Firmware Version 10.03 Up

GM Arts said:
You may already know this: a setting of 5 for presence is "no presence", 5 to 10 on the AxeFX works like 0 to 10 on a real amp. 0 to 5 on the AxeFX is hi-cut in the power amp sim, not available on real amps.

Where did you get that?
To my knowledge, presence on noon = value of 0 represents a value of 0 on an amp = presence off.
Negative values work like a high cut and this is not available on your common physical amp.
Positive values, e.g. >0 to 10 work just like the numbers on the amp. A-Fx presence on 5 = amp's presence on 5.

Sebastian said:
GM Arts said:
You may already know this: a setting of 5 for presence is "no presence", 5 to 10 on the AxeFX works like 0 to 10 on a real amp. 0 to 5 on the AxeFX is hi-cut in the power amp sim, not available on real amps.

Where did you get that?
To my knowledge, presence on noon = value of 0 represents a value of 0 on an amp = presence off.
Negative values work like a high cut and this is not available on your common physical amp.
Positive values, e.g. >0 to 10 work just like the numbers on the amp. A-Fx presence on 5 = amp's presence on 5.

+1

Dutch said:
So, what do the Fenderologists think of this? Everyone was really happy with the added sparkle of the previous large update.
Has that been negated by this one or is the sparkle still attainable?

I'm also very curious about this. The Twin patch I posted here a few weeks ago was downloaded by a good amount of users. Do the guys who use that patch and switched to 10.03 hear a big difference?

Sebastian said:
GM Arts said:

Where did you get that?

Sorry, what I wrote is confusing - I was explaining along the lines of both the AxeFX "dial" and real amp dial going from 0 to 10. You've explained it more clearly, ta. Wasn't sure if the person I replied to was taking that effect into account. cheers :D

On the fence about installing this update after reading these replies. I'll keep my eye on this thread for more reviews from those that upgrade!

Gencives said:
shredi knight said:
Gencives said:
is it possible to downgrade to 10.01 ?

Yes.
great, tonight i go back :)

I'm probably going back tonight too (at least until Cliff rights this ship and comes out with 10.04 - We know you won't let us down Cliff!!!! :mrgreen: ).

High gain/Metal players:

The thorn in Cliff Chase's side since 2007

I'm very curious how you guys have dialed in your presets.

I've updated to 10.03. I have loads of top end headroom with clean sims (Brownface, Vox w/bright sw.: treble at noon, zero Presence).
And no problems with higher gain sims, such as Shiva LD and Uber, with treble at noon and Presence at 5.

Using Red Wire CapEdgeOffAxis IRs.

yek said:

I've updated to 10.03. I have loads of top end headroom with clean sims (Brownface, Vox w/bright sw.: treble at noon, zero Presence).
And no problems with higher gain sims, such as Shiva LD and Uber, with treble at noon and Presence at 5.

I tested my clean patches and those actually sounded very good (via my headphones)... it's my high gain patches that have been affected... I will test everything out with my live rig hopefully tonight.

This really is a strange one... I tried it for a bit, but went back to 10 until I have more time to re-tweak everything (and that's actually the first time ever I have done that since FW 5 !). I'm not sure what's going on, but I really wasn't impressed. Don't know if this is more true to the original amps or if a little mistake sneaked into Cliff's numbers. I found myself having to resort to extreme Presence settings and engaged Bright switches I'd never use on a real amp. I definitely need to give it another in depth go at some point, but (this could be just mood related) what I heard was very uninspiring to me, at least today...

After playing several hours with this new firmware I come to the conclusion that after 9.03 this is, tone and sound wise, the best update so far. No more harsh high ends and still crystal clear. Yes, building new patches is necessary but the result is even more awesome!

Me like it a lot! :mrgreen:

So thanks Fractal for develop this firmware based on the 9.03 firmware.

I played with it some last night and really liked it, but I'm not a metalhead (a boosted JCM800 is about as metal as I get). Before this update I felt like I was lowering presence and turning off the bright switch where I wouldn't expect to on the real world counterpart of the model. Fender models still sound good to me too. I'm also in the middle of reworking all of my patches so having to tweak a few isn't an issue.

VegaBaby said:
This really is a strange one... I tried it for a bit, but went back to 10 until I have more time to re-tweak everything (and that's actually the first time ever I have done that since FW 5 !). I'm not sure what's going on, but I really wasn't impressed. Don't know if this is more true to the original amps or if a little mistake sneaked into Cliff's numbers. I found myself having to resort to extreme Presence settings and engaged Bright switches I'd never use on a real amp. I definitely need to give it another in depth go at some point, but (this could be just mood related) what I heard was very uninspiring to me, at least today...

This firmware does seem to be a bit of a step backwards. Almost everyone raved when the HF RES was added and loved the new clarity and chime it brought to their tones (ironically, I wasn't one of them, but I came around :roll: ). That now seems to be largely negated by this change. Seems like more disappointment that raves, and you never see that when a new firmware comes out. People are usually flipping over with joy on here with how great they think a change to the amp block is.

Hopefully Cliff will maybe find a remedy that will make everyone happy.

DADA said:
After playing several hours with this new firmware I come to the conclusion that after 9.03 this is, tone and sound wise, the best update so far. No more harsh high ends and still crystal clear. Yes, building new patches is necessary but the result is even more awesome!

Dude, if you were on 9.03, and have not experienced 10.01, then you won't know what you are missing with 10.03. 10.01 in my experience was the best update to date.

The difference is hard to explain. The last updates took away the blanket and gave us clarity but I always had some strange metallic noise when playing 1/16 notes palm muted on the lower strings (my guitars are tuned to D or C). I could hear too much of the string/plectrum movements.
Now this kind of string rattle is gone and I can turn up presence to my taste. That was my first impression of 10.03 yesterday.

Q: Is it just me or do I need more gain now to get some saturated metal rhythm sounds?

shredi knight said:
Seems like more disappointment that raves, and you never see that when a new firmware comes out. People are usually flipping over with joy on here with how great they think a change to the amp block is.

Hopefully Cliff will maybe find a remedy that will make everyone happy.

Are you sure about that? Re-read the thread and count those who like the new firmware:

DADA, marshall2553, sebastian, joegold, mark_melling, dpeterson, RB_guitar, Enzo Sutera, SimonSez

Those who dislike it:

shrediknight, rsf1977, Gencives

And that doesn't count the people that aren't saying anything, which is usually good.

yek said:

Just spent a lunch hour blowing at 110db with 10.03. Anyone not going to this (though I am NOT a metal player!) out of 'fear' is crazy. Shredi doesn't go FRFR and is primarily a metal guy; so take that into consideration when hesitating to even try this firmware.

Cliff just made this thing drop dead simple to dial in. I am totally in Yek's corner here.

Go back to your HF Resonance of 5.00. Amps without presence, just leave at noon (or use as a cut in Class A type of amp blocks (Dr. Z, Matchless, Vox, etc). If you have an amp block with presence control in the analog counterpart, then take it to a 'start' setting of around 5.00. All EQ start at noon in the amp block. Set gain and MV to taste. Set EQ and Presence to taste. Viola. Welcome to 10.03.

Quick, easy and your high end will have more character and bite without annoying unnatural 'edge'. The top is smooth and shimmering now.

It's a noticeable difference. For the better. You'll hear it most using single coils and using a sharp attack on the strings to get transients jumping. Dynamically the top end just breathes better, reacting to your picking dynamics in a noticeably more open way.

And when you hear Plexi2 (bass EQ at 2.5, Mid at 5.0, Treb at 5.0, Presence at 7.48, bright OFF) it will curl your toes and make you laugh out loud. Don't do this with your wife or girlfriend close-by or you will be sleeping on the couch. :shock: :D

Check at stage volumes and tell me I'm crazy. Hint: I'm not crazy.

The main factor that's been consistent since I've owned the Axe-FX (June 2007) is the clarity of the top end; you only get that in the good amps out there; well dialed amps with good tubes in them. Now? You get more of it. Clarity HD. :eek: :cool:

I played with 10.03 for a while and here's my subjective take on it. I felt 10.01 brought a great deal of clarity and presence to the amp sims that seemed to be missing, but I also thought it added some unnatural things as well. In my high gain patches I couldn't really dial out this "stringy" kind of attack in the top end it was really irritating in 10.01.

Now I have upgraded to 10.03. It's noticeably darker, but thank god that unnatural top end is gone. I think the presence control seem to have less effect on certain amps and in order to get extra I need to switch to active in some cases like the recto new sim. There's one thing I'm unsure of, are the high gain amps sound a little less saturated then before? ls the gain different? Did something effect that too?

DADA said:

+1

Back
Top Bottom