FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

I had something similar that posted in a previous thread and Cliff answered. I was clearing about 20 presets through axe manage and screen went blank on FM3 And froze. Cliff mentioned it could have been I was on a heavy cpu preset when I cleared causing a freeze. Just an FYI, and it was a good explanation of what might have happened. I was on 1.05 at the time.

That wouldn't of been the case with my experience as I was on an empty preset when I went to tool/utilities and selected the clear presets options.
Thanks for sharing your issue though.

My FM3 1.06 froze once at rehearsal yesterday between songs. I went to change presets and two of the three screens went blank and all buttons non responsive. I changed presets using the front panel and that worked but the footswitches still didn’t work. Rebooted and everything was fine after that. Neither presets involved had particularly high cpu load and since it only happened once I couldn’t see anything else that could explain or give any further clues. So might have been a freak incident and I wanted to report nevertheless.

This is a weird one, and I'm not sure if it is related to 1.06.

I have a modifier assigned to the input gain of my delay so that when my EV2 Wah auto engages my delay also engages. I had this set up on my AX8 and on my FM3 with 1.05 and it all worked fine until today. So now when I am connected to FM3 Edit, it all works like it should. Wah engages when I step on it and my delay turns on, and it all disengages with toe down. But when I disconnect from FM3 Edit, the wah no longer works and the delay stays on. The wah kind of sounds half cocked. If I take the delay modifier off, and disconnect from FM3 Edit it all works fine. So it appears adding the delay modifier to the Wah is the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Certainly not a deal breaker but wanted to ask. FM3 is V 1.06 and FM3 Edit is V 1.01.10.

This is a weird one, and I'm not sure if it is related to 1.06.

I have a modifier assigned to the input gain of my delay so that when my EV2 Wah auto engages my delay also engages. I had this set up on my AX8 and on my FM3 with 1.05 and it all worked fine until today. So now when I am connected to FM3 Edit, it all works like it should. Wah engages when I step on it and my delay turns on, and it all disengages with toe down. But when I disconnect from FM3 Edit, the wah no longer works and the delay stays on. The wah kind of sounds half cocked. If I take the delay modifier off, and disconnect from FM3 Edit it all works fine. So it appears adding the delay modifier to the Wah is the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Certainly not a deal breaker but wanted to ask. FM3 is V 1.06 and FM3 Edit is V 1.01.10.
Sounds like your expression pedal cable came partway out.

After loading 1.06 onto my FM3, it now has a pot of coffee waiting for me in the morning next to it, and there seems to be some kind of built-in function that won't let me turn it on until it's verified that I've had my morning cup...

Sounds like your expression pedal cable came partway out.
Thanks Rex. I tried two different TRS cables and two different expression pedals. Same results. It's just weird that it all works when connected to FM3 edit and does not when it's not.

Thanks Rex. I tried two different TRS cables and two different expression pedals. Same results. It's just weird that it all works when connected to FM3 edit and does not when it's not.
Definitely weird. Post the preset?

please upload the preset here.

Thanks again Rex and Chris. Here it is. Wah and delay assigned to expression pedal 1.

Attachments

• 1 Heavy.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
Thanks again Rex and Chris. Here it is. Wah and delay assigned to expression pedal 1.
ok i typed a repro for this issue. but then looked at the Delay block closer.

for the modifier on the Input Gain, you have the Min to 100 and the Max to 100 as well. you also have Auto-Engage turned on. so it seems you just want this block to turn on when you move the pedal.

can you confirm that is the only goal of the Modifier and Pedal here for the delay block?

regardless, if i remove the modifier from the Delay Input Gain, there is no issue. with the preset as is, there seems to be a "CPU stall" or something when the pedal is moved, as the Delay is turning on. the Wah gets stuck in whatever position it's at for a bit, then eventually works as expected.

i'm wondering if having the Min and Max both set to 100 is causing issue, either mathematical or otherwise, as the pedal is attached telling it to change, but it's forced between 2 of the same value, meaning no change. i could be wrong there, but it's a strange setting. it could also be the Auto-Engage for the delay block. i'll have to try a bunch of things to find out.

if your only goal is to have the Delay block turn on when you use the Wah, there may be another way. lemme think about it and get back. but please confirm that goal if i'm right.

for the modifier on the Input Gain, you have the Min to 100 and the Max to 100 as well. you also have Auto-Engage turned on. so it seems you just want this block to turn on when you move the pedal.

can you confirm that is the only goal of the Modifier and Pedal here for the delay block?

regardless, if i remove the modifier from the Delay Input Gain, there is no issue. with the preset as is, there seems to be a "CPU stall" or something when the pedal is moved, as the Delay is turning on. the Wah gets stuck in whatever position it's at for a bit, then eventually works as expected.

i'm wondering if having the Min and Max both set to 100 is causing issue, either mathematical or otherwise, as the pedal is attached telling it to change, but it's forced between 2 of the same value, meaning no change. i could be wrong there, but it's a strange setting. it could also be the Auto-Engage for the delay block. i'll have to try a bunch of things to find out.

if your only goal is to have the Delay block turn on when you use the Wah, there may be another way. lemme think about it and get back. but please confirm that goal if i'm right.
ok i think the issue is the Delay block responding to Auto-Engage. when moving the pedal from toe to heel quickly, there is a moment where the Dot on the graph is stuck for a bit as the block turns on. sometimes it stuck for more than 2 seconds, but mostly it was stuck for 1/2 a second or so.

this seems to only happen with the Delay block. i thought perhaps if 2 blocks were using Auto-Engage at the same time, it'd cause the problem, but even with Wah and Phaser (delay deleted for the test), there was no issue. so i think it's just the Delay block.

if we can figure out a different way to turn on the Delay block with your wah for now, it'd probably help. i'll report this to the devs. thanks for sharing the preset so we can catch this. very specific thing happening here.

Correct. I only want the delay to turn on when I use the wah.

ok i think the issue is the Delay block responding to Auto-Engage. when moving the pedal from toe to heel quickly, there is a moment where the Dot on the graph is stuck for a bit as the block turns on. sometimes it stuck for more than 2 seconds, but mostly it was stuck for 1/2 a second or so.

this seems to only happen with the Delay block. i thought perhaps if 2 blocks were using Auto-Engage at the same time, it'd cause the problem, but even with Wah and Phaser (delay deleted for the test), there was no issue. so i think it's just the Delay block.

if we can figure out a different way to turn on the Delay block with your wah for now, it'd probably help. i'll report this to the devs. thanks for sharing the preset so we can catch this. very specific thing happening here.

Thank you! If there is another way to do this that would be great. I tried attaching the modifier to the delay bypass but it's not the same. The delay turns on at heel down, but turns off when you move from that position. Many thanks for the help!

Yeah, it's definitely the Delay block that's causing the issue, and it's definitely related to the 100%/100% Min and Max. With FM3-Edit disconnected, the FM3 seems to take a quick sample of the pedal's position, and it holds that sample. That value stays held everywhere that modifier is used, including the Wah block.

@WillieD : Just change the Min value to 99%, and it works fine. :)

Yeah, it's definitely the Delay block that's causing the issue, and it's definitely related to the 100%/100% Min and Max. With FM3-Edit disconnected, the FM3 seems to take a quick sample of the pedal's position, and it holds that sample. That value stays held everywhere that modifier is used, including the Wah block.

@WillieD : Just change the Min value to 99%, and it works fine. :)

Thanks for the suggestion Rex. I gave that a try but no dice. Same results. I also deleted the delay block altogether and started over, in addition to selecting Delay 2 instead of delay 1. Sounds great when connected to FM3 Edit but same results when I disconnect.

Thanks for the suggestion Rex. I gave that a try but no dice. Same results. I also deleted the delay block altogether and started over, in addition to selecting Delay 2 instead of delay 1. Sounds great when connected to FM3 Edit but same results when I disconnect.
Weird. It worked fine for me.

ok i think i see what's happening. i can reproduce it "working" with Edit, and then not working just hardware only.

it's definitely Auto-Engage in the Delay block causing this. i can guess why having Edit connected lets it work, and disconnecting makes it not work, but i'm not sure.

we'll get this reported and let you know. for now, i'd say don't use Auto-Engage in the Delay block, unfortunately.

ok i think i see what's happening. i can reproduce it "working" with Edit, and then not working just hardware only.

it's definitely Auto-Engage in the Delay block causing this. i can guess why having Edit connected lets it work, and disconnecting makes it not work, but i'm not sure.

we'll get this reported and let you know. for now, i'd say don't use Auto-Engage in the Delay block, unfortunately.

Thank you! No problem at all. I can totally live with it for now. At least I know I'm not crazy. :p

i let music play from my 16" MBP for 5 hours straight through the FM3 via USB. no dropouts or any issues.

i'd again confirm that you installed the release version of 1.06. hard to say. majority of users with 1.06 are saying their USB audio issues were solved with the release. let us know and we'll continue to help!

Thank you so much for your time and help with this! Very thankful for everyone who helps to create, improve, and inspire on behalf of Fractal Audio.

I have been sticking to FW 1.05 since, and will do so for the rest of the month. I fly out of state for tour this Thursday, playing close to a dozen outdoor events. FM3 will be joining me and the band on stage, so I just want to make sure it is working reliably (for how I use it) for upcoming rehearsals/shows. The next month after I return, I will check for the possibility to more consistently recreate the issue on my end.

I really do appreciate the community and support behind this product. First investment into the modeling world. Nothing but amazement and happy ears on my end!

Back
Top Bottom