FM3 Firmware Version 2.00 Public Beta 1

That's not going to happen with this firmware. The algorithms are too intensive to run on the hardware at this time. The FM3 is not an Axe-Fx III and some algorithms may NEVER get ported if the hardware can't support them.

Appreciate the honesty. Really not missing anything in the drive block.

Do this apply to the pitch block also? Would be cool to know because this would be an ok time to justify a drop pedal showing up on my door step.

That's not all he said. He also said the algorithms are too intense for THE HARDWARE at this time. The way I read it, that means that if the only block that was in the preset was the new drive block the hardware could not run it. The hardware isn't going to be altered so the only hope is if the algorithms are altered for the hardware. Maybe that will happen. Maybe not.

And I was clear that my post was MY interpretation of his statement. Hopefully, I'm wrong!

i think is an honest comment
and sets a realistic expectation
we know Cliff and i am sure no one is more frustrated than he is but you can only squeeze so much in and you have to make stability the first priority
at the end of the day

Can I ask what is the question around the drive blocks referring to? The drives in the FM3 are not the same algorithms as Axe FX 3?

There are new drive blocks on the Axe iii that are not ported to the fm3 yet. Specifically the Horizon Devices precision drive.

Just a clarification, those a not drive "Blocks" but drive "models", the block is the one containing all models. I might be wrong, but the new drive models like the Precision Drive, the new TS, etc... were modeled after the Drive Block got an overhaul and got new algorithms, thus, my guess is for those models to get ported to the FM3 as of now, Cliff has to build them under the old algorithm coding.

Just a clarification, those a not drive "Blocks" but drive "models", the block is the one containing all models. I might be wrong, but the new drive models like the Precision Drive, the new TS, etc... were modeled after the Drive Block got an overhaul and got new algorithms, thus, my guess is for those models to get ported to the FM3 as of now, Cliff has to build them under the old algorithm coding.
Sorry my mistake, drive models is what I really meant. 😅

The recoded AFX3 drive models more or less doubled cpu usage ON THE AFX3. That would probably take 3-4X the load of the existing models on the FM3.

Cliff‘s previous statement was that they new models would have to be reworked to be useable on the FM3. It‘s not simply a matter of porting the code.

the question is how much time it would take to rework the drive model code, and whether the reworked models would be significantly better than the existing models on the FM3, and whether that cost-benefit ratio makes sense.

Cliff‘s previous statement was that they new models would have to be reworked to be useable on the FM3. It‘s not simply a matter of porting the code.
Cliffs comments specifically said "algorithms"... I don't think he's referring to the new drive models but to the general Drive block overhaul that happened a while back on the Axe Fx III.

Also, folks should note that he said "at this time"... and he said "may never" as opposed to "will never". Both statements do not rule anything out.

1607222444383.gif

Although some will be disappointed with the Drive news.....I feel there are plenty of drive/gain options now for the Floor model FM3.

The improved VC/PB, IMO is what we should really hope for as this is a live Performance improvement/enhancement.....and what the FM3 is all about.

Last edited:
The improved VC/PB, IMO is what is we should really hope for as this is a live Performance improvement/enhancement.....and what the FM3 is all about.
That's entirely user dependent...

I never had a use for the Virtual Capo, so it's not a benefit to me for performance.

Drive blocks are used all the time (by me) and better sounding/responding drives help me perform better.

To each his own :)

Although some will be disappointed with the Drive news.....I feel there are plenty of drive/gain options now for the Floor model FM3.

The improved VC/PB, IMO is what is we should really hope for as this is a live Performance improvement/enhancement.....and what the FM3 is all about.

I’m down for both. :)

That's entirely user dependent...

I never had a use for the Virtual Capo, so it's not a benefit to me for performance.

Drive blocks are used all the time (by me) and better sounding/responding drives help me perform better.

To each his own :)
Cliffs comments specifically said "algorithms"... I don't think he's referring to the new drive models but to the general Drive block overhaul that happened a while back on the Axe Fx III.

Also, folks should note that he said "at this time"... and he said "may never" as opposed to "will never". Both statements do not rule anything out.

View attachment 75985

perhaps not rule anything out
but set a reasonable expectation
i picture the dev team in the engine
room like Scotti saying we are giving her everything we got captain
but if we keep going we will burn up

FM3 => New Pitch and New Drive Block Info <= this is a definite yes - this was posted on November 25 by Bryant - I think we will get "a version" of these new Blocks "algorithmically chopped down" to run on the FM3 .... just need to wait ...... I also think we'll get Ultra Res IR's before these other blocks.

Ben

If new stuff never been added to the the FX3 (here it seems to be the holy grail of drive blocks ;) ) then no-one asks or talk about it for the FM3.
Sure it is fine if new things for the FX3 also will be available for the FM3 (by the way I think there are enough drives to do a good job at the FM3),
but everybody knows (or should know if read the specifications and forum upfront buying things) that the FM3 is not the FX3.
So if someone really wants to have all the things possible at his acutal device, he should buy the flagship and not the downsized option for half of the money.
It is like buying a Honda Civic and hoping fior the same upgrades released for the Mercedes.
OK I do not think the FM3 is a Honda Civic ;)
I like it and it fits totally my needs and if new stuff from the FX3 is adapted to it I'm happy.
If not it's also fine for me.

I'm more into new things that ar especially for the FM3 - like zoomed Scene view - reduced CPU usage or other stuff that are usefull especially for floor devices.

FM3 => New Pitch and New Drive Block Info <= this is a definite yes - this was posted on November 25 by Bryant - I think we will get "a version" of these new Blocks "algorithmically chopped down" to run on the FM3 .... just need to wait ...... I also think we'll get Ultra Res IR's before these other blocks.

Ben
To be fair, Bryant said "these are on the list"... I am not sure I'd interpret that as "a definite yes". Definitely maybe? ;)

I'd much rather see them invest their resources in fixing the FM3 problems and implementing the Drive and Pitch blocks than a conversion tool... Besides, so much has changed with the modeling and FX blocks since the AX8 days that an imported preset from legacy technology is virtually useless.

Definitely agree here, particularly with the amp modeling. I did carry over some FX blocks and specialty FX presets from my AX8 -> FM3 and did them all 'manually' by hand. While I was able to get the AX8/AX8-Edit going at the same time as FM3/FM3-Edit to directly compare it was a somewhat tedious and time consuming process but I got it done...

It was worth it to me since I know everything is dialed in 'clean' with nothing carried over in software/conversions/imports, etc. and using freshly created/initialized blocks and presets.

The FX blocks/presets layout and many general FX parameters are independent of any platform/tech so I was able to directly copy most settings and the FX placement order then did final touchups from there.

I'd hate to have to recreate my "Run Like Hell" preset from scratch heh...I've converted that manually from the Brit Floyd presets I had on the AFX II -> AX8 -> FM3 but there a few parameters on some of my existing AX8 blocks that are now depreciated, slightly changed, some added, etc. on the FM3 so an automated conversion process is a definite challenge to get right.

I did manually copy the AMP block settings from the AX8 -> FM3 on a couple of my main presets to see how they sounded in the FM3 setup like that just 'for something to do' one night but I've been dialing in the FM3 amps from scratch overall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom