Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I bet with your ears and tools, you can make 27lbs sound exactly like 55lbs.

That's the whole reasoning behind my FR journey. Reducing weight and keeping the tone intact. Leave the tubes and transformers at home ... and only we few would even know.
I do love that amp though. It's the best amp for Jazz that I've ever played through.

The 55 watt version only comes with a 15" speaker but I wanted a 12 so I contacted Rivera and they said they'd build me one.

I know that Paul chose the 15 for a reason and wondered what I'd been losing by not opting for the 15 in my combo. I considered having a 15" extension cabinet built but it occurred to me that my Rivera Sub 1 300 watt subwoofer could more than fill out the bottom and do it significantly better than just by adding a 15.

So I contacted Rivera and asked them if I could have the sub's grill cloth changed to match and they were willing to do it. When finished the rig will look like this:

53712966659_a9ca50785e_b.jpg

For me, this amp is a dream come true. Coupled with the FM9 it can do anything I'd ever want to do on a Jazz gig. So yes, most of the time I'll leave the tubes and transformers at home but on gigs where I feel led to do so, I'll bring it out and enjoy what will for me be a special occasion. If I didn't like this rig so much I'd never bother to haul it out.

I do love that amp though. It's the best amp for Jazz that I've ever played through.

The 55 watt version only comes with a 15" speaker but I wanted a 12 so I contacted Rivera and they said they'd build me one.

I know that Paul chose the 15 for a reason and wondered what I'd been losing by not opting for the 15 in my combo. I considered having a 15" extension cabinet built but it occurred to me that my Rivera Sub 1 300 watt subwoofer could more than fill out the bottom and do it significantly better than just by adding a 15.

So I contacted Rivera and asked them if I could have the sub's grill cloth changed to match and they were willing to do it. When finished the rig will look like this:

For me, this amp is a dream come true. Coupled with the FM9 it can do anything I'd ever want to do on a Jazz gig. So yes, most of the time I'll leave the tubes and transformers at home but on gigs where I feel led to do so, I'll bring it out and enjoy what will for me be a special occasion. If I didn't like this rig so much I'd never bother to haul it out.
That is beautiful!!

I’ve got the 15” version if anyone wants it. Never used…

Well, while waiting for the V2 (added to the waitlist early April) - I went ahead and did the factory warranty for my FR-10. And while the hiss is gone, the sound quality is horrible. The best description is when I first got my ToneMaster Pro and FR-10 - I didn't use a balanced cable and the sound was muffled. With the new Fender warranty pre-amp board - this is exactly what it sounds like. My guess is either a faulty board or improper installation. Sigh.

Question: My hope is that the V2 board will replace Fender's bad warranty board. If so, I won't bother to deal with Fender support again and simply fix it when I get my V2 board.

I asked my rep at Sweetwater about this today and he said the ones in stock are the new ones, and that "...they are definitely better, but they do still have a small hiss to them". I'm on the fence, as I'd like to get one, but (1) that isn't a ringing endorsement, and (2) I'm also tempted to go with the Laney LFR212, despite the added weight and cost.

Well, while waiting for the V2 (added to the waitlist early April) - I went ahead and did the factory warranty for my FR-10. And while the hiss is gone, the sound quality is horrible. The best description is when I first got my ToneMaster Pro and FR-10 - I didn't use a balanced cable and the sound was muffled. With the new Fender warranty pre-amp board - this is exactly what it sounds like. My guess is either a faulty board or improper installation. Sigh.

Question: My hope is that the V2 board will replace Fender's bad warranty board. If so, I won't bother to deal with Fender support again and simply fix it when I get my V2 board.
I use the fractal fm9 with 2 fr-12s and with the stock or the v2 it is anything but muffled.
Sorry you are having issues!

Is your tweeter working? Is it plugged in?

Back
Top Bottom