Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

...it's about sound. Not looks. I only made the comment with the photo of the tweeds as you had mentioned a tweed so thought it was an aesthetic thing that you didn't like. Anyway, all about sound...

To be clear, no one is saying that someone should or should not choose the FR-12 due to it's looks. The issue raised was whether or not it looking like a HRD was a negative or not. You were right thinking that it was an aesthetic issue being discussed. The question of sound is a completely different question.

Most agree that the FR-12 sounds great for what it is and with certain modifications it even sounds better. But in addition to appearance, weight and price point are also things to consider even if none are as important as tone. While I agree that tone is the most important consideration I wouldn't say it's the only consideration. At my age the weight of the FR-12 is a major plus. Hauling around my CLR that weights 40 lbs is much more of a chore and pole mounting it is even more of one.

For me the FR-12's looks, resembling a traditional combo, even the "lowly" HRD, was just icing on the cake. Icing is not as important as the cake itself but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the icing. I personally like that it resembles a HRD, Eric does not. Tone may be most important but we still all have our preferences regarding appearance.

To be clear, no one is saying that someone should or should not choose the FR-12 due to it's looks. The issue raised was whether or not it looking like a HRD was a negative or not. You were right thinking that it was an aesthetic issue being discussed. The question of sound is a completely different question.

Most agree that the FR-12 sounds great for what it is and with certain modifications it even sounds better. But in addition to appearance, weight and price point are also things to consider even if none are as important as tone. While I agree that tone is the most important consideration I wouldn't say it's the only consideration. At my age the weight of the FR-12 is a major plus. Hauling around my CLR that weights 40 lbs is much more of a chore and pole mounting it is even more of one.

For me the FR-12's looks, resembling a traditional combo, even the "lowly" HRD, was just icing on the cake. Icing is not as important as the cake itself but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the icing. I personally like that it resembles a HRD, Eric does not. Tone may be most important but we still all have our preferences regarding appearance.
I totally agree with you. As you can see, I myself have two FR12s and in the middle the HRD and HRD Cab. Love the sound and the looks of them. Last piece of the puzzle for me is two V2 preamps and and a couple more road cases then I'll be in hog heaven! ;) my setup.jpeg

Last edited:
That rig must sound great...nicely done!
Thank you and it does sound awesome! Absolutely love it and couldn't be happier. Think it gives me everything I need while I improve my skills and learn more and more. Also, because it sounds so good, I find myself being much more creative and playing every single day and that alone is improving my playing skills. So I feel pretty blessed right now. :grinning:

Back
Top Bottom