download required. The OMG9 Owner’s Manual can be found at: http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM3/FM3-OMG9-Manual.pdf
  • Fixed: the MIDI block UI now consistently displays the current scene.
  • Fixed: Multiband Compressor – various fixes: the block should now work as expected.

Last edited:
Bryant and the whole team did such a great job with this update!

definitely check out the "2nd Press = Previous Scene" - many asked for that one and we have it!

Footswitch Tuner Mode changes the 3 on-board displays to show Flat, Tune, and Sharp indication when tuning.

i think Scene Changes with Amp Channel changes are faster too.

this is a great update!

be sure to install the updated FM3-Edit as well: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-03-00-supports-fw-3-02-public-beta.170221/unread

--
i did an hour livestream discussing the release notes, and made an excerpt video focusing on a few topics:

Last edited:
FC Added: “2nd Press = Previous Scene” option the Scene/Select function. When set to “ON” this allows you to press the footswitch for the current scene again to return to the previous scene

Hopefully we see this for the Axe Fx III... I have a long-standing wish for "toggle last scene", so very cool.

Exciting times for the FM3 folks!

Very nice update. The Performance Controls looks like something that can be really useful and something that's going to take a little while to explore how to setup the best.

One feature request though that would be super useful for me would be to add "External Controller initial value" as an option on the Performance control page. I use a variable lead boost with an external mini expression knob that selects a value between 0-8dB of boost (the value at noon is 4dB which is usually about right for me, and I use a value of 0 at home). Instead, I could use an unused External Controller to set this lead boost value now when we can set values other than 0 or 100% (thank you very much) and if that could be added to the Performance control page that would then be a global control for a lead boost which is exactly what I want.

Other use cases similar to this would be a global reverb and delay mix, again attached to an unused external controller and then added to the Performance Control page to be able to globally adjust reverb and delay mix.

One feature request though that would be super useful for me would be to add "External Controller initial value" as an option on the Performance control page. I use a variable lead boost with an external mini expression knob that selects a value between 0-8dB of boost (the value at noon is 4dB which is usually about right for me, and I use a value of 0 at home). Instead, I could use an unused External Controller to set this lead boost value now when we can set values other than 0 or 100% (thank you very much) and if that could be added to the Performance control page that would then be a global control for a lead boost which is exactly what I want.

Other use cases similar to this would be a global reverb and delay mix, again attached to an unused external controller and then added to the Performance Control page to be able to globally adjust reverb and delay mix.
hmm, External Controller Initial Value just sets what value is sent to modifiers when no pedal is plugged in. it's not a min/max type thing, so i'm not sure this would do what you're saying, if i'm reading correctly. there may be another way to do what you want here.

as for Global Reverb, almost any parameter you can bring up in Edit, you can drag to the Perform pages. for example i have Global Reverb and Global Effects knobs on there, as well as USB Return Levels:

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 3.29.34 PM.png

so it depends on what is available in Edit, but generally some of that can be done.

hmm, External Controller Initial Value just sets what value is sent to modifiers when no pedal is plugged in. it's not a min/max type thing, so i'm not sure this would do what you're saying, if i'm reading correctly. there may be another way to do what you want here.
Correct, so say I'm not using external controller 16 for anything, starting with this firmware I can set an initial value of say 50% and any modifier that I'm attaching this to will have a value of 50%, across any preset. If I change the initial value to 40%, it will set the value of 40% across any preset that uses external controller 16 for anything. If we could add the initial value for external controller 16 on the Performance Control page, it would allow easy access to this value across any preset.

FM3 firmware version 3.02 beta 1 can be found here:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/3p0/fm3_dsp_rel_3p02_beta_1.zip

NOTE: This release contains exciting new features as well as fixes, but does NOT include CYGNUS amp modeling, which will follow in a future FM3 update.

There is a new FM3-Edit for this version: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-03-00-supports-fw-3-02-public-beta.170221/

Release Notes:
  • Added Per-Preset and Global Performance Pages. (A PDF overview will be included with public release of this FW)
  • Added “Downtune” and “Display Mode” parameters to the Tuner, and added the option “All” to Tuner Input Source so it can track both input 1 and/or input 2.
  • Added Setup: Global: Config “Output 1 EQ Type” and “Output 2 EQ Type” options for graphic or parametric.
  • Added “Footswitch Tuner Mode” (Setup: FC Controllers: Config) which uses the onboard LED rings to help you tune visually.
  • Added “Detector Type” (RMS or Peak) to the downward expander effect (Gate Block).
  • Added Diffusion amount and Time parameters to Crystal Echoes effect (Pitch type).
  • FC Added: “2nd Press = Previous Scene” option the Scene/Select function. When set to “ON” this allows you to press the footswitch for the current scene again to return to the previous scene.
  • External Controller “Initial Values” can now be set to any value from 0 to 100%.
  • Improved Bias Excursion algorithms. Bias Excursion values now default to 100%. Existing presets are automatically updated.
  • Improved the rate of communication with a connected FC controller (especially FC-12).
  • Improved how the FM3 remains connected to FM3-Edit after certain USB “sleep” activity.
  • The UI is now more responsive when a high CPU preset is loaded.
  • FC: Preset/Select in Bank switches will now flash after a bank change while they wait for you to make a selection. This will not happen if your Bank switch is set to automatically load the FIRST or CURRENT preset in the new bank.
  • Fixed: Overlapping text when “Prompt on Edited Preset Change” is enabled.
  • Fixed: Global Input and Output volumes now initialize correctly when an expression pedal is used. (These parameters are located on the “Setup: MIDI/Remote: Other” page.)
  • Fixed: UI now updates when you disable Tuner “Use Offsets” in FM3-Edit while tuning.
  • Fixed: “COPY SCENE” and “SWAP SCENE” now correctly copy or swap scene data in the Scene MIDI block and Control Switch “Per Scene” settings.
  • Fixed zippering that occurred in some circumstances when using an external MIDI modifier.
  • Fixed: Setting “Output 2 Copy” to anything other than “NONE” no longer overwrites the regular OUT2 signal.
  • Fixed: Auto-engage now works consistently with modifiers on the amp and delay blocks.
  • FC Fixed: the main LCD on a remote FC should now update correctly in all circumstances.
  • Fixed: Activating the tuner with “hold” on a TEMPO switch will no longer affect the tempo.
  • FC: You can now install the “OMG9” FC settings directly from the SETUP: FC Controllers: Reset page of the FM3, with no download required. The OMG9 Owner’s Manual can be found at: http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM3/FM3-OMG9-Manual.pdf
  • Fixed: the MIDI block UI now consistently displays the current scene.
  • Fixed: Multiband Compressor – various fixes: the block should now work as expected.
Bryan there must be a little Cygnus in there because it sounds and feels out of this world!

Back
Top Bottom