FM3 and windows audio. Help an idiot please.

addedc

Experienced
I am getting too old to deal with computers, their updates and issues. At home I play my FM3 through a mixer so I can have both the FM3 and whatever song I am learning to play on computer come out through my computer monitors. Been doing that with Fractal stuff for years. Today, after I had some cleaning people in, my audio playback device shifted to Fractal, so I can't hear any sound from my computer. If I shift the default to the other option, which is RealTek speakers, I can hear computer audio, but not my guitar. I am on Windows 11.

Aside from throwing my computer out the window, what do I do to fix it so I can hear both again? Would greatly appreciate any help.

Speaking of being an idiot, I keep hitting post thread and it does nothing. Computers are maddening

If your FM3 is connected to a mixer and you can’t hear the FM3, the mixer needs to be adjusted. The computer doesn’t affect audio from the FM3 connected to a mixer.

Thanks Chris. The computer goes into the mixer and I think the audio device setting does affect whether the computer audio plays through the mixer or not. Before I "upgraded" to Windows 11, this would happen sometimes whenI took the FM3 out to play a gig. When I put it back it would shift the audio playback device to Fractal, but I could get computer audio back by switching the playback device back to the RealTek speakers. That no longer works.

Make sure your computer audio level is turned up. What output are you using on your computer’s sound adapter? Go into sound setup>advanced in Windows and run a test of your audio.

Oh and make sure the mixer channel is up and routed properly.

Also, possibly a reboot if you haven’t done it after making sure the Realtek is selected might not hurt. Shouldn’t have to, but Windows is happier sometimes after a reboot.

Thanks Chris. The computer goes into the mixer and I think the audio device setting does affect whether the computer audio plays through the mixer or not. Before I "upgraded" to Windows 11, this would happen sometimes whenI took the FM3 out to play a gig. When I put it back it would shift the audio playback device to Fractal, but I could get computer audio back by switching the playback device back to the RealTek speakers. That no longer works.
You said you can’t hear the guitar. That means audio isn’t getting from the FM3 to the mixer, or a setting on the mixer.

You said you can’t hear the guitar. That means audio isn’t getting from the FM3 to the mixer, or a setting on the mixer.
Sort of sounds like he has the computer going to the mixer also and then the mixer to speakers. Yes it is confusing.

Sort of sounds like he has the computer going to the mixer also and then the mixer to speakers. Yes it is confusing.
This is common and straightforward.

He said he doesn’t hear guitar, and if the FM3 is connected to a mixer, that means the mixer isn’t passing sound, not much to do with the computer.

Thanks for your help. I tried fixing this the way I used to with Windows 10 where I clicked the audio icon in the lower right and changed the playback device back to RealTek. That only allowed playback from one device or the other. I found there is the same setting option hidden in a deeper settings menu. Making the change to RealTek speakers there allowed playback from both again.

I appreciate all of your efforts to help. BTW, is there anyway to prevent the Fractal from automatically setting itself as the default audio device? That's what causes the issue.

I appreciate all of your efforts to help. BTW, is there anyway to prevent the Fractal from automatically setting itself as the default audio device? That's what causes the issue.
Yes, probably not connect the FM3 while windows is running. Once a device is set up and drivers installed in Windows and it is connected it may takeover. There’s is a setting to make a certain audio device the default. Make sure that is checked. Depending on how the device USB drivers are written sometimes some devices will make themselves the new device and as I said if you connect it while Windows is running.

Thanks for your help. I tried fixing this the way I used to with Windows 10 where I clicked the audio icon in the lower right and changed the playback device back to RealTek. That only allowed playback from one device or the other. I found there is the same setting option hidden in a deeper settings menu. Making the change to RealTek speakers there allowed playback from both again.
I’m glad you got it sorted. It’s still not clear what happened, though. It’d be good to know the name of the setting you found.

BTW, is there anyway to prevent the Fractal from automatically setting itself as the default audio device? That's what causes the issue.
Your FM3 didn’t take over anything. It can’t. Your computer chose to make this change by itself.

I’m glad you got it sorted. It’s still not clear what happened, though. It’d be good to know the name of the setting you found.
It was in the audio settings menu, which I accessed through the magnifying glass (not the icon on the lower right. That doesn't work.)

It was in the audio settings menu, which I accessed through the magnifying glass (not the icon on the lower right. That doesn't work.)
Sorry, I don’t have Windows 11 and don’t see the magnifying glass, so I can’t be of much help there.

well alright, was gonna come back and help again, but the attitude from some people is just so rude for no reason.

[posts which caused this reaction have since been deleted, for context]

i have no idea where I disrespected anyone in this thread.

if anyone would like help from me directly, please join my forum, link on my website. only the original author and helpers can reply, no one else can come in and derail or post rude things.

thanks for 15 years of forum fun, but after taking a break for a few months because of exactly this, then coming back and having it happen almost immediately again, i just can’t have that when i’m giving my free time to others.

i’ll continue doing beta work behind the scenes which helps every customer - such a great team of amazing minds. but I won’t stand for this kind of treatment anymore.

Bye.

Last edited:
Your FM3 didn’t take over anything. It can’t. Your computer chose to make this change by itself.
Are not “drivers” software that interact with the operating system which is software that controls just about every aspect of the “computer”? Of course there is the BIOS, but once the OS (especially with Windows) boots the OS becomes the dominate feature. The computer is a sophisticated boat anchor without. The drivers are programmed with both the peripheral device and OS in consideration. It’s hard to help someone when others are choosing to split the finest of hairs over the semantics and syntax of a persons sentences for what seems to be purely contrarian motives. It can become extremely infuriating. Especially if “piling on happens”.

If this comment is considered “abusive” then I’m at a complete loss.

Are not “drivers” software that interact with the operating system which is software that controls just about every aspect of the “computer”? Of course there is the BIOS, but once the OS (especially with Windows) boots the OS becomes the dominate feature. The computer is a sophisticated boat anchor without. The drivers are programmed with both the peripheral device and OS in consideration. It’s hard to help someone when others are choosing to split the finest of hairs over the semantics and syntax of a persons sentences for what seems to be purely contrarian motives. It can become extremely infuriating. Especially if “piling on happens”.

If this comment is considered “abusive” then I’m at a complete loss.
Correct. And not abusive at all, so no worries there.

But you're wrong about splitting hairs. My post was not contrarian. It was intended to help. It was the computer itself that "took over" the audio. Trying to find a solution elsewhere would be fruitless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom