Firmware Version 10.03 Up

mortega76 said:
Has anyone "heard" a difference with the new HF Resonance fixes?

Yes, and unfortunately it's not for the better. My patches now sound like they have a blanket over them, regardless of how I have the Damp set. The welcome clarity and brightness that the HF RES added when it was made part of the amp block's advanced parameters is now gone. Turning it up (even all the way to 10.00) doesn't get it back to sounding how it did before. It still sounds somewhat dark and muffled. YMMV

I'm going to experiment with turning the amp block's Presence (and maybe Treble) control up more today to see if I can get things sounding back to normal.

What makes the Axe-FX special is that is goes beyond 10 to 10.03. That .03 better than 10.00. While other modelers may go to 10 (few ever do, well, Line6 has had ten different versions of its original POD models, that doesn't count), the Axe-FX goes to 10.03. Can't wait until it goes to ELEVEN. Wait, ProTools already has an ELEVEN. Fractal should just skip ELEVEN and go directly to TWELVE. That would be one better.

shredi knight said:
mortega76 said:

Yes, and unfortunately it's not for the better. My patches now sound like they have a blanket over them, regardless of how I have the Damp set. The welcome clarity and brightness that the HF RES added when it was made part of the amp block's advanced parameters is now gone. Turning it up (even all the way to 10.00) doesn't get it back to sounding how it did before. It still sounds somewhat dark and muffled. YMMV

I'm going to experiment with turning the amp block's Presence (and maybe Treble) control up more today to see if I can get things sounding back to normal.

Do you notice the "blanket" even in patches where you did not mess with the HF resonance? I use only a few patches and I don't remember ever changing the default values. Do you think I'll hear a difference as well?

Interesting.. I'm one of the guys that loved the extra 'chime' on the Fenders but didn't like it on the higher gain amps, which led to Cliff giving us the HF Resonance control to adjust to taste. I always thought something didn't quite sound 'pre-chime', even with the HF Res backed off..

I won't get a chance to try this for a few days though.. too much work!

shredi knight said:
mortega76 said:

"under certain combinations of parameter values (damping and presence)" sounds to me like it should only affect certain settings of these two. That your tones get the blanket does not sound promising, unless for some strange coincidence you exactly hit these "certain" settings...

Maybe it's just me or my ears, but now I think my high gain sounds are darker than before.
But in a positive way because I had some "chimey-treble-issues" before with some of the high gain settings.

RB_Guitar said:
Maybe it's just me or my ears, but now I think my high gain sounds are darker than before.
But in a positive way because I had some "chimey-treble-issues" before with some of the high gain settings.

Yeah it could be my imagination but things sound a bit darker to me too. I increased the presence on my rhythm distortion patch by 2.00 after the update, I think it sounds better than before. I won't know until I record something.

Things will be, in general, slightly darker but the presence control will be more effective and overall tones will be less harsh.

FractalAudio said:
Things will be, in general, slightly darker but the presence control will be more effective and overall tones will be less harsh.
Greatly looking forward to updating to 10.03!! Thanks for chiming in Cliff!

VegaBaby said:
shredi knight said:
mortega76 said:

"under certain combinations of parameter values (damping and presence)" sounds to me like it should only affect certain settings of these two. That your tones get the blanket does not sound promising, unless for some strange coincidence you exactly hit these "certain" settings...

Then again shredi is known for hearing things that are not there..... :lol:
Like shunts sounding different the first row vs shunts on second row (or something like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

FractalAudio said:

9.03 note: "The HF RESONANCE control is especially effective at brightening or darkening the amp model. The default value is 5.00 which is a relative value of 1.0 for each amp model’s actual high-frequency resonance. Reducing this value to 2.5, for example, will lower the high-frequency resonance and give most of the high-gain amps the same high-frequency resonance as version 9.00 firmware."

Is this note still valid for 10.03, or does the 10.03 change mean that it's okay now to leave HF RES at default?
Probably someone will say "use your ears", but I'd like to know anyway.

Hmmm... with the "presence fix" in one of the last updates, I was finally getting controlled feedback the way I wanted, and I could make some notes almost sound like a Sustainer had been engaged... is this going to go away with this update ? if so... :(

flyingfadr said:
Hmmm... with the "presence fix" in one of the last updates, I was finally getting controlled feedback the way I wanted, and I could make some notes almost sound like a Sustainer had been engaged... is this going to go away with this update ? if so... :(

Why speculate? Just try it out.

My tone is pretty much perfect now. I always found something a little harsh in the 2K - 4K range, now it sounds perfect to me. Also it seems like you can turn up the presence a lot more and it will still sound great.

SimonSez said:
flyingfadr said:

My tone is pretty much perfect now. I always found something a little harsh in the 2K - 4K range, now it sounds perfect to me. Also it seems like you can turn up the presence a lot more and it will still sound great.
I too have heard something "harsh" in the high freq (with the last couple of updates)... and now I'm excited to install this latest update!

Didn't download the new firmware because I'm still on Lars editor, and it seems that 10.02 brought that user cab loading problem. Something about changed sysex header or something. Still an issue with 10.03 if I'm still waiting for Axe-Edit to get out of beta?

SimonSez said:
flyingfadr said:

Not speculating... just asking to see if anyone else hears this.... if it's going away, I DON'T WANT to update !... I finally have it the way I like it...

dpeterson said:
Sebastian said:
I'm on 10.01
Do I have to install 10.02 first and then 10.03 because of the sysex ID change in 10.02 ?

no they are retroactive.

Thanks! Worked flawlessly indeed.

And THANKS to Cliff for constant improvement!

I've to wait till wednesday and rehearsal with my band, before I can crank the volume and judge the HF correction.

FractalAudio said:
Wow, I'm looking forward to this now :D . I'd recently been dabbling with a PEQ plus a Filter block for a brickwall LPF effect to tame that bit of harshness in my higher gain patches - probably can go back to just the PEQ now. Busy time of the year at the moment for re-tweaking though, so will probably have to wait a few weeks :( .

"Fixed incorrect calculation in amp block HF Resonance which results in too much HF Resonance under certain combinations of parameter values (damping and presence)."

To me, this really tightens up many of the things that have been bothering me since 9.03.
Eg. The default Advanced Parameter values for the DoubleVerb sound *much more* like a real Twin to me now when the bright Switch is engaged.
This was *WAY* too bright before. Now it's just a bit too bright but that's probably due to the EVM-12L I'm using.
But overall it's much more like a real Twin now.
Now I can go into the Advanced Parameters when I want to make this sound like some sort of modded Twin, whereas before I had to go in there just to make it sound like a real Twin.

The Mesa MKIV and MKII sims sound much more like the original amps sounded with the same knob positions on the real amp vs the Axe too.

I do have one preset though where the Deluxe sim seems to be a bit darker sounding than what I'd expect from a real Deluxe, but I haven't had time to mess with it much yet. I'm sure I'll be able to dial in something equally as nice or better than what I had before.

Nice one Cliff.

I still have a thump when switching between a preset with a hi-gain amp sim and a preset with a clean amp sim when I sustain a note or chord though.
Cliff has suggested that this must be due to some sort of a setting issue in my presets, but I have yet to discover what those settings might be.
I was hoping the Uber anti-thump fix in this update might also solve my issue, but no.

emperor_black said:
Do you notice the "blanket" even in patches where you did not mess with the HF resonance? I use only a few patches and I don't remember ever changing the default values. Do you think I'll hear a difference as well?

All my patches have the HF at default.

VegaBaby said:

It sounds different than before, even with everything at default (but Cliff has already said things will sound darker). The HF seems a lot less effective than before, like it has less range. Hopefully adding more presence will remedy things.

AlbertA said:
Then again shredi is known for hearing things that are not there..... :lol:
Like shunts sounding different the first row vs shunts on second row (or something like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

No, shredi is able to hear things that other, less advanced people (like yourself), can not. :mrgreen: And it wasn't row 1 of shunts sounds different than row 2 of shunts. :roll:

..............I wonder if they do sound different than each other though? :p

Back
Top Bottom