Fender Tone Master FR10

A small error in the message, it is Blueamp which manufactures the CUBO.
It's a small Stereo FRFR amp equipped with 2 8" speakers with axial tweeter mounted in bass reflex
the speakers are powered by a class D amp, it seems to me, 2X 130W rms.
I had the FR-10 and the Cubo side by side last week; so I did a little comparative test by playing alternately on the 2 amps, a funky little loop in the style of Corry Wong, that's what I'm preparing at the moment.
The underlying question for me was whether or not I should keep the FR-10, knowing that I was already quite unhappy with the hiss generated by the amp.
Sound test done at home volume.
Overall the rendering of the 2 amps was quite similar with a slight preference for the CUBO which seemed more punchy to me.
The only judgment was my ears so it's very subjective.
My listening distance was approximately quite close, so advantage to the CUBO's co-axial tweeter in this situation.
In general I have a preference for rather tight guitar sounds without too much bass, so 8 or 10" speakers are my preference, I find that the guitar fits better in a group with a lot of musicians
I haven’t really tried it at low volume because that’s really not the point of it for me. When I play at lower volume I plug into my studio monitors.

I think expecting anything designed to be like a loud guitar amp to sound amazing at low volumes is just not realistic. I think they still sound very good.

How does the FR-10 sound at very low volume?

I ask because I’m not happy with my Fender Tone Master Deluxe at low volume. On the .2 watt setting, with channel volume at 5-8 or so and guitar up full, the sound is mushy. At .5 watts it sounds glorious, but I often want a lower volume than that.

If the FR-10 sounds good at low volume, I'll want one to use with my FM3 instead of my studio monitors.
You'll need to adjust the treble and bass when dropping the volume like that, otherwise you'll fall prey to the Fletcher-Munson effect. Odds are good that's affecting what you're hearing. Another issue could be that the speaker is designed to sound good at louder volume so it's not in its happy place.

How does the FR-10 sound at very low volume?
It sound like: sssssssssss. 😂

I kid, I kid. Seriously though at very low volumes the hiss might bother you.
If the FR-10 sounds good at low volume, I'll want one to use with my FM3 instead of my studio monitors.
I haven't tried the 10, but the FR-12 does sound excellent at low volume. But I feel like "instead of my studio monitors" is maybe not the best way to think of it.

If you're like most, the studio monitors will be up on your desk about ear level, and maybe 3 feet away give or take. It's hard to beat a good set of studio monitors in that situation. I have Yamah HS7s and added a matching sub. I added it for use with streaming music and for my synths but I find it helps with the FM9 as well.

The FRs are better suited to being on the floor and a bit further away--maybe 6 feet or more.

The FR10 looks very appealing. Think I would have preferred that they went with a coaxial speaker instead. Might have to overlook that preference though.

I remember hearing in a dave Friedman interview about Jake E Lee when building his signature amp, that Jake likes to put his amps behind him, facing him (his back) but in a V formation. I’m tempted to try this with a pair of fender fr12 or fr10s since they’re not too expensive or too big/heavy. By any chance has anyone tried this with the fender FRs? To clarify, picture a V with the open part of the V facing towards your back while you play. I thin Dave mentioned that Jake E Lee will also often stand inside the V to catch the sound but maybe I misunderstood that part. I’ll try to find the video later after work to post it here haha

I'm curious about how the FM10 (or FM12) would pair with my PXM12MP?

I am enjoying them together...lean a little to the right for the cab feel and to the left (PXM) for the high fidelity concert house sound...I try to live in the middle for the best of both worlds.
I may get another FR10 and put the PXM in the middle for W/D/W use or I may get a Blueamp Cube to put in the middle and use it for jamming around on it's own.

I remember hearing in a dave Friedman interview about Jake E Lee when building his signature amp, that Jake likes to put his amps behind him, facing him (his back) but in a V formation. I’m tempted to try this with a pair of fender fr12 or fr10s since they’re not too expensive or too big/heavy. By any chance has anyone tried this with the fender FRs? To clarify, picture a V with the open part of the V facing towards your back while you play. I thin Dave mentioned that Jake E Lee will also often stand inside the V to catch the sound but maybe I misunderstood that part. I’ll try to find the video later after work to post it here haha
I dunno. Guitar cabs are pretty beamey. The FRs are far less so. Not sure you'd be accomplishing the same effect...whatever that's supposed to be lol

Just got my fr10 delivered today. Very low hiss audible when Im not playing which . If you take the hi cut to less then 9 o'clock at the most the hiss goes away. I ended up not using the hi cut bc it just doesn't bother me. Very impressed with it. And I've owned a clr, rcf, qsc, headrush, matrix fr10 and this is right up there w the clr at a cheaper price point and easily available. Nice way to end the year.

Just got my fr10 delivered today. Very low hiss audible when Im not playing which . If you take the hi cut to less then 9 o'clock at the most the hiss goes away. I ended up not using the hi cut bc it just doesn't bother me. Very impressed with it. And I've owned a clr, rcf, qsc, headrush, matrix fr10 and this is right up there w the clr at a cheaper price point and easily available. Nice way to end the year.

Reviving this thread a little..I'm considering an FR10 vs. FR12 situation. I currently have a EV PXM and I totally dig it. The question in my mind is for a stereo set up would it be good to go with a FR10 or FR12? I mostly play 80's and 90's rock/grunge. Does the 12inch speaker matter as much? It looks like the FR12 is more popular as it runs out of stock far quicker than FR10. But going by this thread, it seems that FR 10 is plenty good. I do plan to use it live in a 5 piece rock band context. Thoughts??

Reviving this thread a little..I'm considering an FR10 vs. FR12 situation. I currently have a EV PXM and I totally dig it. The question in my mind is for a stereo set up would it be good to go with a FR10 or FR12? I mostly play 80's and 90's rock/grunge. Does the 12inch speaker matter as much? It looks like the FR12 is more popular as it runs out of stock far quicker than FR10. But going by this thread, it seems that FR 10 is plenty good. I do plan to use it live in a 5 piece rock band context. Thoughts??
I have the FR10 and the EV PXM and I like the interaction between the 2, I run in stereo...for me there is plenty of bass in the FR10.
I play 70's rock, blues and some reggae.
I doubt you could go wrong with either units.

I have not tried the FR 12, but I just got my FR 10 and it kicks ass. Definitely no shortage of bottom end.

Back
Top Bottom