First Fractal! What should I know going in?

So many great tips. I think one of the most important is having a great set up for monitoring yourself. My preference is thru a power amp and guitar cab, but I also have a Xitone powered wedge that sounds great. Lot's of great options out there and lots of helpful opinions around this forum. If you get great sounds, it'll inspire you to keep digging and learning. Congrats!

FM3 was sold after only 2 weeks - bought AXE III - way happier now - its an FM3 on steroids
I mean, I was weighing that $2.5k AxeFX III Mk. II Turbo Championship Edition in the cart... but it's an awfully big step. I already sold off my extant rig to afford the FM3, haha. That more than covered the FM3, but I also wanted to get some serious headphones (to also help with mixing/mastering.

(And I know that's a whole kettle of fish: I've worked in studios with great monitors, and I've mixed on Audio Technica M50x's. Liked the latter mixes better, generally. Mixing & Mastering is about familiarity as much as clarity, haha.)

That said, the fact that an FM3 really holds its price - so could be flipped towards the big one - was a major selling point. I was even doing like, prognostications on when a hypothetical AxeFX IV might come out, based on prior hardware rollouts at Fractal. Looking at used prices. Trying to not buy the thing just before the new thing comes out, you know?

Anyway, I'm hyped to try the gateway drug ;)

I was even doing like, prognostications on when a hypothetical AxeFX IV might come out, based on prior hardware rollouts at Fractal.

Obviously, circumstances dictate change. But past hardware releases seemed like a public data set worth looking for patterns in. (All info is from the Fractal Wiki, and is just here for funsies/an example of me overthinking things.)

But with the exception of the OG to the Ultra, there's a reasonably consistent pattern of release. The future predictions are based on the average release time of the Ultra to II (1491 days) and the II XL to the II (1461 days), or 1476 days total. Ish. Months would be a better metric, whatever.

Anyway, it suggests a September 2024 release for a hypothetical AxeFX IV, provided that the time of release is in line with the time between prior new numbered entries.

1649878963972.png

This does not, of course, take into account factors like:
  • A global pandemic
  • A global chip shortage
  • A potential global tube/valve shortage
  • The desires of Cliff & the team, and the question of what kind of hardware evolutions would make sense from their perspective
  • All of our sad, sad wallets
So who knows? I just thought there was an interesting pattern, and figured I'd share. :)

There goes all your free time!

Seriously in over 40 years of buying gear, Fractal gear has brought the most satisfaction and joy!
Amazing, it gets better every day too!

I mean, I was weighing that $2.5k AxeFX III Mk. II Turbo Championship Edition in the cart... but it's an awfully big step. I already sold off my extant rig to afford the FM3, haha. That more than covered the FM3, but I also wanted to get some serious headphones (to also help with mixing/mastering.

(And I know that's a whole kettle of fish: I've worked in studios with great monitors, and I've mixed on Audio Technica M50x's. Liked the latter mixes better, generally. Mixing & Mastering is about familiarity as much as clarity, haha.)

That said, the fact that an FM3 really holds its price - so could be flipped towards the big one - was a major selling point. I was even doing like, prognostications on when a hypothetical AxeFX IV might come out, based on prior hardware rollouts at Fractal. Looking at used prices. Trying to not buy the thing just before the new thing comes out, you know?

After you unpack your new FM3, just keep in mind that it may take some time to get to where you want to be. But you will get there. The FM3 can do a lot. The core tones it can get are regarded as being as good as the Axe. I say core tones, because the FM3 has the limited power. So no double amps, no running some of the Plex modes without deleting other blocks etc. It can become a balancing act. For me, it seldom becomes an issue but I do hit the wall at times. I was able to sell my boss aka wife on the FM3 but the Axe would have been a stretch. At some point I will upgrade, and as you are pointing out, newer stuff will be coming. Put the rest of your money into more guitars, more switching, better monitors, better headphones. Those things will be able to follow you to the eventual upgrade. The FM3 still has legs!

You are exactly where I was - I was thinking I could save you the trouble :) if you want for the Price and sound stage get the sennheiser 660s

I have the 800S but not that much better and 4 times as much money :(

Good luck in your choice but forewarned the FM3 is very slow compared to AXE III at doing even the most basic functions such as firmware updates etc. couldn't deal with that life is to short :)

Its just way better in all aspects and worth every penny

You are exactly where I was - I was thinking I could save you the trouble :) if you want for the Price and sound stage get the sennheiser 660s

I have the 800S but not that much better and 4 times as much money :(

Good luck in your choice but forewarned the FM3 is very slow compared to AXE III at doing even the most basic functions such as firmware updates etc. couldn't deal with that life is to short :)

Its just way better in all aspects and worth every penny
My Sennheisers should be arriving at about the same time as the FM3 :)

If I follow the same path as you and decide to upgrade, it shouldn't be too much of a hit. Used FM3s seem to be going for near-new prices, and I'm sure Fractal will forgive me if I immediately change my mind, and return it to buy the big one, haha.

My Sennheisers should be arriving at about the same time as the FM3 :)

If I follow the same path as you and decide to upgrade, it shouldn't be too much of a hit. Used FM3s seem to be going for near-new prices, and I'm sure Fractal will forgive me if I immediately change my mind, and return it to buy the big one, haha.
You wont take much of a hit or any depends if you want to ship for free :) which you may not want to get expensive to send anything these days

Which Sennheisers did you buy ? thanks

I use headphone amps - sounds amazing

I got the 6XX massdrop, which I'm given to understand are basically the same thing as the 660s. I'll be using them with Sonarworks when it's mastering time, but for playing purposes, I think I'll leave them as-is.

My first open-backs.

I got the 6XX massdrop, which I'm given to understand are basically the same thing as the 660s. I'll be using them with Sonarworks when it's mastering time, but for playing purposes, I think I'll leave them as-is.

My first open-backs.

I had 6XX and 660S were bit better but you will be fine :)

@Killstring, you have your FM3 on the way. You bought that because it fit your budget. Don't let people sew the seeds of doubt about your purchase. It's a no brainer that the Axe3 will be better than the FM3. It costs over twice as much, and you still need switching. There are plenty of people here that have both, or all 3 including the FM9, and use them all. The FM3 makes great tones. There are tons of videos from some great players proving that point. I'm a tone snob, like everybody here. I built and modded my own amps for years and they sounded great. Still do, but I haven't been playing them much since getting the FM3. For users that need a lot of effects then the Axe is definitely the better purchase, but the FM3 is very good as is. There is nothing wrong with it other than processing power. And that's only an issue if you want to run more than it can handle. Some of the differences are splitting hairs. Higher quality reverb doesn't sound twice as good as the lesser quality reverb. Better yes, but not a huge difference, especially in a band situation. Standard res IR's don't sound horrible when compared to higher res IR's. The difference is so subtle it can be tough to pick out. I play with a guy that has an Axe3 and have played through it many times, and tone wise I can't hear much if any difference. Same with phones, $500 headphones aren't going to sound twice as good as $250 phones. Real differences yes, but not huge. Plenty of people here are happy using 'lesser' phones. Like that kinda lame but cool song, Don't worry, be Happy.

O.M.F.G.

I'd say why didn't anybody warn me it was this good. But y'all warned me. Still!

I've only had like, 20 minutes to mess around, literally just scrolling through a couple presets... how does this sound so good? How does it feel so effortlessly good to play?

All hyperbole I know, but damn... I barely even touched the thing, it's just... it's nice. I got lost in playing, and it's been a while.

More coherent thoughts will probably go in the reviews board in a new thread, but... gosh. My new headphones arrived a day early, so I got to use both at once, and it's just...

I think I get it now. :)

O.M.F.G.

I'd say why didn't anybody warn me it was this good. But y'all warned me. Still!

I've only had like, 20 minutes to mess around, literally just scrolling through a couple presets... how does this sound so good? How does it feel so effortlessly good to play?

All hyperbole I know, but damn... I barely even touched the thing, it's just... it's nice. I got lost in playing, and it's been a while.

More coherent thoughts will probably go in the reviews board in a new thread, but... gosh. My new headphones arrived a day early, so I got to use both at once, and it's just...

Enjoy it, in my experience it will only get better :)

O.M.F.G.

BEST piece of musical equipment I have ever had a chance to use! I tell people, imagine if you had a whole store's worth of amps and effects, and to switch between them, you just click a button!! Kids in a candy store is what we are with the FAS units!!! Congrats and welcome to your time tunnel, where life stops and Fractal moments (aka HOURS) begin!!!! BTW, LOVED your breakdown of predicted time on new FX model, similar to what I have done for other things in the past (Cubase being one of them who has a very predictable schedule and when played right, I saved a lot of money by timing my purchases and upgrades just right)!

O.M.F.G.

That was similar to my experience with the Axe-FX III. I spent a few minutes playing preset 1 and was astonished at how good it sounded and how responsive it was to picking dynamics / guitar volume control settings. I knew it was going to become the core of my rig moving forward. Nearly two years later I still feel the same way. As many have said, it is the best gear purchase I have ever made.

Hey @Killstring, if you haven’t done it yet check the firmware on your FM3. If it isn’t 5.02 you should update it. The version shows on the boot screen lower right.
Yep, came as 5.02 straight from the factory. First thing I checked, haha.
That was similar to my experience with the Axe-FX III. I spent a few minutes playing preset 1 and was astonished at how good it sounded and how responsive it was to picking dynamics / guitar volume control settings. I knew it was going to become the core of my rig moving forward. Nearly two years later I still feel the same way. As many have said, it is the best gear purchase I have ever made.
Got to spend a bit more time with it today, still just going through presets.

I've rarely played an amp that makes me want to fingerpick as much as this one does: playing with dynamics, volume knob, etc, to get those warm, cozy overdrive sounds. It's in the same league as a Fryette Deliverance in that regard - which I mean as high praise!

Back
Top Bottom