FM3 Firmware Version 2.00 Public Beta 1

is different from

that's all i was getting at.

To be clear, I should have typed, "Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Based on the post from FAS I'm guessing it won't". I'm generally not a pessimist, but on this one the glass is half empty in my view.

We’ve been given mixed messages from FAS on porting the drive block to the FM3 from the time it was rewritten for the AxeFX III. The initial statement was that it would use too much CPU and push presets over the limit and that the FM3 is not an AxeFX III. That’s a very different message than the hardware can’t run the algorithms. It's nice to have a more realistic statement from FAS that fully reveals the challenges to porting the drive block and I appreciate that.

And that's OK. The Drives as they are sound fantastic! I really love the Tone of Kings model. The FM3 sounds great and there is currently no other floor unit on the market that I would use in it's place.

I'm with @raccoon. I'd rather see improvements to the UI that are specific for a performance based floor unit to take advantage of that large screen.

Today I helped to discover that at least one of these presets contains an "illegal" modifier in the delay block, which explains why it was crashing. This vindicates the beta firmware in my opinion, though it may need to be equipped with guard rails to prevent something like this from happening.

May I ask if you converted or edited these using FracTool or any other 3rd party software? @cnaufel -- answer here or send me a PM.
My presets were getting stuck until I removed my second delay block. It was a block made by @Moke and was supposed to act as a reverb instead of a real reverb block but with less cpu. I think it had a modifier on the diffusion parameter that got removed. Removing the block quickly or resetting it gets rid of the problem.

EDIT: nope, still didn't fix the issue. There's still something else that makes the sound disappear.

Last edited:
As exciting as new stuff is, and especially new stuff that you're told you can't have, my presets are already pretty crammed, so I don't mind the lighter drive block version the FM3 seems to have now. Doubt I'd be able to tell the difference anyway, the way I use drives to just push overdriven amps a bit more.

'Tuner on heel down' though would make my life easier and free up a switch.

As exciting as new stuff is, and especially new stuff that you're told you can't have, my presets are already pretty crammed, so I don't mind the lighter drive block version the FM3 seems to have now. Doubt I'd be able to tell the difference anyway, the way I use drives to just push overdriven amps a bit more.

'Tuner on heel down' though would make my life easier and free up a switch.
Totally agree, dont really need more "stuff" just refinements of whats there, stability, user friendliness etc....performance page, no crashes or bugs, tuner heel down would be great. When I want all the drives form the 3 (no one needs all the drives from the 3), I get a 3. simple.

The initial statement was that it would use too much CPU and push presets over the limit and that the FM3 is not an AxeFX III. That’s a very different message than the hardware can’t run the algorithms.

I'm with @raccoon. I'd rather see improvements to the UI that are specific for a performance based floor unit to take advantage of that large screen.
I interpret it as the hardware can't run the algorithms because the algorithms use too much CPU, but I have been known to be wrong :oops: :)

+1 on improvement to the usability, particularly the performance pages. I would also like to see scene volume increment and decrement as that was a great feature for easily levelling scenes on the fly.

That's not going to happen with this firmware. The algorithms are too intensive to run on the hardware at this time. The FM3 is not an Axe-Fx III and some algorithms may NEVER get ported if the hardware can't support them.
I understand, I was joking. BUT... it would be nice to get the new drives i.e. OCD etc. even if they aren't on the updated algorithms. Possible/probable?

I interpret it as the hardware can't run the algorithms because the algorithms use too much CPU, but I have been known to be wrong :oops: :)

TBH "The algorithms are too intensive to run on the hardware at this time" is pretty clear, not open to any interpretation, IMHO.

The FM3 is more powerful than the AX8, but not as powerful as the Axe-FX II was (is), so it's important to rule out any "hopeful" comparation to what the Axe FX III is capable of... The "at this time" part may be the key, as they're are always finding new ways to improve the CPU usage with the algorithms, but the message is pretty clear.

Now, it would be nice to know if the same situation applies to the Pitch Block overhaul (and it's safe to assume it is, as the pitch shift can be really CPU intensive), just to know beforehand what to expect as the Virtual Capo was the one feature I wanted the most and convinced me to sell the AX8 to get the FM3.

TBH "The algorithms are too intensive to run on the hardware at this time" is pretty clear, not open to any interpretation, IMHO.

The FM3 is more powerful than the AX8, but not as powerful as the Axe-FX II was (is), so it's important to rule out any "hopeful" comparation to what the Axe FX III is capable of... The "at this time" part may be the key, as they're are always finding new ways to improve the CPU usage with the algorithms, but the message is pretty clear.

Now, it would be nice to know if the same situation applies to the Pitch Block overhaul (and it's safe to assume it is, as the pitch shift can be really CPU intensive), just to know beforehand what to expect as the Virtual Capo was the one feature I wanted the most and convinced me to sell the AX8 to get the FM3.

any pitch fx are generally going to be the most Cpu intensive IMO
if the drive block cant go i would not hold my breath for pitch
i think they have spent the last 3 weeks trying to as close as they could
the comment almost at the finish line again to me says we have done all we are able to at this point

i would not be surprised if we sit in beta for a while each one adding new stuff then giving time to test that
i think for the rest of this month they will be trying to get the FM3 as close as they can so then they can keep
up faster
Typically, in every software group I've worked in, the "beta" stage has no additional features added, it's only for ferreting out bugs. "alpha", which is the prior stage is where features get added.

I've injured the 3rd finger on my left hand, I can't play guitar for 2 months, I really want to try the new firmware, 😢😢
I once deeply cut my index, middle and little finger on my left hand, all across the pad, resulting in bandages then healing skin that would catch the strings, and it took a couple months for the slices to close up. I worked on slide guitar because my ring finger was still good.

I don't know... Drive / distortion is pretty CPU intense (at least for some models).

Just for refrence if you look at the Helix their Poly pitch blocks and virtual capo eats about 40% of a cpu compared to 10% or a drive
obviously modelling is different but
to control latency and warbling And tracking quickly you need A ton of cpu

If the new modeling can't be transferred to the FM3, I'd love to see the new models (if possible) using the old modeling tech. Would be better than nothing.

Also would love to see performance page and other usability enhancements, if possible, brought down as well.

Just for refrence if you look at the Helix their Poly pitch blocks and virtual capo eats about 40% of a cpu compared to 10% or a drive
obviously modelling is different but
to control latency and warbling And tracking quickly you need A ton of cpu

For reference, on my HX Stomp I could only get a poly pitch block and an amp/cab block in a preset which makes it kind of impractical.

For reference, on my HX Stomp I could only get a poly pitch block and an amp/cab block in a preset which makes it kind of impractical.

thats why i think pitch blocks take a lot of cpu, Line 6 said they will improve it
even still it will be like 30% of a stomp at minimum

Back
Top Bottom