Finally got to hear it, play it, and love it.

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
Short version: Fractal modeling rules!

Long version:

I've never played through or used any Fractal Audio gear until now. I've been obsessing over the FX8 and now the AX8 for almost a year now. I'm on the AX8 list (take my money!). I've provided some help here on the forums mainly via studying the manuals and the Wiki. I'm surprised how many players don't read the manual.

Tonight, I finally got to hear an Axe FX II XL+ with Quantum v1.00. A local player mentioned that he owned one (there aren't very many in the Tucson area) and he was gracious enough to bring it down to the large church where I'm FOH engineer and TD. We plugged into the L-Acoustics PA and dialed some stuff up at full volume, it sounded stunning to say the least.

He hadn't had time to dial in any presets (fairly recent purchase), so we started with the factory sounds, scrolling through via the MFC-101. In no time at all, hooked up Axe-Edit and built a preset from scratch. I started with a Blues Junior (fat channel) since we had one sitting there to compare to, and just matched the knobs. Sounded awesome! The real Junior was hooked into an offstage hand-built closed-back 2x12 with British V30s - is there a factory cab with similar configuration?

Then he asked for a way to loop a clean rhythm that he could play dirty leads over. I added a mixer block, looper block, amp 2 and cab 2, and then attached a couple modifiers on the Mixer block to Scene Controller 1 so that Scene 1 was the Blues Junior and Scene 2 was a Friedman BE, both going into the Looper. I know I could have used X/Y or just disabled either amp per scene, but I wanted to also show him how he could crossfade between the two with an expression pedal. Added a Studio Comp and dialed in the settings I use on my Empress Compressor, and a BB Pre with the drive very low for some sweet boosty goodness. He requested a little chorus on the clean, and I suggested a little analog delay on the dirty. A touch of Studio C on everything. I was impressed with everything I heard (and this guy has fantastic chops, which helped. My chops aren't terrible but not nearly as fun). The only thing I couldn't figure out on the fly was how to control the looper block via the MFC. I assume there's a dedicated looper mode. I know the MIDI CC's to use, but didn't know enough about the MFC to program those CC's to IA switches. So I controlled the looper for him via Axe-Edit.

Other amp models played through (sorry I can't remember all the fake names, so real names are used to protect the innocent): AC15TB, Morgan AC-20, Bassman, Plexi 100W Jumped, Carol-Ann Tucana, Mesa Subway Blues (that's the closest approximation to the Maverick that is dear to my heart), and the Mesa Mark IIc+. Tried a bunch of the factory IRs as well, and tried to stick with matching amp/cab combinations (but occasionally strayed). The Axe FX realllllly excels at the bluesy, edge-of-breakup tones. Holy dirty strat, Batman!

Advanced amp/cab settings I played with: power supply sag, cathode squish, room level, air level. Cool stuff. I'm used to Class A and tube rectos, so stuff needs to feel squishy and chewy.

I quickly put together another preset with parallel delays (dotted 8th 2290 and 1/4 digital mono), both into a parallel shimmer (multidelay plexi shift into ambience reverb), and all into a Medium Room verb. That was a whole lotta fun right there. Over the PA, I couldn't really hear much difference between high quality and normal quality, even though our L-Acoustics rig has tremendous clarity and definition. However, I plugged in headphones a little later, and the high quality Medium Room and Studio C are so much better than the built-in verbs on our house console (a $30k CL5). It's not even funny. We need to add outboard verb plugins apparently.

Bottom line: I can't afford an XL+, but I am more excited than ever to pick up an AX8 and join the Fractal family.

Short version: Fractal modeling rules!

Long version:

I've never played through or used any Fractal Audio gear until now. I've been obsessing over the FX8 and now the AX8 for almost a year now. I'm on the AX8 list (take my money!). I've provided some help here on the forums mainly via studying the manuals and the Wiki. I'm surprised how many players don't read the manual.

Tonight, I finally got to hear an Axe FX II XL+ with Quantum v1.00. A local player mentioned that he owned one (there aren't very many in the Tucson area) and he was gracious enough to bring it down to the large church where I'm FOH engineer and TD. We plugged into the L-Acoustics PA and dialed some stuff up at full volume, it sounded stunning to say the least.

He hadn't had time to dial in any presets (fairly recent purchase), so we started with the factory sounds, scrolling through via the MFC-101. In no time at all, hooked up Axe-Edit and built a preset from scratch. I started with a Blues Junior (fat channel) since we had one sitting there to compare to, and just matched the knobs. Sounded awesome! The real Junior was hooked into an offstage hand-built closed-back 2x12 with British V30s - is there a factory cab with similar configuration?

Then he asked for a way to loop a clean rhythm that he could play dirty leads over. I added a mixer block, looper block, amp 2 and cab 2, and then attached a couple modifiers on the Mixer block to Scene Controller 1 so that Scene 1 was the Blues Junior and Scene 2 was a Friedman BE, both going into the Looper. I know I could have used X/Y or just disabled either amp per scene, but I wanted to also show him how he could crossfade between the two with an expression pedal. Added a Studio Comp and dialed in the settings I use on my Empress Compressor, and a BB Pre with the drive very low for some sweet boosty goodness. He requested a little chorus on the clean, and I suggested a little analog delay on the dirty. A touch of Studio C on everything. I was impressed with everything I heard (and this guy has fantastic chops, which helped. My chops aren't terrible but not nearly as fun). The only thing I couldn't figure out on the fly was how to control the looper block via the MFC. I assume there's a dedicated looper mode. I know the MIDI CC's to use, but didn't know enough about the MFC to program those CC's to IA switches. So I controlled the looper for him via Axe-Edit.

Other amp models played through (sorry I can't remember all the fake names, so real names are used to protect the innocent): AC15TB, Morgan AC-20, Bassman, Plexi 100W Jumped, Carol-Ann Tucana, Mesa Subway Blues (that's the closest approximation to the Maverick that is dear to my heart), and the Mesa Mark IIc+. Tried a bunch of the factory IRs as well, and tried to stick with matching amp/cab combinations (but occasionally strayed). The Axe FX realllllly excels at the bluesy, edge-of-breakup tones. Holy dirty strat, Batman!

Advanced amp/cab settings I played with: power supply sag, cathode squish, room level, air level. Cool stuff. I'm used to Class A and tube rectos, so stuff needs to feel squishy and chewy.

I quickly put together another preset with parallel delays (dotted 8th 2290 and 1/4 digital mono), both into a parallel shimmer (multidelay plexi shift into ambience reverb), and all into a Medium Room verb. That was a whole lotta fun right there. Over the PA, I couldn't really hear much difference between high quality and normal quality, even though our L-Acoustics rig has tremendous clarity and definition. However, I plugged in headphones a little later, and the high quality Medium Room and Studio C are so much better than the built-in verbs on our house console (a $30k CL5). It's not even funny. We need to add outboard verb plugins apparently.

Bottom line: I can't afford an XL+, but I am more excited than ever to pick up an AX8 and join the Fractal family.

You will not be disappointed in the AX8, as it is the same code as the AXE-FX. The AX8 is going to be in a lot of churches next year. I live in Arizona as well, and as you know there is a church on every Corner it seems out here. I will be making plenty of stops in other churches, since I know a large percentage of worship leaders in Peoria and phoenix.

(hoping the ax8 has a looper)

It does. you can assign anyone of the looper CC's to any one of the actual switches. That's great, because I don't use every looper CC. Hopefully you understand what I mean by CC. I mean the different looper functions record, play etc-.

It does. you can assign anyone of the looper CC's to any one of the actual switches. That's great, because I don't use every looper CC. Hopefully you understand what I mean by CC. I mean the different looper functions record, play etc-.

continuous controller, yes. Thanks Scott! So, can you tell me how much looper time is available on the ax8?

continuous controller, yes. Thanks Scott! So, can you tell me how much looper time is available on the ax8?

I'm not sure about the looper time unfortunately, we all should know soon enough. Enjoy your Ax8 when you get it, you will be like a little school kid with his first crush.

Day 4 followup of messing around with an XL+:

On Day 2 I tried using the Mic + DI method to shoot an IR of my Mesa Maverick 2x12. You may have heard Mavericks before but I retubed it at one point, and got real specific with the preamp tubes. Also cleaned up the insides. I get compliments on my tone every time I play, and it definitely is not just my hands. So the idea is I want to replicate her. I know how to mic up a 2x12 - she sounded awesome as usual through the PA. Offstage so I'm only hearing the mics. However - as there isn't a proper FX loop, I decided to go into to the front of the amp for the shoot, hoping that the Mic + DI magic would remove any EQ and coloring (this was on the clean rhythm channel). I was wrong. The IR came out with no low end, which makes sense since I've got the low end rolled off on the amp. Facepalm to myself. I kept skimming through other IRs to use, but lost a bit of the magic from Day 1 (probably because it took so long to set up the IR shoot that didn't pan out).

I'll try reshooting again with a solid state power amp (I have plenty large power amps around, just need to set levels so I don't blow the drivers) and report back. Re: amp selection - now that I've played through it, the Subway Blues definitely feels like a different preamp tonestack than the Maverick - but I already wishlisted the Maverick, so not much else I can do there.

Day 3 - I started working on a preset template (that's the real goal here, getting this thing usable by the owner). This time I was monitoring in the home studio, and I was left happier again (much better than the Day 2 disappointments). Trivially easy to get DMM delay sounds (the unit is still on 1.00, so we don't have the new delay types, but didn't need 'em). Found a factory IR that sounded pretty good - F074, which happens to be 4 of those Mesa V30s in a closed back cab.

Day 4 - Going through each preset to get familiar with all of the different amps (many of which I've only heard of and never played through). Carol Ann OD-2 might just end up being my go-to chunky rhythm tone. Question - does anyone else feel like the reverb that's on by default in each preset is just a bit too much? Maybe it's ready to go for a full mix, but I'm feeling reverbed out at the moment. Too much of a good thing maybe?

When does the AX8 start shipping? ;-P

Update a couple months in:

I haven't really touched my Maverick except a couple times at home. I still don't have my AX8 but I've got regular access to an XL+.

And oh, the tonez!

Tonight I had a church service (fairly large 1800 seat venue), and when we were finished, a guy came up to me and asked if the lead guitar parts were really me or if they were coming from backing tracks. I told him, "it was me playing it all, but I have to give 90% of the credit to this black box over here..." Seriously, that's a huge compliment to Fractal Audio when the tone sounds like studio recorded guitars.

Here are some details on the setup. I don't have recordings with me to post, but I might be able to snag them tomorrow if I remember.

My amp flavor of the week was the Trainwreck (Wrecker) Liverpool, with just a few tweaks to the tone knobs and pulling the drive down to about 1.00 to clean it up.

Amp 1 Y (for one specific song) was FAS Modern, not too gainy, for probably the heaviest tone I've used this decade.

The IR I used for both Amp X and Y was the 65 Vox 2x12 57/122 from @indeloon85 - great stuff.

I used one preset per song but with the same global amp and cab. I also switched to using the Dual Delay (with EQ and Mod settings copied from the Deluxe Mind Guy), so I could get all of my parallel and serial delay configs from a single block.

For reverb, London Plate in parallel with about 6% input gain was all I needed. For shimmer reverb, I opted for a smeary Plex Shift feeding directly into that same London Plate (so no dry path). This was very subtle on most songs.

I didn't use Axe drives or compression - instead, I used pedalboard gear as a trial for when the AX8 comes. That's my save-some-CPU strategy. I'd rather use Axe reverbs than outboard - they're a cornerstone of Fractal quality. Plus, drive pedals are very personal and help shape each guitarists own "sound," and I've already spent a long time dialing my drives into multi-stage perfection.

In all of these patches, I had a separate path for the rhythm guitarist, who used all effects from his board into a clean Deluxe Verb Vib and factory cab 121 Triptik Mix.

The thing I noticed most tonight was the clarity in my IEMs. I love the amp-in-the-room sound and feel, but I didn't miss it at all tonight. My guitars sounded how they did on my studio monitors at home, and the house sounded the same when I strolled out there for a listen during soundcheck. That's a milestone.

Back
Top Bottom