Fender Tone Master FR10

Did someone compared those to the mf 10frfr
From redsound ?
I don’t have access to one but there are some comparisons that can be made anyhow.

• Size and weight are in the same ballpark
  • Red sound has more low end specd
  • Fender has some EQ which can be used to adjust a bit for the room. To me, the cut is the handiest thing to tweak.
  • Fender has the tilt back legs
  • Redsound is $1300 mono and $2400 stereo, Fender is $500 and $1000.
The Redsound needs to perform appreciably better given the price difference.

After using the FR-10 at 2 gigs with a fairly loud 8 piece band, I found I had
to crank it up to between 1-2 O'Clock, and I still had a tough time hearing it.
I was at pretty close range too. A bit surprising since dialing it in at home, I had
it around 10 O'Clock and it sounded awfully loud.

To be fair, I didn't want to jack it up too much and overpower the nearby players.
The tone controls came in handy to knock down some treble. Didn't sound quite
as full as a 12" cab for clean stuff, but the sound was good nonetheless.

I also had keyboard monitors very close and they were quite loud at both gigs.

So, the recurring advice here to dial in your tones at gig level really is important.
and approximating gig volume when you're at home is probably louder than
you would expect. I will probably pull the trigger on a 2nd FR-10.

After using the FR-10 at 2 gigs with a fairly loud 8 piece band, I found I had
to crank it up to between 1-2 O'Clock, and I still had a tough time hearing it.
I was at pretty close range too. A bit surprising since dialing it in at home, I had
it around 10 O'Clock and it sounded awfully loud.

To be fair, I didn't want to jack it up too much and overpower the nearby players.
The tone controls came in handy to knock down some treble. Didn't sound quite
as full as a 12" cab for clean stuff, but the sound was good nonetheless.

I also had keyboard monitors very close and they were quite loud at both gigs.

So, the recurring advice here to dial in your tones at gig level really is important.
and approximating gig volume when you're at home is probably louder than
you would expect. I will probably pull the trigger on a 2nd FR-10.
What level were you sending the FR10? How loud are your presets? I generally shoot for around 0db like the factory presets. I had the FM9 out1 about noon and the FR10 around 1 o’clock. That was way louder than I play on stage for any sort of normal gig.

What level were you sending the FR10? How loud are your presets? I generally shoot for around 0db like the factory presets. I had the FM9 out1 about noon and the FR10 around 1 o’clock. That was way louder than I play on stage for any sort of normal gig.
And Output setting of +4dB or -10dB? That's important ;)

At the last 2 shows I did, on my FM3 I had the output setting at +4 with presets averaging around 0db, the FM3 output knob around 3/4 and the FR-12 volume at 12 or 1 o’clock. That’s with the cab angled back and pointed right at me like a wedge. I could hear it, but it wasn’t super loud. A signal/clip LED would have been a nice feature to have on this thing so you at least know if you’re maxing out your headroom.

-Aaron

I had Output 1 at noon to start. Out 1 L to FOH, Out 1 R to FM9.
The scenes were all leveled to just below 0 db using the Preset leveler.
I just looked at Output 1 & 2. Both are set to -10db. But this is the way
I've been using the III for years. Usually with a Power Amp and reg Guitar cab on stage.

I used the same setup for 4 piece band in a quieter setting and had plenty of Volume
with the FR-10 at 10 O'clock.

I just set Output 1 & 2 to +4 and had to drop Output 1 Volume to 9 O'clock for
approx the same volume. I'll try running like this and see how it works out.

Thanks!

I don’t have access to one but there are some comparisons that can be made anyhow.

• Size and weight are in the same ballpark
  • Red sound has more low end specd
  • Fender has some EQ which can be used to adjust a bit for the room. To me, the cut is the handiest thing to tweak.
  • Fender has the tilt back legs
  • Redsound is $1300 mono and $2400 stereo, Fender is $500 and $1000.
The Redsound needs to perform appreciably better given the price difference.
Interesting that Red Sound speakers are now available from Fractal. I agree that we need a good head-to-head comparison between these and Fender's new offerings.

Interesting that Red Sound speakers are now available from Fractal. I agree that we need a good head-to-head comparison between these and Fender's new offerings.
You might be confusing G66 (a Fractal distributor) with Fractal?

Edit:

Nevermind :)

Last edited:
A small error in the message, it is Blueamp which manufactures the CUBO.
It's a small Stereo FRFR amp equipped with 2 8" speakers with axial tweeter mounted in bass reflex
the speakers are powered by a class D amp, it seems to me, 2X 130W rms.
I had the FR-10 and the Cubo side by side last week; so I did a little comparative test by playing alternately on the 2 amps, a funky little loop in the style of Corry Wong, that's what I'm preparing at the moment.
The underlying question for me was whether or not I should keep the FR-10, knowing that I was already quite unhappy with the hiss generated by the amp.
Sound test done at home volume.
Overall the rendering of the 2 amps was quite similar with a slight preference for the CUBO which seemed more punchy to me.
The only judgment was my ears so it's very subjective.
My listening distance was approximately quite close, so advantage to the CUBO's co-axial tweeter in this situation.
In general I have a preference for rather tight guitar sounds without too much bass, so 8 or 10" speakers are my preference, I find that the guitar fits better in a group with a lot of musicians

Last edited:
How does the FR-10 sound at very low volume?

I ask because I’m not happy with my Fender Tone Master Deluxe at low volume. On the .2 watt setting, with channel volume at 5-8 or so and guitar up full, the sound is mushy. At .5 watts it sounds glorious, but I often want a lower volume than that.

If the FR-10 sounds good at low volume, I'll want one to use with my FM3 instead of my studio monitors.

On the .2 watt setting, with channel volume at 5-8 or so and guitar up full, the sound is mushy
This is what I might expect from a TMDeluxe since afaik it's emulating the Deluxe tube amp + a load box, so when virtually loaded down to 0.2w with hi ch volume, it's emulated power section would likely be pushed into compression / distortion (which is what you're likely hearing, and for that reason, not really a good solution for monitoring a modeller at low volume). TMFRs on the other hand are just FR power amps afaik, so I would not expect those to compress / distort or add hi amounts of coloration at any volume.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom