First ML Cab Pack for 2016: "The Little Guy"

^^^This.

There's no shortage of Internet pundits who are eager to tell you what you're supposed to like.

If you find that the deeper you dig, the more confused you get, then most of what you're reading and hearing is B.S.
But... hearing "I don't like the V30 sound" on internet forums when they have no idea there are at least half a dozen radically different sounding V30s out there is a bit ignorant as well. The difference between a Chinese 60w V30 and a 70w Mesa V30 is just as big as any V30 vs a Greenback.

So if you care about your tone it doesn't hurt to know this stuff. :)

The thing that amazes me is how different speakers of each model can sound. Look at all the cab packs of 4x12 cabinets. Even though each speaker in the 4x12 is of the same model, each one sounds dramatically different. I wonder why there isn't more consistency. Seems like it has always been this way. Listen to the cab packs from ML and cab.IR that are of captures of cabinets from the 1960s and 1970s. The A, B, C, and D speakers all sound very different. Even as I experimented with making IRs of my own cabinet, I found that each speaker in my 4x12 sounds different, even when I go though every effort to place the mic consistently from speaker to speaker.

I wonder if hifi speakers have this same inconsistency. If so, do we just not notice?

The difference between a Chinese 60w V30 and a 70w Mesa V30 is just as big as any V30 vs a Greenback.

I feel like that's pushing it a bit...

There are more types of greenbacks than I can count, and they all sound very different from one another. If that's what you're saying then I agree, but the difference between a 60w and a 70w V30 isn't as drastic as a V30 vs a greenback. There's way too drastic a difference in headroom from a V30 and a greenback for me to agree with a statement like that. I don't mean to take anything away from the sound difference between different V30's though haha

I know it sounds a bit over the top but I've shot a ridiculous amount of V30s (25 if you only count the ones in FAS Cab Packs) and I can not describe what "the V30 sound" is. All I can tell you is that the best V30s are the best speakers you'll most likely ever find. Just like a nice Pre-Rola Greenback, nothing else hardly compares. There are simply so many different types of V30 speakers just like there are many Greenbacks.

And on top of that what @pharmd07 said. The Engl cab I used for CP19 is the first cab that has even slightly similar sounding speakers. It's front loaded and that may be the reason why. This is the rare occasing where Chinese V30s are worn in just the right amount of time. Still the Mesa 70w V30s in Cab Pack 7 and 13 are the holy grail for me. This 2x12 is something different once again. 70w Mesa V30s but 16ohm and for that reason alone they have a lot more middle bite.

The quest... never ends.

Hey guys check Amin shredding his guitar to pieces with these new IR's... I promise is because of the IR's and not due to a lot of practice. I will not guarantee that though.

If you were as impressed as I was please support Amin in the competition. :)

Okay so I just got word that these IR's were passed on to the FAS beta team so I feel comfortable sharing the news. :) The cabs included in this Cab Pack are:

ML USA 2x12: Based on a Mesa 2x12 with 70w 16Ohm V30s. Brighter with more juicy middle bite than other Mesa cabinets I've done.

ML Citrus 2x12: Based on an Orange 2x12 with 60w V30s. This one has been toured and worn in real good so it's a very full sound with 0% sizzle.

I'm not at home. I haven't seen my Axe-Fx in 4 months at this point... but I still have the session I used for the Brit Collection demonstrations so I chose the Guns N' Roses song and picked an alloy IR from both packs. As always the tones are raw and unprocessed so these tones are achievable plug'n'play and in this case even the preset wasn't tweaked for the sounds.

USA 2x12:

Citrus 2x12:

The "based on Mesa" alone is a keeper but many of the beta guys ended up preferring the "based on Orange" cab for it's fatness. It really does something special to the high end and is extremely flat. Can't wait for you guys to try these out. :)

I really enjoy playing through 2x12 cabs . Can't wait for this! thanks!

Really looking forward to these coming out! That vid definitely made the waiting harder too. Any chance the pack will drop in time for the weekend?

Checked the status. It's coming out "soon". :joycat: No really it is. Should be in a week or so. Final touches! That being said I added Preset-Cab Bundles to the pack so you can start rocking straight out of the box without tweaking. :)

The "based on Mesa 2x12":

Very modern. Crushing. Slight smiley face EQ curve. Powerful Fender type clean sounds. Works great with the Recto and Lead amp sims.

The "based on Orange 2x12":

Loads of mids. Sounds happy and liquidy. Neverending sustain. Some of the fattest cleans. The Citrus "flapping" works f.ex. 0:45 when playing a semitone harmony it creates that "broken sound". That's a good way to tell if it's a "based on Orange" tone or not.

Hi guys! Just wanted to let everyone know that this Cab Pack has been updated with Preset-Cab Bundles that are fine tuned to work with the latest firmware. :) We did this to all Cab Packs that included presets in the past. You can now re-download the new versions for these packs through the Fractal Audio Online Store with your account details. Thanks guys! :)

These are all the packs that got the 2017 Preset-Cab Bundle update:
Cab Pack 7: CK's USA Traditional 4x12
Cab Pack 18: ML Class-A
Cab Pack 20: ML Brit 4x12 Collection
Cab Pack 23: ML USA + Citrus 2x12s
Cab Pack 24 - ML Dizzy 4x12

Back
Top Bottom