Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Are these serial numbers posted somewhere?

For any cabinet within the applicable Serial Number range of CHNA23XXXXXX through CHNI23XXXXXX, with “X” equaling any single-digit number, we will be replacing the FR’s pre-amplifier PCB with a newly revised version, at no charge to the consumer. Please reach out to one of our Electronics Service Centers to have your cabinet upgraded. You can find the nearest one using the link below:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/service-centers

Beneath the phone number, you can check the Service Center's designation. Please contact service centers with the "services electronics" designation to have your cabinet upgraded.

Feel free to get in touch with us if you are having issues locating an Electronics Service Center near you. We will be happy to assist.

The old me loves it. The new wannabe-minimalist me is having PTSD flashbacks of building massive and complex pedalboards. It's so bad I've considered downsizing to an FM3. I'm seeeeeriously jonesing for the Gen 4 units in hopes that they manage a smaller footprint somehow.
I got the WDW bug from seeing your rig. That pedalboard was next level.

If you downsize that rug that I love .. I would give it a great home 🤣

For any cabinet within the applicable Serial Number range of CHNA23XXXXXX through CHNI23XXXXXX, with “X” equaling any single-digit number, we will be replacing the FR’s pre-amplifier PCB with a newly revised version, at no charge to the consumer. Please reach out to one of our Electronics Service Centers to have your cabinet upgraded. You can find the nearest one using the link below:

https://www.fender.com/en-US/service-centers

Beneath the phone number, you can check the Service Center's designation. Please contact service centers with the "services electronics" designation to have your cabinet upgraded.

Feel free to get in touch with us if you are having issues locating an Electronics Service Center near you. We will be happy to assist.
I don’t get what Fender’s doing, I took a peek and I have their mods but my serial number starts with CHND (April 2024 bought direct from Fender) so why modify the board, ship to the customer and then make them get it repaired? Yes it still hisses.

I don’t get what Fender’s doing, I took a peek and I have their mods but my serial number starts with CHND (April 2024 bought direct from Fender) so why modify the board, ship to the customer and then make them get it repaired? Yes it still hisses.
I bet they haven't "fixed" a single FR under warranty. Seems sketchy as 💩

But yes the IC swap fix absolutely still hisses .. just less.

Even the V2 still hisses a tiny bit. I can make it pretty much dead silent.... But the price wouldst jive with most of us.

Here is a conversation starter:
They have stopped calling the horn a compression driver in all the recent marketing. I believe it is a cheap piezo. I am about to drop the truth. Publically 🙂. The horn sounds nasty to me. I bet I am right. The driver has a heat sink on it like the cheap headrush / alto HF driver. Hoping the threads are standard. This will be an easy fix.

What say you good folks?

Last edited:
Once upon a time I was installing my v2 on one of my FR10s. When I got done I plugged it and lo and behold I was pleased with the sound. So I did the same install on my other one and all was right with the world until I had them turned on, up and playhing with a stereo delay, one of those dualie deals with 1/4 notes on one side and 1/8th notes on the other.

One FR10 sounded a bit shrill, not bad, but a little icey. The other one sounded muffled a little. Less ice picky. So I took the less ice picky one apart and in the process of reassembling on install, I had disconnected the horn.

Not going to lie, the sound without the horn was not all that bad to my ears. So, uhhhh yeah, I run my high cut at 11 o' clock now and perfectly happy with it. Could probably disconnect the horn again and just leave it alone :p

I bet they haven't "fixed" a single FR under warranty. Seems sketchy as 💩

But yes the IC swap fix absolutely still hisses .. just less.

Even the V2 still hisses a tiny bit. I can make it pretty much dead silent.... But the price wouldst jive with most of us.

Here is a conversation starter:
They have stopped calling the horn a compression driver in all the recent marketing. I believe it is a cheap piezo. I am about to drop the truth. Publically 🙂. The horn sounds nasty to me. I bet I am right.

What say you good folks?
Agreed. I've been able to play through other speakers with a different configuration, and preamp hiss aside, there is a noticeable difference, which to my ears represents an improvement. I believe that is why the Resound Elis.8s seemed so mellow to me at first.

Waiting for ceba covers for the FM9 and HX. And both a usb hub to run all the editors at once, and a midi thru to add control for the strymons.

Been waiting for the ZenRigs site to restock. He’s had up that it was supposed to be restocked in March… he’s a one man show like you also
Edit: Saw in another post he is trying for July

Last edited:
If I were to replace the cut filter for the cut knob.. and instead make it a dedicated level control for the horn... it would eliminate an eq stage and allow us to cut the horn off completely. it would just require an anti-log pot . And as a bonus it would mean even less noise and less components,

What if the cut knob worked exactly like the stock knob from 7:00 to 12:00 and then rolls off to zero from 12:00 a 5:00? It would not be as faithful to the original design, but a drastic improvement I think.

That and a proper compression driver (if it will couple to the stock waveguide).. and the FR will be a major contenter.

Just thinking out loud. 😎

Last edited:
If I were to replace the cut filter for the cut knob.. and instead make it a dedicated level control for the horn... it would eliminate an eq stage and allow us to cut the horn off completely. it would just require an anti-log pot . And as a bonus it would mean even less noise (about 25% reduction) and less components,

It would not be faithful to the original design, but a drastic improvement I think.

That and a proper compression driver (if it will couple to the stock waveguide).. and the FR will be a major contenter.

Plans
Cat Working GIF by Looney Tunes

If I were to replace the cut filter for the cut knob.. and instead make it a dedicated level control for the horn... it would eliminate an eq stage and allow us to cut the horn off completely. it would just require an anti-log pot . And as a bonus it would mean even less noise and less components,

What if the cut knob worked exactly like the stock knob from 7:00 to 12:00 and then rolls off to zero from 12:00 a 5:00? It would not be as faithful to the original design, but a drastic improvement I think.

And just like that a new rabbit hole appeared right before his eyes! 🤣 Who's responsible for dangling that carrot in front of Liam?! LOLcarrot.jpg

Last edited:

Perhaps you should just produce a FR12 competitor? Maybe contract with a cabinet company? I would certainly be interested.

Back
Top Bottom