Finally Fully FRFR

Snouttrout

Inspired
After years of trying every imaginable permutation or running my rig--AXE -> FOH and Matrix Power with real cab; AXE in 4CM with my real JP2C amp; AXE in FX only mode with real JP2C amp and cab; AXE into the the FX loop only of my JP2C amp, and fully FRFR--I have finally settled on the using FRFR only. I am currently using the JP2C amp model and a tube screamer boost model with the legacy Citrus V30 mix IR. The key for me was using a low cut of 120 Hz and high cut of 4800 Hz, which I play very loudly with my band. I have never been happier. If I could change one thing that I've done, I would not have bought such expensive FRFR cabs (latest atomic CLRs) because it sounds great with even my least expensive EV monitors. In fact, I use a pair of my EVs in the band room and it's incredibly loud with such a great sound.

Initially, I thought the 4CM with my JP2C amp would be the ideal setup for me. But, there are several disadvantages: it's certainty more noisy; more difficult to setup; takes more time to setup; and this is the most difficult thing for me admit...the real amp sound does not sound better to my ears anymore. I'm preferring the AXE. For example, I prefer to use the AXE with the presence switch on with a tube screamer boost. At the high volumes I play, the real amp will feed back, but I amp not having that problem with the AXE. I do have noise suppression on, but I'm not using an aggressive gate. I also really love the fat switch for leads, which the amp doesn't have. I can also tweak to my liking a bit more than the real amp...not the that real amp sounds bad by any means. But the Axe is not only easier to setup, it also sounds amazing with beautiful effects. I'm so happy! The final thing that made the AxeFx perfect for me was the seamless switching between amp channels and all of the other blocks. After that update, it's really hard to beat any of my units, and I have the FM3, FM9, and AxeFx3. All awesome.

Back
Top Bottom