Firmware Version 10.03 Up

Some FRFR-users complaining that they're not satisfied...
Well, I'm a FRFR user and I'm satisfied.
First impression is positive.
I've been complaining a long time that through headphones and IEM's the Axe-fwas too harsh.
Oh, and I mentioned that turning down the damp in some patches did help... So someone must have been listening;-)
Now, it's a lot better and I can finally use the rectifier again ;-)
My patches sound warmer and sit better in the mix.
Thanks Cliff for continuously improving on what was already a fabulous piece of kit two years ago!

smilefan said:
I had really made 10.01 work for me. 10.03 was as if someone
had snuck into the room and rearranged all the furniture.
300+ rooms, to be exact. But, overall a very hearable improvement.
Very musical.

What I haven't been able to get yet, is a great modern metal
tone. Which is kind of the sonic opposite of 10.03. Notes popping
off the fretboard like .22 cal shells, zingy presence, crushing
sandpapery gain, an extremely "forward" feel in the mix, as if
your face was 2 inches from the speaker. Still working on getting
that to my satisfaction.

I wish there was a HF Res "active" mode, as mentioned previously,
to model the 10.01 sound. Some of us really liked that very forward
treble feel.

yea I can get some decent high gain tones, but for the bitting in your face gain that was possible in 10.01 I can't seem to get that aggressiveness. I still need to work on it I think before I throw in the towel.

Clark, are you having issues with trying to audition IR's within AxeEdit? I keep getting a "3%" bar then nothing..I can't seem to load any IR's

When I try to audition IR's it automatically replaces the slot I'm using in the Axe-Fx. I got it working now... but I can't use the IRConverter program because of the sysex thing.

I updated this evening and so far i LOVE IT. Cliff is da master!!!!! Thanks man you work so tirelessly so we all can do what we do:D

Joe

Hi everyone!
I have seen this prevention in the update instruction 10.03:
"WARNING!!!
The RME FireFace 800 can corrupt large sysex data streams and may render your Axe-Fx inoperable if used to update the firmware. We strongly advise against using the RME FireFace 800 for firmware updates. and have decided to ask here"

I have no standard midi interface and I have no a usual sound card. As a sound card I usually use mine Access Virus TI2 desktop synth.
Whether I can use the Virus TI2 desktop as a sound card for updating my FX firmware to 10.03?
With MIDI THRU?
Whether will be at me problems with updating the firmware similar with ??? FireFace 800?

Thanks big for answers.
I am newbie in a fractal world.

John.

I tried 10.03, and although I noticed a subtle put positive difference on the hi end, I had to go back to 10.01. The official editor is way too buggy for me (yes i installed last version). One day it works, the following it doesn't... I'm still using Lars editor, it's essential for me for the preset manager (I use a lot of presets for different bands) and for uploading/remembering cabs, so that's it. I'll wait for a improved/more stable version of the beta official editor I guess ;)

JohnBrooks said:
Hi everyone!
I have seen this prevention in the update instruction 10.03:
"WARNING!!!
The RME FireFace 800 can corrupt large sysex data streams and may render your Axe-Fx inoperable if used to update the firmware. We strongly advise against using the RME FireFace 800 for firmware updates." and have decided to ask here

I have no midi interface and I have no a usual sound card. As a sound card I usually use mine Access Virus TI desktop synth.
Whether I can use the Virus TI desktop as a sound card for updating my FX firmware to 10.03?
With MIDI THRU?
Whether will be at me problems with updating the firmware similar with ??? FireFace 800?

Thanks big for answers.
I am newbie in a fractal world.

John.
Hi John, welcome to the forum!
From what little I've read of Access's specs, yes, you can most likely pass the MIDI through the Virus and on to the Axe-Fx. It's extremely unlikely that the Virus has the same issue that the FF800 has -- it's a peculiar bug that rearranges the bits in the wrong order in a way that the Axe-Fx wasn't set up to detect. I haven't done follow-up testing from when I encountered it before, but I probably should just to see if RME has addressed the issue in newer firmware -- they're pretty technically adept folks and it's unfortunate that the bug crept into their software/hardware.
That said, MIDI updates via long MIDI SysEx streams often aren't a smooth ride until you get the hang of it -- there are a number of things that can go wrong, but in 99% of those cases (the FF800 bug being an example of the other 1%), it'll be something you can figure out (with our help, if you need it) and it will in no way harm your Axe-Fx.

Anyone know when axe edit firmware update section will be updated to 10.3 because mine says 10.2 (have owned ultra for two years and never could get midi ox to work for me and found axe edit to be easier but had to wait for new firmwares to be uploaded, by the way I'm a computer idiot so I realise midi ox is not at fault)
p.s. This is my first post and I have to say that the info on this forum is excellentand that the ultra is the only purchase that I ever made where the "reality" was better than the "dream". I have been lucky enough in my life to make some personally sought after purchases and with every one the dream was better than the reality except the axe-fx and this would still hold true even without the firmware upgrades :D

spider1967 said:
Anyone know when axe edit firmware update section will be updated to 10.3 because mine says 10.2 (have owned ultra for two years and never could get midi ox to work for me and found axe edit to be easier but had to wait for new firmwares to be uploaded, by the way I'm a computer idiot so I realise midi ox is not at fault)
axe edit will work with firmware 10.03, you don't have to worry about that. all the changes made in 10.03 are under the hood. there are no new or changed parameters you can access with the editor or the front panel since 10.02

spider1967 said:
...the ultra is the only purchase that I ever made where the "reality" was better than the "dream".
Spot on! +1!

fremen said:
I tried 10.03, and although I noticed a subtle put positive difference on the hi end, I had to go back to 10.01. The official editor is way too buggy for me (yes i installed last version). One day it works, the following it doesn't... I'm still using Lars editor, it's essential for me for the preset manager (I use a lot of presets for different bands) and for uploading/remembering cabs, so that's it. I'll wait for a improved/more stable version of the beta official editor I guess ;)

I moved to 10.03 as well, and while I don't really want to downgrade back to 10.01, I'm in the same boat as you regarding the Lars Editor. Maybe there is a small change that could be done in 10.04 and add the old sysex id as a choice in the Axe-Fx so that the choices would be "00-00-7d" or "00-01-74". Those who like working with Axe-Edit stays on the the current sysex id, and those who want to still use Lars Editor could use the previous sysex id.

Alright, I upgraded on Friday and dialed in patches that night.

I tweaked a few by messing with the existing preset, but I had the best and fastest results by just resetting the amp block and starting from scratch. I'm shocked at how quick and easy it is to dial in the amp sounds now. I think that the only advanced parameter I touched was the hf resonance.

The presence control is much improved IMO. The combination
of the highs, presence, and hf resonance controls provides a level of control over the high end that I have never had with a tube amp. I'm now able to achieve a level of clarity, brightness, and balance in the highs that I've only found in the best of the best tube amps, but I can get it in each and every patch.

I was happy with my sounds before, but this is just ridiculously good. There have been a very few tube amps that I've played that blew me away with the clarity of the highs without harshness. This week, I hav achieved that with all my main patches. I've never been happier with my sounds with any rig.

I've gigged the patches twice now, and the rest of the band as well as the mix engineers are raving about how perfect the sounds are.

I had a bit of difficulty with my highest gain patches. Ymmv, but I did need to bring the hf resonance down some for those. I didn't like it at its old level or the new default. Something in the middle (a little over 3 in most cases) worked best for me. I found the best process for these patches was to rough in the master, drive, and presence (around 5 - passive), then if it was too bright or harsh I would go to the hf resonance control and reduce that until I was close to the balance I wanted. Ymmv, but that worked for my high gain sounds. Fwiw, I'm primarily in low gain sounds but I do have some heavier patches.

D

voes said:
spider1967 said:
axe edit will work with firmware 10.03, you don't have to worry about that. all the changes made in 10.03 are Punder the hood. there are no new or changed parameters you can access with the editor or the front panel since 10.02

spider1967 said:
...the ultra is the only purchase that I ever made where the "reality" was better than the "dream".
Spot on! +1!
Cheers PP for the speedy reply but my problem is that when I deleted and then re-installed the editor last night and went to firmware update section it says that it is 10.2 so surely if I click on that firmware file then surely all I'm getting is 10.2. Please excuse my ignorance if this is not the case.

spider1967 said:
voes said:
spider1967 said:
Cheers PP for the speedy reply but my problem is that when I deleted and then re-installed the editor last night and went to firmware update section it says that it is 10.2 so surely if I click on that firmware file then surely all I'm getting is 10.2. Please excuse my ignorance if this is not the case.

You have to download 10.03 firmware, and point the editor to it.

Back
Top Bottom