Firmware Version 10.03 Up

dk_ace said:
I had a bit of difficulty with my highest gain patches. Ymmv, but I did need to bring the hf resonance down some for those. I didn't like it at its old level or the new default. Something in the middle (a little over 3 in most cases) worked best for me. I found the best process for these patches was to rough in the master, drive, and presence (around 5 - passive), then if it was too bright or harsh I would go to the hf resonance control and reduce that until I was close to the balance I wanted. Ymmv, but that worked for my high gain sounds. Fwiw, I'm primarily in low gain sounds but I do have some heavier patches.

D
Thanks for that hint. Tried to lower the hf resonance a bit and experienced the same results. Makes gain patches even more realistic imho.

I don't know if i should believe any of you,,,,,,,lol
after reading this whole damn thread...
grrrrrr... here i go from 10.01 to .03
i'll be baack (arnold)

I've had some time to test both FRFR and through my Mesa cabs and it sounds incredible through both! Based on recommendations here to re-initialize the amp block I went ahead and did that and it is soooo much easier to dial in great tones now. I barely have to adjust anything to get great tones after initializing the amp block! That's incredible given the extensive parameters available for tweaking. All amps and FX definitely sound better overall with 10.03 and even more realistic! Thanks, Cliff!

NOTE: I'm not one with presets that 'must remain exactly how I pain-stakingly dialed them in perfectly'. I'm constantly messing with them and experimenting so it was no sweat for me to re-initialize the amp blocks and start over - even though I did not HAVE to do so.... I just know I had been in the advanced settings previously messing around. It was quite fun actually!

Scott, I'd not spent much time with the Euro Red amp sim until recently after reading you use it as one of your main amps and used to own one. It's definitely a killer amp (sim)!!

Euro Red is spectacular with the master volume up at around 8.50 and drive up to taste (I end up around 2.01). EQ the amp block in the plus - 8.0/8.8/8/9 (B/M/T/P). Add some slight boosting in front of it (I'm using filters with 2db boosts with a very soft Q (.75) and each centered around different frequencies (800hz, 1000hz and 1,200hz) and BOOM, it's a massive "chewy" sound that does *not* ever get lost in any mix and yet is not *ever* shrill or harsh. Always favored that sound in the physical world, not a surprise how much I dig it in the Axe-FX world.

I did some reassessing after popping up some clips and folks thought it was the worst of the bunch I put up. Now? Forgettaboutit. :D

I did a gig over the weekend with 10.3, and am very satisfied with the high end improvements this update brings, as well as the improved effect/workability/usability of the Presence control. I just have sense of 'correctness' regarding the high end behaviour that I've not felt previously. This firmware has a singing, natural-blending, and a more pleasing quality overall to the top end that I couldn't find before...getting the high end right will require far less effort now.

I spent a couple of hours with 10.3 before the weekend show, tweaking my gig patches, trying several amps I'm familiar with, but spent most of that time playing with cab IR's with no post-PEQ. I'm liking slightly different cabs, mic placements, etc. than the ones I usually experiment with, which is interesting...

...and that's all thru my RCF-310a; I've not tried 10.3 thru my Tannoy V12 (I'm power-amp challenged at the moment ;-), which does wonderful things when running the AFX into it. The Tannoy itself made a huge difference in the high end (among other things) vs the RCF with 10.1, so I have to get a power amp soon...

Stratoblaster said:
I did a gig over the weekend with 10.3, and am very satisfied with the high end improvements this update brings, as well as the improved effect/workability/usability of the Presence control. I just have sense of 'correctness' regarding the high end behaviour that I've not felt previously. This firmware has a singing, natural-blending, and a more pleasing quality overall to the top end that I couldn't find before...getting the high end right will require far less effort now.
+1! Exactly my own experience

I guess I need to get around to updating :lol: . I've had a bunch of gigs lately so I haven't taken the plunge. I keep getting compliments from musicians in the crowd saying how great my tone sounds, so I'm paranoid about changing it. But as I've done with each update so far, I'll load her up and see what happens :cool:

to me the improvement was significant. always used a geq at the end of the chain to boost highs some, and still do with v1.03 - but the whole thing just sounded better now.
a very well update imo.

Can anyone who plays de-tuned "djent" type stuff/rapid staccato palm-muting high gain stuff with a 7 or 8 string tell me if they've got it rocking as good as before?
I'm still on the fence...

I've always been too lazy or felt something was still not right to start fooling around more with the Axe.

Now, after almost 2 years, I'm finally all fired up :cool:
The booming bass I had in a lot of presets seems largely solved and the stock presets sound good again. And for the first time I've finally loaded a bunch of Redwirez and tried Yek's presets. With awesome results :shock:
I finally have the confidence to wholeheartedly promote it to others and am feeling the promise of finding over 80% of the sounds I'd like to get *ever*

*T*H*A*N*K*S Cliff & team and all Contributors! :)

I was loving 10.1 and wasn't going to update but I'm glad I did and man I can't believe it!! 10.3 just upped the ante.......incredible....... :cool:

A year and a half later with this thing and it continues to make me smile............greatest piece of gear I have ever purchased in 29 years of playing......just wow...... :cool:

I'm a highgain player and 10.03 sounds great to me, i didn't really notice much difference in the overall tone, bottom end is still nice and tight, but what i did notice and am really pleased about is that i am now able to produce controlled singing feedback much easier and at lower volume than before. I am totally happy with the axe in every possible way now.

Hi
anyone explain how to load firmware file into editor(tried downloading file to desktop and tried
pointing editor at the file but the only sysex file it finds in desktop is from 2009)

Don't forget to "Extract" the file after downloading, it is compressed and won't be seen by Axe Edit until you do this.

simeon said:
Scott Peterson said:
And when you hear Plexi2 (bass EQ at 2.5, Mid at 5.0, Treb at 5.0, Presence at 7.48, bright OFF).....

oh yeah!

i think this may have just replaced my usual marshall rhythm tone...

:D

:shock:

and I never bonded wih the Plexi2 before...

damn! :mrgreen:

Sometimes I think what a joke it would be if mr.Fractal would tell that the last firmware update really changes nothing, just a placebo. :mrgreen:

yek said:
Sometimes I think what a joke it would be if mr.Fractal would tell that the last firmware update really changes nothing, just a placebo. :mrgreen:

Even that would be a good thing, if it inspires you, to rework your patches. :D

I'm sure all this "I can't get it to sound right anymore" stuff derives from people that really don't know how to tweak the Axe-Fx. No offence. And people don't seem to get that this update was a step to make the Axe-Fx more like real amps in the upper register. If your ears are used to Axe-Fx sounding "not like real amps" then you won't like what real amps sound like vice versa people that are used to real amps will say that Axe-Fx doesn't sound like a real amp.

I remember when I switched from Mesa Mark series to a Roadster 3 years ago since I liked Recto tones on records. Then I couldn't "get it to sound right" and it was all because my ears were used to something else. I think it's not a good thing to only use one type of tones because your ears get used to that stuff and while it will sound good to you it'll sound weird to other people.

yek said:

I thought EXACTLY the same thing! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom