First Fractal! What should I know going in?

Be prepared to invest significant time to get the most out of the unit, but don’t try to master it all at once. Start simple: Amp and cab. Find the core sounds you like, then add effects around that. Play, have fun, enjoy the sounds. Then start exploring expression pedals, additional switches, and other functional items that will streamline the experience. Over time you’ll try a lot of different setups and options and learn what works best for you. Avoid the temptation to buy a bunch of pre-built presets. Learn how to build them yourself for your guitars, your sounds, your songs. It will take more time up front but it will pay dividends in the long run as you understand how to quickly build a useable signal chain from scratch. Good luck!

LOTS of good free resources from Leon Todd, Chris (AxeFx Tutorials) etc...I would start with those.
Don't need to pay for any tutorials. Any questions after that, just ask here.
The wiki has some helpful info also.

For me the most difficult part to wrap my head around was the Layouts functions, how those practically play out when programming with the FM3-Edit and my particular foot controller setup (FM3 plus FC6), and how to set up per-preset overrides (which for me are practically essential!) and layout links. It's all covered in the manual, but I found that until I actually did it I wasn't entirely clear on how to set it all up.

Also, understanding the difference between presets, scenes, and channels is critical to being able to use the FM3, so you may wish to pay particular attention to those parts of the manual - it's very logical and it's easy to use once you understand it, but it can take some time to understand the difference between them and what that means practically (for example, you can't copy scenes between presets, but with FM3-edit you CAN save the settings of a particular block for use in other presets, you generally can't have different controller assignments for different channels within a block within a particular preset, etc.).

I've found the dialling in of amp tones, FX, and other blocks to be quite intuitive, as is the routing of blocks within presets. Controller set up (expression pedals, etc.) is reasonably straightforward, especially if you've used them on other devices.

And although I'm not usually the type to look to YouTubers for advice on how to use gear, I have found a ton of valuable tips in the sources noted above - like Leon and Cooper's videos. I certainly wouldn't be using a ring modulator had I not heard the videos showing how you can get actual musical, usable sounds out of the FM3's unique ring modulator implementation. Another one was 'how to fake feedback when you're going direct without a cab on stage'.

One more tip - if you're struggling to get more of an 'amp in the room' tone, start with the 'room level' setting in the cab block under the room/air tab. That was eye-opening for me.

Last edited:
For me the most difficult part to wrap my head around was the Layouts functions, how those practically play out when programming with the FM3-Edit and my particular foot controller setup (FM3 plus FC6), and how to set up per-preset overrides (which for me are practically essential!) and layout links. It's all covered in the manual, but I found that until I actually did it I wasn't entirely clear on how to set it all up.

Also, understanding the difference between presets, scenes, and channels is critical to being able to use the FM3, so you may wish to pay particular attention to those parts of the manual - it's very logical and it's easy to use once you understand it, but it can take some time to understand the difference between them and what that means practically (for example, you can't copy scenes between presets, but with FM3-edit you CAN save the settings of a particular block for use in other presets, you generally can't have different controller assignments for different channels within a block within a particular preset, etc.).

I've found the dialling in of amp tones, FX, and other blocks to be quite intuitive, as is the routing of blocks within presets. Controller set up (expression pedals, etc.) is reasonably straightforward, especially if you've used them on other devices.

And although I'm not usually the type to look to YouTubers for advice on how to use gear, I have found a ton of valuable tips in the sources noted above - like Leon and Cooper's videos. I certainly wouldn't be using a ring modulator had I not heard the videos showing how you can get actual musical, usable sounds out of the FM3's unique ring modulator implementation. Another one was 'how to fake feedback when you're going direct without a cab on stage'.

One more tip - if you're struggling to get more of an 'amp in the room' tone, start with the 'room level' setting in the cab block under the room/air tab. That was eye-opening for me.
This point about presets, scenes, and channels is really critical to understanding conversations on the forum. Understanding Layouts is equally as critical. The manual does a great job of rooting these terms in the Fractal universe. Do yourself a favor and really focus on learning these and you’ll be able to easily understand most people’s advice on the structure of a signal chain and how to manage it. Cheers!

Make sure to check out the Plex Delay types! I also had a Meris Mercury 7 before going Fractal, and loved the soundscape effects it could do. The Plex Delay block can do a lot of soundscape type effects. I like to combine those with the stratocumulous reverb for a crazy lush sound.

Also, if you use Vox styled amps, you need to check out the Morgan AC-20 model. It is killer.

Make sure to check out the Plex Delay types! I also had a Meris Mercury 7 before going Fractal, and loved the soundscape effects it could do. The Plex Delay block can do a lot of soundscape type effects. I like to combine those with the stratocumulous reverb for a crazy lush sound.
TBH, it was hearing those in a demo that convinced me to give Fractal a shot. I love the sounds in the Mercury 7, but I also loved what I was hearing. I'm really looking forward to playing with those.

Thursday cannot come soon enough, haha.

Depending on what you need available sans audio pauses and with perfect tails, many use an additional device or two with their FM3's to save CPU (typically Reverb, OD, or Whammy etc), and many external devices can be powered via the FM3's FAS Link connector as well (1A at 12V is available if you're not using a Fractal FC controller assuming you're handy with a soldering iron, and other voltages can be obtained).

Also, if new to IR's and familiar with the Two Notes Cabs with real-time control over mic positioning, you can incorporate your Two Notes Cab-M too.

The FM3 is CPU challenged in some respects for large kitchen sink type presets, but mine reliably runs the following...

2 Inputs, 2 Outputs, Wah, Amp, Mixer, Cab (2 standard IR's), Pan/Trem, Pitch, Send, Return, 2 Delays, Multi-Delay, Vol/Pan, Plex-Delay, and 3 Shunts, along with automated Tempo from Ableton LIVE, 2 Stand-In Switches, an Envelope Follower, a LFO, the Arpeggiator, 2 Gates and 2 GEQ's (via the I/O's), and a few Control Switches and Scene Controllers.

...all of this at 77% - 78% CPU on average, with 81% - 82% peak on one Scene with the Pitch Block doing smart harmony, and the FM3 is stable on all Scenes (with a Marshall 2203 tube preamp in the FX Loop and the Amp Block providing a really good tube power amp sim). The FM3 is happiest with the CPU usage under 80%.

NOTE: FX 5.02 proved too slow to process pitch block channel changes, and it doubled the tremolo blocks tempo, both when receiving MIDI via the 5 Pin DIN, so I've had to roll-back to 5.01 which is fine (as are the earlier FW revisions).

That said, if you're primarily recording and if can you split everything into separate presets, then CPU should not be much of an issue. The new FM9 has double the CPU if need be (and the AFX3 double the FM9).

Good luck, have fun!

Last edited:
Also, if you use Vox styled amps, you need to check out the Morgan AC-20 model. It is killer.

Yes the AC20 is killer. I don’t think it’s possible to get a bad tone out of it. With boosts and drives it can do it all. If you find yourself getting frustrated at 1st use this amp. Some of the amp models can be tough to dial in to your liking but this one is easy to use.

Welcome. You’re going to love your FM3. Here’s a few lessons learned (some the hard way):
1. Never upgrade firmware the day of a show.
2. Always make a backup with Fractalbot before making any changes to the patches you use at shows.
3. Walk away after you’ve been dialing in sounds for a while and come back to it. Often times, you’ll think a patch sounds great and then listen to it a few hours later and hate it. The converse us also true. You might hate a patch and then love it later. Ear fatigue is common and can fool you.
4 Don't give up. It will seem daunting at first and you don’t need to understand the unit like Cooper Carter to really enjoy it.
5. Visit the preset exchange forum and download some patches from other people. You can learn a lot by seeing what they did and reverse engineering.
6. Lastly, don’t be afraid to ask for help. People on these boards are glad to help and have bailed me out numerous times with Fractal products.

Cheers 🥂

There's obviously lots to learn, read, and go through in terms of resources that deal with these amazing devices and what they're capable of. All that can be a rabbit hole in and of itself, so don't forget to just sometimes stop, experiment, smell the roses and let those creative juices flow. And something that I'm still sometimes struggling with, dial those tones in using your ears, not eyes.

Walk away after you’ve been dialing in sounds for a while and come back to it. Often times, you’ll think a patch sounds great and then listen to it a few hours later and hate it. The converse us also true. You might hate a patch and then love it later. Ear fatigue is common and can fool you.
And adjust the EQ and gain at stage volume. We hear differently at 90-95dB than we do when the sound is quieter, and the guitar reacts to the sound differently and that affects the sound going into the modeler.

Hey all! I have an FM3 on the way: it's my first Fractal anything. What should I know going in?

That's the low-context version: here's the long one. My most recent rig was:
  • Boss SD-1
  • Fryette Deliverance (Synergy SYN-1 Module)
  • Two Notes CAB M+
  • Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Deluxe
  • Meris Mercury 7
I used an Orange Rocker 15 before that. HX Stomp, Walrus ACS1, Strymon Iridium... buncha stuff, haha.

So what should I know heading in?

- - -​

More info for those who find additional context useful

Styles:
  • Cinematic composing (think Two Steps From Hell, video games)
  • Singer-songwriter stuff (somewhere in the Counting Crows/Death Cab for Cutie space)
  • Industrial heavy low-tuned stuff (Channeling my inner Mick Gordon)
  • Ska-punk (Goldfinger's current 3-guitar lineup is a good benchmark)
  • Ambient soundscapes (file this under soundtrack composing, really. Just very guitar-based, lotta volume swells, that vibe)
  • Percussive acoustic (Imagine Kaki King, if she was far less technically proficient)
  • ...etc.

Instruments:
  • Ibanez Acoustic-Electric that I intend to process partially through the Axefx (it has three pickups, I'mma route the piezo through the FM3, then record the contact pickup, internal microphone, and also mic it up separately)
  • LTD Eclipse 1000 Evertune. A Jazz/JB Les Paul in standard tuning
  • Ibanez Axiom Something something. 25.5"-27.5" Baritone multiscale tuned to B standard, Fishman Moderns
  • Custom DOOD Craft 28.5"-30" baritone multiscale tuned to F# standard/Drop E. Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentient.
  • Fender Standard Jaguar Bass. P/J pickups, great joy
...whew! That's a small novel. Anyway, hi! Excited to get started on this journey!
You have a lot of great presets in the preset exchange forums. Find a couple that you like and start to reverse engineer them and what blocks are used, and you will get the hang of the FM3 UI. You can also import presets from other Fractal devices with the Frac tool.

Depending on what you need available sans audio pauses and with perfect tails, many use an additional device or two with their FM3's to save CPU (typically Reverb, OD, or Whammy etc), and many external devices can be powered via the FM3's FAS Link connector as well (1A at 12V is available if you're not using a Fractal FC controller, and assuming you're handy with a soldering iron other voltages can be obtained).

Also, if new to IR's and familiar with the Two Notes Cabs with real-time control over mic positioning, you can incorporate your Two Notes Cab-M too.

The FM3 is CPU challenged in some respects for large kitchen sink type presets, but mine reliably runs the following...

2 Inputs, 2 Outputs, Wah, Amp, Mixer, Cab (2 standard IR's), Pan/Trem, Pitch, Send, Return, 2 Delays, Multi-Delay, Vol/Pan, Plex-Delay, and 3 Shunts, along with automated Tempo from Ableton LIVE, 2 Stand-In Switches, an Envelope Follower, a LFO, the Arpeggiator, 2 Gates and 2 GEQ's (via the I/O's), and a few Control Switches and Scene Controllers.

...all of this at 77% - 78% CPU on average, with 81% - 82% peak on one Scene with the Pitch Block doing smart harmony, and the FM3 is stable on all Scenes (with a Marshall 2203 tube preamp in the FX Loop and the Amp Block providing a really good tube power amp sim). The FM3 is happiest with the CPU usage under 80%.

That said, if you're primarily recording and if can you split everything into separate presets, then CPU should not be much of an issue. The new FM9 has double the CPU if need be (and the AFX3 double the FM9).

Good luck, have fun!
Oh wow, yeah. That is a lot of stuff in a preset for the "low-power" model.

You have a lot of great presets in the preset exchange forums. Find a couple that you like and start to reverse engineer them and what blocks are used, and you will get the hang of the FM3 UI. You can also import presets from other Fractal devices with the Frac tool.
Honestly, this seems like a good road for me. Reverse-engineering technical workflows and integrations is pretty much how I got into my current field haha.

Whether studio monitors or stage monitors, make sure your MakeItLoudTM stuff is up to the task!

Although some of them are highly specialized and effects heavy, the factory presets really don't suck. Lots of great bits to steal and mix and match.

Listen to Leon Todd. His tutorial output is epic. Just look for the ones that apply to your styles....trust me, at some point he's made them.

Back
Top Bottom