[fixed] FC12 PROBLEM (& FC6)....3 BUTTONS (ALL BUTTONS) not functioning..but light up.

My FC-6 seems to be having problems again. I'm in Layout 7 (Perform 1). The top 3 footswitches become unresponsive. The bottom 3 continue to work as expected. I've had to reboot 3 times in the past hour. FW 12.03, FC 1.10, Axe Edit 1.5.3. Using a brand new XLR cable.

Edit: SOLVED. I was using a preset that was accessing the Global Scales, and I hadn't entered any data. I updates to 12.03, entered the data, problem solved.

This sound dubious to me, as the data for global scales is always there, albeit set to 0 semitones across the board.

My FC12 is doing the same thing. Bottom 2 buttons stop working. I'm using a scene layout with bottom right (2) buttons programmed to bypass certain FX. Power cycle always seems to fix it. It did it once about a week ago but happened 3 times tonight. AF3 with FW 11.0 as shipped to me about 10 weeks ago

I've got shows to play this weekend - might to take my Marshall JVM rig.

I'm curious if there are any new developments on this as well. Very intermittent for me, but it will happen occassionally. I was rebooting, but I have found that just unplugging the FASLink and plugging back in resets it, and gets me up and running faster.

I'm curious if there are any new developments on this as well. Very intermittent for me, but it will happen occassionally. I was rebooting, but I have found that just unplugging the FASLink and plugging back in resets it, and gets me up and running faster.
The engineer thinks he's found the problem. He has a unit that was doing it but with the new firmware it's been running for several days now without exhibiting the problem..

The engineer thinks he's found the problem. He has a unit that was doing it but with the new firmware it's been running for several days now without exhibiting the problem..
Thank you Cliff. Great news. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does the trick! Sounds like good chances it will be fixed before we gig again, as we aren't booking anything for at least a couple more months.

You know, I just received my FC-12 today. And right off the bat I've got something happening that resembles the behavior described above. After the unit has been on for a few minutes, the top right switch just stops working. Restarting the Axe or even just pulling the plug for a few minutes makes it go away. But after some variable length of time it comes back.

I probably should have checked here first. But I figured I had a hardware issue initially so I emailed support. More to just ask if there was anything other than the standard stuff (cable, re-initializing the FC, resetting the system data, etc.) that I could try. And to their credit, they were really quick to respond. But it was just with an RMA. No confirmation that I had tried everything. No followup questions. No, hey there's a forum thread on this.. Just, "Send it back."

Which is OK to some degree I guess. But here's the thing. It comes with a disclaimer that if they don't find anything wrong they just send it back and charge me return shipping. And in addition, they have instructions to print out the email issue thread when you send it back. Like they can't tie this to an issue # and look at it online? And given that it takes a while for it to happen sometimes, you start to wonder if they will just turn it on, hit a couple of buttons and say, "Oh, well. Nothing to see here. Send it back and charge return shipping."

I didn't ask for a return. I asked for input and/or advice. None came. That bothers me a bit.

Now I'm wondering, "Do I send it back, or do I wait and see if there's a firmware upgrade that fixes it?" But I see passages like this:

So does the same thing happen to me? They swap out and something else goes wrong? And the fact that it's not always the same buttons that stop working bothers me quite a bit. And makes me wonder exactly how that relates to firmware? If it was firmware, I'd expect it to do the same thing every time given consistent hardware to run on. The fact that it's all over the place makes me wonder out loud how well they know their parts suppliers?

I kind of wonder what rolling back to older firmware might do? But I don't see any suggestions along this line. I'm not going to hammer them for things going wrong. I'm a developer for a fairly large software company. Things do go wrong. But how you respond when it's something like this does indicate something about a company.

I was kind of leaning towards a Mastermind given it's got a better display and isn't locked to the Axe, but decided that just works out of the box was the way to go given my past experience with the MFC. And the FC does cost less. But this has not been the kind of seamless, no integration issue experience I had hoped for. I'm going to be thinking hard on this over the weekend. Given all the issues with getting the FM3 out and now this I wonder if they're just past their capacity to deal with this kind of thing well.

I love that they keep improving on the product as long as humanly possible. I love all the extras they provide when they don't have to. But I'd take better support for something like this over a new flanger any day of the week.
I would wait and contact them Monday. I think they only recently uncovered this issue and it is possible that not everyone in support is aware that the engineer is working on a firmware update to fix it. If they can fix it with firmware it will save you and Fractal some headaches. I'm sure if you mention that you have heard about potential firmware issues and mention this thread they are likely to wait until the fix comes out before they have you send it back.

You know, I just received my FC-12 today. And right off the bat I've got something happening that resembles the behavior described above. After the unit has been on for a few minutes, the top right switch just stops working. Restarting the Axe or even just pulling the plug for a few minutes makes it go away. But after some variable length of time it comes back.

I probably should have checked here first. But I figured I had a hardware issue initially so I emailed support. More to just ask if there was anything other than the standard stuff (cable, re-initializing the FC, resetting the system data, etc.) that I could try. And to their credit, they were really quick to respond. But it was just with an RMA. No confirmation that I had tried everything. No followup questions. No, hey there's a forum thread on this.. Just, "Send it back."

Which is OK to some degree I guess. But here's the thing. It comes with a disclaimer that if they don't find anything wrong they just send it back and charge me return shipping. And in addition, they have instructions to print out the email issue thread when you send it back. Like they can't tie this to an issue # and look at it online? And given that it takes a while for it to happen sometimes, you start to wonder if they will just turn it on, hit a couple of buttons and say, "Oh, well. Nothing to see here. Send it back and charge return shipping."

I didn't ask for a return. I asked for input and/or advice. None came. That bothers me a bit.

Now I'm wondering, "Do I send it back, or do I wait and see if there's a firmware upgrade that fixes it?" But I see passages like this:

So does the same thing happen to me? They swap out and something else goes wrong? And the fact that it's not always the same buttons that stop working bothers me quite a bit. And makes me wonder exactly how that relates to firmware? If it was firmware, I'd expect it to do the same thing every time given consistent hardware to run on. The fact that it's all over the place makes me wonder out loud how well they know their parts suppliers?

I kind of wonder what rolling back to older firmware might do? But I don't see any suggestions along this line. I'm not going to hammer them for things going wrong. I'm a developer for a fairly large software company. Things do go wrong. But how you respond when it's something like this does indicate something about a company.

I was kind of leaning towards a Mastermind given it's got a better display and isn't locked to the Axe, but decided that just works out of the box was the way to go given my past experience with the MFC. And the FC does cost less. But this has not been the kind of seamless, no integration issue experience I had hoped for. I'm going to be thinking hard on this over the weekend. Given all the issues with getting the FM3 out and now this I wonder if they're just past their capacity to deal with this kind of thing well.

I love that they keep improving on the product as long as humanly possible. I love all the extras they provide when they don't have to. But I'd take better support for something like this over a new flanger any day of the week.
I’d hold on. The FCs are great and it seems an issue crept in along the way. If the issue is the same as what’s been reported in this thread, the devs will figure it out and update.

personally I haven’t experienced this, but with thousands of switch combinations possible, some may find a bug while others won’t.

I've has the same issue and have been told by support today they have a likely firmware fix and are testing it- so wait.
Initially, I sent my FC 12 away for repair (to Toronto as I live in Canada) and got it back in a week. Great, but, same problem. When I reported that I was initially told to send it to the US for further repair but I pushed back and we decided I'd buy another one to see it that worked (and then return the 'broken' one). When the new FC 12 did the same thing, it was apparent it was a software issue. And yes, I've paid twice for shipping.

Straight out of the box, plain vanilla config, just going back between layouts isn't exactly thousands of switch combinations.
I don’t use default layouts ever. So I may not have the issue programmed at all. During testing for the release we tested defaults vigorously so it’s something that’s happened since.

And to add, I just loaded the 1.06 firmware and it's still occurring. Given that 1.06 is from 05-2019, and this is just now showing up I think it's safe to say that it's not just the firmware. And if changing the firmware fixes it then it means that some piece of hardware changed and they're basically using the code to fix it. Which I'm going to get too weirded out about. That happens in software more than most developers would care to admit.

But the fact that you're getting different responses from varying people in what is still a pretty small company isn't exactly a huge confidence generator. Still love my Axe. Wanted to like the FC, but as the saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

And the Mastermind 16's are on sale...
This is a lot of guessing.

if it’s not working for you sell it and move on. But fractal has a pretty good track record of fixing things in short time. I had a G-System volume bug that TC-Elec took over a year to fix in the “next” update, and other bugs they never fixed.

but honestly sell it if it’s a problem. They will fix it tho.

Reactions: Rex
Add another FC-12 to the list.... Bottom left three switches become unresponsive... Nothing fancy, just switching between basic scenes... It seems to only occur minutes after using Axe Edit.. I've noticed this prior to the last two Axe Edit updates, yet persists after the 2 quick updates.. (Not assuming that its Axe Software related.....) All latest firmware/software.. Staying tuned and standing by.

I doubt it has anything to do with Axe Edit. I didn't even have it running. And in fact, I had USB disconnected from the Axe just to make sure that didn't have an impact.

The question I have would have would be how new your FC-12 is? When did you get it? And how long have you had it before it started showing the issue? Seems to be recent.
I’ve had mine since December, both units purchased used. I had no problems at first, my AXE was on 11.01 and the FC-6 was on 1.09. I had no problem until February, when I started digging deeper into Scenes. Before I could just stay on the Preset Layout and had no issues, but now it gets locked up within a few minutes.

If you check the forum, you’ll notice that this is a fairly recent issue. I suppose that it could be a hardware issue; possibly the affected units have parts from a defective batch. But to have them start failing all around the same time suggests a software issue. I’m guessing that there is some squirrely errant code that causes communication issues between the two units.

(I used to be a Senior Programmer/Analyst in a prior life)

bottom left switch has become unresponsive for me on my fc-12 from time to time — unplugging the xlr and plugging it back I’m fixed it right away. Noticed it while browsing Austin buddy’s naked amp pack v12.

i got my fc-12 January 2019, only noticed this since I returned back from India in January this year.

Is it known which firmware this started with? I'm back on 10.x on my gigging unit and I'm wondering if I should stay there for an upcoming show.

Has anyone had an update on this issue? Last I heard (Feb 20), Fractal thought they had a solution but nothing since. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom